By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A good time to invest in a 4k TV? (Next 15 months)

I think so. From what I've seen. 4K tvs have dropped in price faster than when TV first had LCD/LED/1080p.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
LivingMetal said:

Buy the biggest you can afford, but distance from your televison does play a factor in determining size.  How far will you be sitting from you future televsion?  

Currently I'm sitting around 10ft away from a 100" projection screen. But I'm planning on changing things up this year. So gonna be sitting around 6-8ft from my gaming screen in my "gaming corner".

So looking at anything from a 50" up to a 65". 

A 50" of the Sammy I linked above and a PS4 pro both come in at just under $1030. But I'm guessing if I wait till around black Friday which also happens to be when the PS4pro is coming anyways I would get a better deal on the TV. At that point I could either spend less or spend the same but go for a bigger size. 

Let me first give you my experience.  I once had my 60" in the "Alcove" where I was sitting 9.5 ft from the screen.  I later moved that 60" to the living room where it look better standing 16 ft from it.  I currently have a 55" in the "Alcove" which is working great.  I'd suspect a 65" tv would be too much from being only 8" away.  Get the best quality 50" you can afford.  You should have more than enough emmersion being around 7 ft away.

I might as well wait. Before you know it we'll all be going 8K TVs.

VGPolyglot said:

Yeah I'm waiting until next year 

What are the 3 things your 4k TV needs for proper HDR? Trying to explain it to a friend who's just about to buy a 4k TV!

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

8k TVs will be a really really really tough sell. From 10ft away on a 65"-85" tv i doubt anyone would obvioisly notice the difference between 4k amd 8k..... as it stands you actually have to come to under 4ft to obvioauky tell the difference between 1080p and 4k.

I think 4k is going to remain the standard for a very very very long time. 

Kerotan said:
What are the 3 things your 4k TV needs for proper HDR? Trying to explain it to a friend who's just about to buy a 4k TV!
  • Color bit depth: 10-bit signal
  • Color Palette: Wide Color Gamut
  • Display Reproduction: More than 93% of the DCI P3 color spectrum

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

No it's not. Wait for them to go mainstream, the prices will go down heavily. Also, no HDR, no buy.

Captain_Yuri said:
Kerotan said:
  • Color bit depth: 10-bit signal
  • Color Palette: Wide Color Gamut
  • Display Reproduction: More than 93% of the DCI P3 color spectrum

And there's a thing about it needed to be able to display 1BN colors or something like that? 

torok said:
No it's not. Wait for them to go mainstream, the prices will go down heavily. Also, no HDR, no buy.

The great news is were probably only 12 months away from them gone proper mainstream.  By the time the ps5 comes out in 4 years they'll be super mainstream and very affordable!  Good times ahead :)