By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumour: Nintendo NX To Feature A Split D-Pad And Share Button

Split D-Pad? Ew

Share button is alright, as the Select button is nearly useless anyway.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
SuperNova said:

I think this is for multiplayer on the go. With a split D-Pad you can make the D-pad work like face buttons (and vice versa). So if the controllers are detachable you can have local 2-player games wih everyone having roughly the same controller layout.

Also, that picture gets a gold star.

I am convinced that multiplayer on the go for NX will be achieved through wireless communication between two or more NXes. Regardless of what NX turns out to be, this is how multiplayer on the go will be done, because giving each one of two players half a controller greatly limits the games that can be played in multiplayer.

That would definitively be the preferable option, but I can see Nintendo going for a 'local' option with this. They love local multiplayer and have knack for unusual and sometimes limiting control schemes.

It's also about the only thing I could come up with, after hearing 'detachable controllers + Split D-Pad'. If it's not local multiplayer on the go, why make the controller detachable at all? Why split the D-pad? I guess Nintendo will tell us in due time......

All Nintendo has to do is give us the GameCube controller with 2 bumper buttons instead of one, and 4 normal diamond-pattern face buttons and we're good to go. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel... people have been gaming on the same controller layout for 25 years now. We don't want to be forced to get accustomed to a new layout every 5 years that isn't even as good as the standard one we've already got.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

I've said it before even way before all these leaks, if making a hybrid Nintendo's "gimmick" is going to be that it's a portable that you set down on say a table and it "invites" people to gather around and play together. 

This will by Nintendo's "answer" to anti-social gaming (ie: people walking around with their head buried in their phone or VR). It's a very Nintendo-ey thing to do. 

To have the break apart controller thing function for multiplayer the d-pad on one side is going to have to be used as buttons. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way around that. 

I still also think Nintendo's old Micro VS. System is partly a design influence here ....

If two players were able to play this thing back in the day, NX's bigger HD display should be a lot better, lol. But I think the break apart controller is for multiplayer in a pinch, not every situation is going to have to 2 NX units laying around and Nintendo wants people to gather and play together, so the two break apart controllers have to be able to accomodate that. 

It's also possible that perhaps the NX can stream to local displays ... like it could very easily ship with an small receiver that can connect to a smartphone or tablet or TV nearby so a person for say Mario Kart multiplayer can use that as a second screen, while the other player can use the NX screen. 

Im pretty sure there have never been this many rumours about a new confirmed console in human history.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
SuperNova said:

That would definitively be the preferable option, but I can see Nintendo going for a 'local' option with this. They love local multiplayer and have knack for unusual and sometimes limiting control schemes.

It's also about the only thing I could come up with, after hearing 'detachable controllers + Split D-Pad'. If it's not local multiplayer on the go, why make the controller detachable at all? Why split the D-pad? I guess Nintendo will tell us in due time......

Regarding the Eurogamer rumor, the purpose of the detachable controller parts is to give the player a controller for home use, because the screen part (which contains CPU, GPU etc.) goes in a dock. The detached controller parts could theoretically be connected to the sides of a "bridge" part to provide better ergonomy. Benefits of detachable parts are that some games could use custom parts that only worked with such specific games, and Nintendo could distance themselves from the Wii U concept. If the hybrid device sent pictures to the TV and didn't have detachable parts, then players would essentially hold another Wii U Gamepad in their hands when playing at home. But since that concept was a massive flop, it would make sense for Nintendo to make the device work in a way that does not blatantly resemble the Wii U.

Regarding this rumor for a split d-pad, it's hard to call it a rumor, rather it's just something that someone made up on the fly. But if I should analyze it anyway, I'd say that there are problems with this idea. Even split d-pads have a pad sitting below their surface, so they will never feel the same as a button which is truly independent from all other inputs on a controller. I agree that simple multiplayer games on the go are the most obvious conclusion, but the implementation of such an idea would feel too much like cramming in an additional feature than adding something of real substance.

I literally did not think of that. I always assumed there would also be a Pro controller in the box, if the handheld-part absolutely needed to be docked. Having the equvalent of two tiny  wiimotes in my hands just seemed too uncomfortable as a controller to me, but I guess with a bridge that could work. I also still sort of hope that it actually doesn't need to be docked since I seem to be one of the very few people that actually really like the WiiU concept (and ease of navigating menus), but I get why they would have to seperate their marketing messages here. So yeah, that absolutely makes sense.

As for the D-Pad, yeah one of the players would have to deal with rather spongy feeling buttons, but it might be enough for a round of Mario Kart. Like you said this has a high probability of being bullocks anyways.

On that note, I also wonder how Nintendo is going to deal with online gaming on the go (non-local) and if it might include a cellular option. They have used public hotspots for special things on 3DS before, but I think if they wanted to jump on the payed online bandwagon and offered a mobile flatrate with it, they might actually have success. I don't know how realistic that is though.

I want Nintendo to talk about the NX already I've made countless threads on rumors and now I'm even getting tired of them.
Also this share thing is weird because I could see Nintendo taking down the videos people put on their YouTube channel.

No, I think Nintendo is going for local multiplayer. They can't resist the whole "gather around the Nintendo system and play together" thing, nothing gives Nintendo a raging boner faster than that line of thinking, lol.

So the detachable controllers have to be designed for that contingency.

Like I said too it's possible NX could also stream to nearby tablets/phones too. So say "Kid A" is carrying his NX around and "Kid B" has an iPad, and they want to play Smash Brothers NX, it's possible the NX could "stream" a second video signal that can also be displayed on the iPad.

But Kid B with the iPad still needs a game controller .... so the NX has break apart controllers to use in a pinch. There you go. It could basically be like a very convienant little LAN machine. This is also potentially genius for spreading word of mouth on the device, because Kid A is basically a walking advert for the NX, so Kid B who had fun playing Smash Brothers now goes running home asking mom/dad for his own NX. 

Hopefully though Nintendo will make a home Pro Controller with a "full" d-pad ... don't want that for long home play sessions. 

Soundwave said:

No, I think Nintendo is going for local multiplayer. They can't resist the whole "gather around the Nintendo system and play together" thing, nothing gives Nintendo a raging boner faster than that line of thinking, lol.

So the detachable controllers have to be designed for that contingency.

Like I said too it's possible NX could also stream to nearby tablets/phones too. So say "Kid A" is carrying his NX around and "Kid B" has an iPad, and they want to play Smash Brothers NX, it's possible the NX could "stream" a second video signal that can also be displayed on the iPad.

But Kid B with the iPad still needs a game controller .... so the NX has break apart controllers to use in a pinch. There you go. It could basically be like a very convienant little LAN machine. This is also potentially genius for spreading word of mouth on the device, because Kid A is basically a walking advert for the NX, so Kid B who had fun playing Smash Brothers now goes running home asking mom/dad for his own NX. 

Hopefully though Nintendo will make a home Pro Controller with a "full" d-pad ... don't want that for long home play sessions. 

Local multiplayer did sell the Wii. You cannot blame Nintendo for trying this way again. It's their strong field and a bit ignored by the other console makers.

Would this also means Nintendo is losing the shoulder buttons though? Could they still exist if your base controller would be attached at the top end?

I think they would have to lose them.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

MohammadBadir said:

I don't want the split D-Pad, but I sadly expected it. If they want each part of controller to work as its own, they need to make the D-Pad match the ABXY.

If this is true, I expect this to feel bad. You see, the DS Dpad only looks split. It's actually still only one piece of plastic and feels great for movement. However, it can't mimic the same feel as the XYBA buttons, especially Y+B run and jumping, so I'm guessing Nintendo is going true split Dpad. That's not going to feel very good for movement.