By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox Scorpio's power advantage over PS4 Pro 'will be obvious'

Jranation said:
Yes Microsoft!

Beat this out of the park!

Show how important that Power Advantage is/will be!

^ I believe this is sarcasm :)

People seem to forget:

N64 was more powerfull than Playstation 1.

Xbox/gamecub more powerfull than Playstation 2.

PS3,Xbox360 more powerfull than the Wii.

The only reason everyone is so hung up on power this gen, is because the PS4 was oddly enough the more powerfull console, while still winning the sales race.

But the past shows power isnt everything.  Games & Price, what your friends have, all matter a hell of alot more than power does.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Jranation said:
Yes Microsoft!

People seem to forget:

The only reason everyone is so hung up on power this gen, is because the PS4 was oddly enough the more powerfull console, while still winning the sales race.

But the past shows power isnt everything.  Games & Price, what your friends have, all matter a hell of alot more than power does.

Thankyou! XD 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

JRPGfan said:
Jranation said:
Yes Microsoft!

People seem to forget:

I had both a N64 and PS1 and a Gamecube and a PS2.

Oddly enough the N64 was my favourite console by a long shot and Gamecube was used more than my PS2. And it wasnt just the power factor, the entire package was better. Just my opinion. Power helps when you know how to use it. PS2 was claimed powerful by Sony by wireframe mode which tricked alot of users since the PS2 couldnt do many effects, where as the Gamecube was an actual technical marvel showcasing true preformance without taking the shortcuts.

The Scorpio announcement is one of the most half-assed announcements I can think of.

All this noise over something that's releasing a year from now, of course it's gonna be more powerful than the Pro, it has to be. Cookies, Penello ?

Let's see how expensive it's gonna be compared to the competition, I wonder if it's gonna take the destruction of Xbox brand further or actually leave its thumbprint in the market and on the consumers.

Mbolibombo said:
We're not going to see a PS5.. we are just going to see upgrades to a Playstationsystem, an Xbox system and so on. Just like the PRO and Scorpio. I truly believe that will be the case, didnt even someone from Microsoft said something along the lines?

I'm not particularly impressed by the PRO version of PS4, it's a half-baked 4k-system. Also not impressed by Xbox having the Scorpio released as late as next winter. But still, their system will support 4k to the fullest and that could possibly be my first 4K-system. I wont trade in my regular PS4 for a NEO ( a much cooler name than pro :P )

Sony stated clearly yesterday that they were not abandoning the generational model. There is no reason to think there will not be a PS5 at this time. However, it appears that Microsoft is trying to integrate their Xbox and PC platforms, and I suspect going going in this direction essentially means converting the xbox brand into living room based standard spec'd PCs that are easier to optimize for on a 'Big picture' Windows 10 OS. Sony has far less incentive to take this approach.

Around the Network

"We had the ability to look at doing an interim console this year if we wanted to. We thought about that. But we didn't think we could deliver, with the silicon that's out there, a true 4K gaming six teraflop machine this year. So we decided to wait until we hit the real spec that people were asking for."-Phil Spencer

That right there tells me Scorpio uses no Polaris GPU. The Silicon that has yet to enter the market is Vega- which has a higher perf per watt/FinFET scalability.

Vega is AMD's architecture aimed to battle the 1070/1080...so that is the perf level to expect....especially taking DX12 into consideration.

That extra year means no settling for checkerbox upscale on nearly every title and more native 4K games. When you look at Gears Ultimate Edition/Gears 4 /Forza Apex profile around 4K you end up with a 980Ti GPU...and that's no coincidence. They are going to massage that perf level in their games.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

RolStoppable said:
I would expect nothing less from the next generation Xbox.

It's not a next gen console though. 

JWeinCom said:
That being said, it will be very funny to see the people who made a big deal about the PS4 being more powerful suddenly claim that the difference isn't important.

A big difference though is that the Scorpio is coming a year after the PS4 Pro, while the original XBO came out after than the PS4. So, the PS4 was more powerful than a console that was released after.

RolStoppable said:
jason1637 said:

It's not a next gen console though. 

It launches four years after the Xbox One, is significantly more powerful and, by the sounds of it, will not be an overclocked version of the Xbox One but rather feature a completely new chipset. So the only metric by which it is not next gen is PR speech.

It's a more powerful Xbox One. MS is done with generations it seems like they will be realising xboxes and games will be compatible with as much xboxes as possible and the same games that on xbox one now will work in the future including 360 games that are BC. Its like PC but without the option to replace parts for more powerful parts, but you will need to do a full upgrade later down the line when the games wont be supported  on your current xbox one. When one decides to upgrade everything comes with you unlike how it works with console generations. 

RolStoppable said:
jason1637 said:

It's a more powerful Xbox One. MS is done with generations it seems like they will be realising xboxes and games will be compatible with as much xboxes as possible and the same games that on xbox one now will work in the future including 360 games that are BC. Its like PC but without the option to replace parts for more powerful parts, but you will need to do a full upgrade later down the line when the games wont be supported  on your current xbox one. When one decides to upgrade everything comes with you unlike how it works with console generations. 

When you have to buy a new Xbox eventually, it means that generations still exist. Backwards compatibility isn't a new feature and it doesn't mean that generations will cease to exist.

Not necessarily because PC gamers eventually need to buy new PCs. Newer parts might not be compatible with older PCs so the PC gamer will buy a new one to run the latest games that doesn't mean its a new gen. If i want to play xenoblade 3D ill need to upgrade to a New 3DS, that doesn't mean its a new generation.  Im not saying generations will cease to exist forever. Im sure Sony and Nintendo will continue with console generations but it seems like MS is going another path without Xbox generations.