By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox Scorpio's power advantage over PS4 Pro 'will be obvious'

I agree with Microsoft, the Scorpio will be just fine and it's a true mid generation upgrade. Where as the ps4 pro is a half step at best. The ps4 pro can't do true 4k gaming and that's the facts .
I am getting a Scorpio and I know alot of ppl that will as well.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
I agree with Microsoft, the Scorpio will be just fine and it's a true mid generation upgrade. Where as the ps4 pro is a half step at best. The ps4 pro can't do true 4k gaming and that's the facts .
I am getting a Scorpio and I know alot of ppl that will as well.

"The Xbox One cant do True 1080p gameing and thats the facts"    

Just because alot of games dont run 1080p on the Xbox One, doesnt mean its true for all games.

Just so you know the PS4 Pro does do "real" 4k (native) in some games, like "The Last of Us Remastered".

That will be out in real native 4k (no upscaleing), I watched the digital foundry video where they talk about the PS4 Pro, and they mention this.

So your "facts" are wrong, there will be native 4k games on the PS4 Pro, just not all of them.

Kinda like how the Xbox One, has alot of 720-900p games instead of the 1080p of the PS4.

Obvious as the PS3's power advantage over the X360?

Consumers do not really care about slight power differences, they are more sensitive to price and (quality) games!

LudicrousSpeed said:
The gap should be obvious. The Pro merely upgraded an already weak CPU. For all the talk Sony did about 4k, the games aren't native 4k, and it doesn't even play UHD discs.

Plus with Sony limiting what devs can do for Pro owners, I don't see the point in buying it. MP games can't run better on Pro because it would be bad for communities? Uh, ever hear of PC gaming?

I've asked you about this before, but i'm still confused as to why there's such a significant difference in your perception of the gap between the PS4 and X1, vs the Pro and Scorpio. Unknown variables could change this down the line (e.g. past it being 6tf, we know nothing about the Scorpio's GPU design), but as it currently stands the two comparisons seem very similar. I've rarely seen you express anything but apathy for the PS4's hardware advantage, and yet with the Scorpio you've consistently made the assumption it'll offer an advantage significantly larger (enough so for you to jump from apathy to praise). You never really properly addressed this before, so i guess i'll ask a different question: What kind of advantage would you consider "obvious"? Would you consider 1440p vs 4k enough (that being the same as 720p vs 1080p, ignoring diminishing returns)? Does it need to hit both a native 4k, and also offer major graphical improvements (assumably larger in most instance than what we're currently seeing between the Pro and maxed PC)? And i guess most importantly, if it doesn't offer want you want, and instead we end up with differences like 1800p vs 4k (the latter being 44% more), would you be disappointed with the Scorpio?

As i mentioned last times i asked you this stuff, i'm not in any respect trying to 'call you out'. I'm genuinely interested to know where your optimism comes from, and how that optimism would be realised in the real world. 

thismeintiel said:
Soundwave said:

Doubt Scorpio is launching at $499. I love that this narrative keeps getting pushed. MS taking their time to make a proper system that can actually function well on a 4KTV will allow them to launch at $399.99 by waiting for the proper technology to come down in price. 

Sony is the one IMO who is rushing for no good reason, with a system that can't really run native 4K games nor can it run 4K movies either, yet it's supposed to be the go to for people with a 4KTV? Gimme a break, Sony. 

Lol, rushing? No, Sony knows exactly what it's doing. Sony is getting out a mid-gen refresh, not a late-gen refresh. A late-gen refresh that will be obsolete within a year or so, when Sony announces the PS5, which will probably be 10+ Tflops. 

And as for $399 Scorpio, I wouldn't hold your breath. MS is already trying to prep everyone for a higher price with that talk about the GPU alone costing the same as the launch PS3.

Wow. Do you really believe that a 6-8tflops console will cost over $600? Especially with another year till the release, you're getting all pesimistic for nothing.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

I think MS should move up to 12GB to really push their advantage further. Gonna be hard for PS4 devs to make enough hoops to jump through to make up for 4GB less RAM. If PS4 could have 8GB in 2013, 12GB should be doable for the same price or less in 2017. 

barneystinson69 said:
thismeintiel said:

Lol, rushing? No, Sony knows exactly what it's doing. Sony is getting out a mid-gen refresh, not a late-gen refresh. A late-gen refresh that will be obsolete within a year or so, when Sony announces the PS5, which will probably be 10+ Tflops. 

And as for $399 Scorpio, I wouldn't hold your breath. MS is already trying to prep everyone for a higher price with that talk about the GPU alone costing the same as the launch PS3.

Wow. Do you really believe that a 6-8tflops console will cost over $600? Especially with another year till the release, you're getting all pesimistic for nothing.

And then Sony is supposed to launch a 10+ tflop console a year later? I guess it will cost $999.

barneystinson69 said:
thismeintiel said:

I have already quite clearly said what I thought it would be priced at, $499.  So, let's not be disingenuous to try and act like you have a point.  There's a reason MS talked about the price of the GPU, to brace people for a higher price.  They are going to ask for a higher price over the PS4 Pro, using the 4K Bluray and ~1.8 Tflops increase as justifications for said price.  Of course, that's not going to help when the Pro will most likely be $150 cheaper than it by the time it finally launches.

Soundwave said:

I think MS should move up to 12GB to really push their advantage further. Gonna be hard for PS4 devs to make enough hoops to jump through to make up for 4GB less RAM. If PS4 could have 8GB in 2013, 12GB should be doable for the same price or less in 2017. 

I doubt that'd have much of an effect on PS4 development. Certainly not in the time-frame such an advantage would be relevant, anyway. The overwhelming majority of the market (all version of the PS4, and both the base and S version of the X1) would still be working with 8GB. Developers aren't going to do anything with the 12GB that they can't conveniently scale down to all the other versions.

Zekkyou said:
Soundwave said:

I doubt that'd have much of an effect on PS4 development. Certainly not in the time-frame such an advantage would be relevant, anyway. The overwhelming majority of the market (all version of the PS4, and both the base and S version of the X1) would still be working with 8GB. Developers aren't going to do anything with the 12GB that they can't conveniently scale down to all the other versions.

Personally, I think some of these guys are going to be disappointed when the specs are announced for the Scorpio if they are building it up this much.  Things like using a Zen CPU + 12GB of RAM + a more powerful than 6 Tflops GPU.  Considering MS are basically doing the same thing as Sony, keeping Scorpio pretty much in the same family as the XBO as far as games are concerned, with only VR games being exclusive.  I think what it will end up being is basically a PS4 Pro, but with a 5.8-6 Tflops GPU instead of a 4.2 one.  I don't see it switching CPUs, but if it does, it won't be anything drastic.  Changing too much is going to make playing the same games a little more difficult.