By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A good time to invest in a 4k TV? (Next 15 months)

Get 4K OLED if anything. Dont settle for anything less, OLED is the way to go

Around the Network
Conina said:
Intrinsic said:

No. In case you don't know (and i was surprised when i found this out too) The TVs with the flat out best response times are Vizio TVs. And you can get 4k HDR for as little as $600...

Do you have some URLs for good 4K-Vizio models with full HDR support for $600 or less? Perhaps some reviews for these models, too?

the Vizio, D series are the cheapest but onky support 4k. You can get a 50" for under $500.

The M series are the cheapest that support both 4k and HDR. And you can get a 50" for under $800. 

You can check amazon for prices and YouTube for reviews. Outside their remarkable response times they also offer industry leading "entry price" black levels due to their local dimming zones backlight tech. Big deal for TVs at this price point. 

The real important thing here though is not to just run off and buy a TV. If you wait till around black Friday or Easter Monday you will get some ridiculous deals on most of those TVs, it's not unlikely to find yourself spending as much as 30-40% off on them. 

I didn't even start off looking to a Vizio, O started off looking at a Sony 4k HDR tv that cost around $1300 then I gravitated from that through LG all the way down to a Vizio.

The M series doesn't come with a remote, it comes witf a 6" android tablet thst also acts as its remoye with google cast built into it. 

Personally, I'd wait until 2017 to buy a 4K TV. HDR was finally defined and standardize earlier this year. I'd give it until 2017 for specs and tech to "iron out" by then.

Intrinsic said:
tiffac said:

Ugh... I guess I will cry for the meantime until the prices go down :(

Prices go down? Just what are you expecting or willing to spend on a TV?

Interesting fact; you can get a 55" 4k tv today for significantly less thsn you could get a 1080p 46" TV 3, 4, 5 or even 6 years ago.

You can get a 55" 4k tv today for under $499...... And a 50" 4k TV for under $450. And with smart timing, around the fall season you will probably be able to get them for as much as 30% less.

TVs are super cheap these days. I am really curious to know what you consider as affordable, how much did you get your current TV for?

If we live in the same country with the same currency, I wouldn't be this sad because I need a new TV.

Kerotan said:

Then I'll be all set until about 2020 when I'll add the PS5 to my set up.  Comsole gaming has never been simpler! 

I don't know about that. With all of these mid-gen upgrades I'd say it's more complicated than before.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Our old arse TV broke pretty recently. The lamp inside it went RIP. So we are 110% going to buy a 4k HDR TV very soon. Most likely going to go with a Samsung this time around with their SUHD tvs instead of Sony like we went last time.

I think what I might end up doing is buying the x1s for the living room where the TV is and buy the Neo for my room. That way, I can play the games I want at 1080p while my parents can have their 4k stuff.

You sure like using the term 110%.

I only got an HD TV in 2014, so I may wait until maybe 2020 before I go 4K.

Intrinsic said:

You can get a 55" 4k tv today for under $499...... And a 50" 4k TV for under $450. And with smart timing, around the fall season you will probably be able to get them for as much as 30% less.

Intrinsic said:
Conina said:

But if you want a 4K-TV with HDR and a good response time, the prices are way over $500: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

And I wouldn't recommend a 4K-TV without HDR for people interested in the PS4 Pro or XBO S and neither a slow panel for console gaming in general. 

No. In case you don't know (and i was surprised when i found this out too) The TVs with the flat out best response times are Vizio TVs. And you can get 4k HDR for as little as $600 and just 4k for under $500.

Intrinsic said:
Conina said:

Do you have some URLs for good 4K-Vizio models with full HDR support for $600 or less? Perhaps some reviews for these models, too?

the Vizio, D series are the cheapest but onky support 4k. You can get a 50" for under $500.

The M series are the cheapest that support both 4k and HDR. And you can get a 50" for under $800. 

You can check amazon for prices and YouTube for reviews. Outside their remarkable response times they also offer industry leading "entry price" black levels due to their local dimming zones backlight tech. Big deal for TVs at this price point. 

So your prices for a 50'' 4K TV suitable for PS4 Pro have gone up from $450 to $600 to $800. After you rejected my objection (prices for a good 4K HDR TV with good response times way over $500) with a "No".

And you are still vaguely recommending whole TV model-series, not the best models within a series. Response times are often different for different models within a series, response time in HDR mode is often a lot slower than the response time with HDR off.

Conina said:
Intrinsic said:

TVs are super cheap these days. I am really curious to know what you consider as affordable, how much did you get your current TV for?

But if you want a 4K-TV with HDR and a good response time, the prices are way over $500: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

And I wouldn't recommend a 4K-TV without HDR for people interested in the PS4 Pro or XBO S and neither a slow panel for console gaming in general. 

I think we should wait a year until the oled screens release.  Should bring prices down and you'd expect response times to be better by then aswell. 

Conina said:
Intrinsic said:

Intrinsic said:

No. In case you don't know (and i was surprised when i found this out too) The TVs with the flat out best response times are Vizio TVs. And you can get 4k HDR for as little as $600 and just 4k for under $500.

Intrinsic said:

So your prices for a 50'' 4K TV suitable for PS4 Pro have gone up from $450 to $600 to $800. After you rejected my objection (prices for a good 4K HDR TV with good response times way over $500) with a "No".

And you are still vaguely recommending whole TV model-series, not the best models within a series. Response times are often different for different models within a series, response time in HDR mode is often a lot slower than the response time with HDR off.

ok let me make this simple.

You can get a great 50" 4k tv for under $500 with response times under 20ms, this is exceptional for HDTVs considering what you get from the Sony or Samsung's are in the 60ms+ range.

You an get a 50" 4k HDR Tv for under $850 from a similar brand but at a higher model series which throws in things like a Tablet for a remote which is obviously jacking up the price with similar or at least better response times.

And having said all that, I am also saying that based on when you choose to buy these TVs you can get extremely great deals for them. You can literally end up buying a $800 TV for as little as $550-$600 and even less for a TV that started off at $500. 

Lastly, I'm.not vaguely recommending anythjng. I'm pointing out 50" tVs cause thats the size anyone that is price concious should be looking at. If you want the "best" of anything, then price simply shouldnt be a factor for you. And if that was the case, we won't even be having this converstaion.