By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A good time to invest in a 4k TV? (Next 15 months)

Captain_Yuri said:

Our old arse TV broke pretty recently. The lamp inside it went RIP. So we are 110% going to buy a 4k HDR TV very soon. Most likely going to go with a Samsung this time around with their SUHD tvs instead of Sony like we went last time.

I think what I might end up doing is buying the x1s for the living room where the TV is and buy the Neo for my room. That way, I can play the games I want at 1080p while my parents can have their 4k stuff.

here is a good website if u want to research http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best

Around the Network
Conina said:
Intrinsic said:

No. In case you don't know (and i was surprised when i found this out too) The TVs with the flat out best response times are Vizio TVs. And you can get 4k HDR for as little as $600...

Do you have some URLs for good 4K-Vizio models with full HDR support for $600 or less? Perhaps some reviews for these models, too?

I was on another forum and having a similar discussion and someone provided this link.

It's a 40" 4k HDR Samsung tv for under $450

A 55" model from the same series will set you back around under $800.

Intrinsic said:
Conina said:

Do you have some URLs for good 4K-Vizio models with full HDR support for $600 or less? Perhaps some reviews for these models, too?

I was on another forum and having a similar discussion and someone provided this link.

The 15" difference is a HUGE difference.  The natural reation is to subtract 40" from 55" to get your difference.  It's doesn't work like that because it's not just a linear dimension.  It's a dimension on a diagonal that effect both width and length.  A 55" Samsung in general is worth $800.  

Ok, so if 40 inches is too small, is 49 inches good?

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR49X800D-Class-Ultra-Black/dp/B01FWIEO6A/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473346325&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=4ktv+hdr

Looking at this tv currently.

LivingMetal said:
Intrinsic said:

The 15" difference is a HUGE difference.  The natural reation is to subtract 40" from 55" to get your difference.  It's doesn't work like that because it's not just a linear dimension.  It's a dimension on a diagonal that effect both width and length.  A 55" Samsung in general is worth $800.  

Fair enough, then get it in 50" that's still under $650. Or jist go for the 55".... either way wait till the deals for them are on. 

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Our old arse TV broke pretty recently. The lamp inside it went RIP. So we are 110% going to buy a 4k HDR TV very soon. Most likely going to go with a Samsung this time around with their SUHD tvs instead of Sony like we went last time.

I think what I might end up doing is buying the x1s for the living room where the TV is and buy the Neo for my room. That way, I can play the games I want at 1080p while my parents can have their 4k stuff.

You sure like using the term 110%.

Mhmm. I use it when I am very sure about something

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Intrinsic said:
LivingMetal said:

Fair enough, then get it in 50" that's still under $650. Or jist go for the 55".... either way wait till the deals for them are on. 

Buy the biggest you can afford, but distance from your televison does play a factor in determining size.  How far will you be sitting from you future televsion?  

craighopkins said:
Captain_Yuri said:

here is a good website if u want to research http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/video-gaming/best

Yeaa I used that site. I am leaning towards this one: http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

It looks like it is really good at pretty much everything but of course, it is also expensive.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

LivingMetal said:
Intrinsic said:

Buy the biggest you can afford, but distance from your televison does play a factor in determining size.  How far will you be sitting from you future televsion?  

Currently I'm sitting around 10ft away from a 100" projection screen. But I'm planning on changing things up this year. So gonna be sitting around 6-8ft from my gaming screen in my "gaming corner".

So looking at anything from a 50" up to a 65". 

A 50" of the Sammy I linked above and a PS4 pro both come in at just under $1030. But I'm guessing if I wait till around black Friday which also happens to be when the PS4pro is coming anyways I would get a better deal on the TV. At that point I could either spend less or spend the same but go for a bigger size. 

A high end tv doesn't cost $1000 but at least double. Unless you consider a samsung 6000 high end instead of the 9000 series

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar