By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A good time to invest in a 4k TV? (Next 15 months)

I'd like to talk about 4k TV'S.  

Their prices have become very affordable.  To the point where a pretty decent 55" costs only $800. A high end model less than $1500. I'm thinking within the next 12 months buying a 4k TV will be well worth it. 

If you're buying the ps4 pro you will get to enjoy some 4k gaming aswell as 4k streaming.  Now people might think,  I'll just wait until next gen to get the 4k TV but if you think about it,  buy the TV now and when the PS5 releases supporting even better 4k gaming you'll already have the TV for it.  

So instead of waiting for the ps5 you might aswell get the TV now or next year.  As soon as I can get a high end UHD 55" HDR 4K TV for under $1000 I'll be right on it.  

A lot of hardware to get in the next 12 months so it'll probably go like this.  

1: Ps4 Pro (trade in ps4)

2: psvr (probably buy early 2017)

3: 4k TV in 2017 (trade in my current TV).  

Then I'll be all set until about 2020 when I'll add the PS5 to my set up.  Comsole gaming has never been simpler! 

Around the Network

I just looked at the prices you mentioned and I felt like gouging my eyes out. :(

Our old arse TV broke pretty recently. The lamp inside it went RIP. So we are 110% going to buy a 4k HDR TV very soon. Most likely going to go with a Samsung this time around with their SUHD tvs instead of Sony like we went last time.

I think what I might end up doing is buying the x1s for the living room where the TV is and buy the Neo for my room. That way, I can play the games I want at 1080p while my parents can have their 4k stuff.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

tiffac said:
I just looked at the prices you mentioned and I felt like gouging my eyes out. :(

Haha these TV'S cost like $4k (pun intended)  a couple of years back.  

Kerotan said:
tiffac said:

Ugh... I guess I will cry for the meantime until the prices go down :(

Around the Network
tiffac said:
Kerotan said:

Ugh... I guess I will cry for the meantime until the prices go down :(

If money is an issue just hold out for the ps5 in about 4 years.  I bet you'll get a top end 55" UHD 4K HDR TV for $500 by then.  

Hell no. I wouldn't buy a 4K TV for at least 2 years, maybe even 3. The prices are too high, the penetration is too low, and the content is just not there yet.

Kerotan said: 

1: Ps4 Pro (trade in ps4)

1: PS4P does not support full 4k.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

It is, but I hate you.

The PS5 Exists. 

4K OLED is where it's at... provided you're fucking rich.
But yeah cheap 4k TVs have gotten super cheap recently. If your buying a TV anytime soon a 55 inch 4k really isn't that expensive anymore.

Maybe. But I will only buy a new TV when my current one breaks, and it's only 3 years old. So I'm in for the long run. Obviously that depends on Sony's build quality, but I'm dissatisfied with the Smart functions of the TV, will most likely switch back to Samsung.

EDIT: FYI your new TV will already come with a Netflix app with 4K/HDR compatibility.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"