By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox Scorpio's power advantage over PS4 Pro 'will be obvious'

kinisking said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

I don't know....I don't think Power was that big of a factor. I think Sony just made all the right decisions this time around. Excellent Price point, a veery well built machine, great games and took teh steam from MS messing up so badly out the gate. But power was only a huge factor to some interent folks who were basttling it out. But to the rest it was not that big of a deal in my opinion.

Well 90% of the people I talked to said they swtiched because of 1080P, but that's just anectdotal evidence. 

Yeah most of us and out circles would think like that....but hey I love gaming and ever once tripped off of more pixels or this is 1080P and this is 900P or 720P. I just look for the games I love to play that is what is most important to me. And most others will do just that as well....look for the system that has the games they want to play or look for the one most of their friends have so that they can play together.

Power differences only truly matter to a few of us lol. But I do get what you are saying though!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
jason1637 said:

It's a more powerful Xbox One. MS is done with generations it seems like they will be realising xboxes and games will be compatible with as much xboxes as possible and the same games that on xbox one now will work in the future including 360 games that are BC. Its like PC but without the option to replace parts for more powerful parts, but you will need to do a full upgrade later down the line when the games wont be supported  on your current xbox one. When one decides to upgrade everything comes with you unlike how it works with console generations. 

When you have to buy a new Xbox eventually, it means that generations still exist. Backwards compatibility isn't a new feature and it doesn't mean that generations will cease to exist.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-14-project-scorpio-wont-have-any-exclusives

"Great thing is with Project Scorpio as part of #XboxOne family all your games will work, no Scorpio exclusives, so no one gets left behind," said head of Xbox Games marketing Aaron Greenberg on Twitter.

to me that is the difference.  it's iterative if you mandate the previous gen hardware must be fully supported.  that's what ps4 pro is.  that's what scorpio said at least at one point.  their messaging was confusing as ussual so who knows if they follow through.  but if scorpio launches and has a policy of no exclusives (outside of VR) it's not really a new generation.

kinisking said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

I don't know....I don't think Power was that big of a factor. I think Sony just made all the right decisions this time around. Excellent Price point, a veery well built machine, great games and took teh steam from MS messing up so badly out the gate. But power was only a huge factor to some interent folks who were basttling it out. But to the rest it was not that big of a deal in my opinion.

Well 90% of the people I talked to said they swtiched because of 1080P, but that's just anectdotal evidence. 

I don't know a single person who switched for 1080p, It was basically a combination of DRM, Kinect and price that turned them away.

They are far far to reliant on the power difference being what will get gamer's to come.

kinisking said:
whatever said:
MS shows they have not learned anything from the XB1 release. I guess they've convinced themselves that the PS4 outsold the XB1 because it was more powerful. Where it was their terrible reveal and the $100 price difference that was the real issue.

If Scorpio comes in at $499, and the PSPro is, by then, $299, the power difference will be irrelevant.

Power was a huge factor. 1080P was the reason why MANY people chose ps4 over xbox one. The 100$ price difference obviously didn't mean much because the ps4 is still much more popular. But at this point, the ps4 has such a huge lead that it doesn't really matter. I don't think MS can do anything. 

You don't know if power was a huge reason. For me it was a small part of the reason but the main thing was the way MS treated me with the 360. I had my 360 and while I loved it, it was annoying to see Sony releasing brand new IP's exlusive to the PS3 during the final year of the systems life as well as more games that were coming. MS was releasing junk and when I saw so many new Exclusives for Sony on release I realized why. The ababdoned the 360 to focus on the X1 and I was done with the company. I admit if the X1 was more powerful I would have to put some thought into my system of choice but I still would have went with PS4 cause the exclusives are always there for Sony. On top of that they are always trying new games new IP's. MS just wants to release Halo 55 and Gears of War 32. Yes I know not all of Sony's IP's are a hit but at least they are trying and that's what I want.

Around the Network
whatever said:
MS shows they have not learned anything from the XB1 release. I guess they've convinced themselves that the PS4 outsold the XB1 because it was more powerful. Where it was their terrible reveal and the $100 price difference that was the real issue.

If Scorpio comes in at $499, and the PSPro is, by then, $299, the power difference will be irrelevant.

I fully expect the Scorpio to come in at $499, at best $449, but the Pro won't be $299.  I think Sony will cut the Slim to $249 and the Pro to $349.  Still that'll be a $100 price difference at best, but more likely will end up being $150 difference.  The power difference isn't going to mean much when you count the price difference PLUS the 1 year headstart for the Pro PLUS the fact that Xbox no longer has exclusives, the reason to get a Scorpio diminishes quite a bit. 

MS made a mistake launching the Scorpio so late in the gen.  I know they want to go "generationless," but that doesn't mean anything when Sony and Nintendo aren't going that way AND the PS5 will most likely be out in 2019, and we'll be hearing rumors about it not too much longer after the Scorpio launches (maybe even leaked by Sony themselves.)  A system that will blast the Scorpio out of the water with 10+ Tflops, 12 GB of RAM, and a much better CPU.  MS will be playing catch up, again.  I doubt they want to or will be ready to announce a console a mere 1-1 1/2 years after the Scorpio launch.

thismeintiel said:
whatever said:

I fully expect the Scorpio to come in at $499, at best $449, but the Pro won't be $299.  I think Sony will cut the Slim to $249 and the Pro to $349.  Still that'll be a $100 price difference at best, but more likely will end up being $150 difference.  The power difference isn't going to mean much when you count the price difference PLUS the fact that Xbox no longer has exclusives, the reason to get a Scorpio diminishes quite a bit. 

MS made a mistake launching the Scorpio so late in the gen.  I know they want to go "generationless," but that doesn't mean anything when Sony and Nintendo aren't going that way AND the PS5 will most likely be out in 2019, and we'll be hearing rumors about it not too much longer after the Scorpio launches (maybe even leaked by Sony themselves.)  A system that will blast the Scorpio out of the water with 10+ Tflops, 12 GB of RAM, and a much better CPU.  MS will be playing catch up, again.  I doubt they want to or will be ready to announce a console a mere 1-1 1/2 years after the Scorpio launch.

Microsoft knows that if they were to release a next gen console this soon, it would almost all but negate their efforts with the Xbox One and leave developers unprepare for a new console generation.  And they have pretty much been loosing ground to the PS4 as we all know.  Almost every tactic they've used up until recently have hardly helped to successfully compete with the PS4.  In comes the "non-generational" console in an attempt to offer more  to stay revelant competing with the PS4.  But that's another year from now. Who know what will happen by then.  There's nothing substancial we can count on to really compare to.

Mr Puggsly said:
Shadow1980 said:

Assuming it's still going to have a 6 TFLOP GPU, that means the relative GPU power gap between the Scorpio and PS4 Pro is about the same as the relative GPU power gap between the PS4 and XBO. This likely won't make much of a difference for third-party games. First-party Xbox games will probably look a bit better than first-party PS4 games, but not massively. And if you don't have a 4K TV or plan on getting VR, there might not be much tangible benefit besides 1080p60 being a more common standard. Neither the Pro nor the Scorpio are a generational leap. It's obvious that they exist almost purely to take advantage of 4K, HDR, and VR, but are otherwise the same current-gen platforms we've had for the past 3 years.

EDIT: And on a further note, power has never determined the sales leader. The PS4 is literally the first time the most powerful console in a generation was also the sales leader. The Master System, Neo Geo, N64, Xbox, and PS3 all failed to be the #1 console of their respective generations. The PS4 is winning for reasons that have nothing to do with it being more powerful, and the Scorpio won't suddenly dominate just because it's more powerful, either. Consoles succeed on the merits of things like pricing, games, and marketing.

That extra power is going to allow alot of extra polish and/or performance.

For example 4K games on PS4 seem to be aiming for 30 fps. That extra power of Scorpio could bring that to 60 fps. That alone would be pretty significant. Even 1080p titles pushing PS4 Pro's specs could be 30 fps. Thats another scenario where Scorpio could push 60 fps.

So in my opinion, MS should push the performance edge on 60 when they can. Thats worth more than beating PS4 on pixel count.

Are there any games where the XBO runs it in 30 fps, but the PS4 runs it in 60 fps?

The only reason the power gap was an issue for ps4 vs x1, was because of the price. The ps4 was cheaper by $100 and more powerfull, so yea people gravitated towards it. Even after the kinect, it was the same price but the ps4 was still more powerfull. If I had no interest in any brands games or where my friends where, I would choose the more powerfull one for the same price. its really a no brainer.

With the scorpio it wont matter, cuz it will be hard for them to match the pro in price with the rumors of better cpu and 12gb ram and uhd player 6-8tflop gpu. It all sounds like it will be at least $100 more than the pro. Then you will se splits, some want more power nd will pay anything, some dont want to spend so much so they will setle for the pro, some will still not be able to aford the pro and have to get one of the slims.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

kinisking said:
whatever said:

Power was a huge factor. 1080P was the reason why MANY people chose ps4 over xbox one. The 100$ price difference obviously didn't mean much because the ps4 is still much more popular. But at this point, the ps4 has such a huge lead that it doesn't really matter. I don't think MS can do anything. 

But in this case both will be 4K. What now?