By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox Scorpio's power advantage over PS4 Pro 'will be obvious'

I think it's a good idea for Microsoft to pursue a "most powerful" console angle again. It's the reason I bought into Xbox when they started. Nothing wrong with Sony making a beefier Playstation though, because there will be a market for both.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

Around the Network
slab_of_bacon said:
I think it's a good idea for Microsoft to pursue a "most powerful" console angle again. It's the reason I bought into Xbox when they started. Nothing wrong with Sony making a beefier Playstation though, because there will be a market for both.

Was power really the only reason you bought a OG Xbox? Some of the exclusives and console exclusives were among the best games of the 6th gen. Power is a reason some games skipped PS2, but the most appealing thing about OG Xbox wasn't power per se.

I think the more powerful angle is also good for Xbox, given they took a beating for having inferor specs. Now the narative has moved away from power to popularity. But people feeling like the best ports of games are on Xbox is good for them and it will potentially make Xbox the lead development platform again.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
slab_of_bacon said:

Was power really the only reason you bought a OG Xbox? Some of the exclusives and console exclusives were among the best games of the 6th gen. Power is a reason some games skipped PS2, but the most appealing thing about OG Xbox wasn't power per se.

I think the more powerful angle is also good for Xbox, given they took a beating for having inferor specs. Now the narative has moved away from power to popularity. But people feeling like the best ports of games are on Xbox is good for them and it will potentially make Xbox the lead development platform again.

It really was...  I wasn't a very discerning gamer and I can't say I have gotten much better since then.  But I wanted "the best" and it really lived up to my expectations at the time.  Of course, I didn't game on PC then either so it was the closest approximation.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

PS tends to have better exclusives, so I think MS should be going for the most powerful console angle from now on. Still can't believe they made such huge deal about the cloud and then this happens.

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Sony already has a baseline model console. Their mindset should be to create a truly powerful premium model which could reach as high a resolution and framerate and choices. The Scorpio more than likley will be able to reach 1080p 60fps out of the box as well as high resolution gaming. In the end its going to cost money, but we all knew that. The 4k blu ray lacking from the box is also going to hurt the PS4 pro.

The PS4 pro is essentially digital HDR gaming with a power boost and the scropio will be the first true glimpse of 4k multimedia as well as framerate and resolution boost for gamers.

Around the Network
kinisking said:
PS tends to have better exclusives, so I think MS should be going for the most powerful console angle from now on. Still can't believe they made such huge deal about the cloud and then this happens.

The cloud is pretty smooth. I dont notice my updates. It just happens smoothly. With my PS4 I get firmware notices and I have to stop what im doing to wait on it.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
kinisking said:

The cloud is pretty smooth. I dont notice my updates. It just happens smoothly. With my PS4 I get firmware notices and I have to stop what im doing to wait on it.

I'm talking about the cloud that was supposed to make xbox one's 10x more powerful...

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

kinisking said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'm talking about the cloud that was supposed to make xbox one's 10x more powerful...

Yeah, the cloud can't do that. Well not as long as we're dependent upon hardware power. MS was blowig smoke. Outside of that the online experience is superior.

JRPGfan said:
jardesonbarbosa said:
PS4 Pro won't sell that much because isn't really a good deal for general consumers and Xbox Scorpio will be released too late, since we will probably know about PS5 by then. Both will probably underperform.

Its 50$ more than the 1TB Xbox One Slim.

Its 3 times as powerfull.

Thats a "good deal" for the general consumers.

Its 720-900p on Xbox One Slim

vs

1440p-1800p on PS4 Pro

Thats alot of differnce for 50$, the only loss is if your a big movie watcher, that likes to buy 4k Blu-ray discs.

But if what you want is a games console, the PS4 Pro offers ALOT for 399$.

Its actually a $100 difference. The X1 hits 1080p pretty often the, so the resolutions often vary from 720p, 900p, and 1080p.

I doesn't look like PS4 Pro has a bundled game at launch. Bad move in my opinion, maybe that will change during the holiday.

If were talking about power for the price though, PS4 Pro is very impressive. But people looking primarily for power may have their eye on Scorpio next year.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

What will Microsoft do to counter PS4 Pro exactly? Do some marketing years before the launch of Scorpio to remember people not to buy the Pro and wait more than a year? Won't work.

The difference will not be so obvious, graphically speaking. They rather make some publicity of Xbox One S advantages: 4k bluray, retrocompatibility, etc. But all Sony has to do is keep pushing their exclusives and they win again.

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.