By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX Buyers: 1080P Or Better Detail 720P?

I'm definitely buying the NX and I'm fine with 720p with 60fps. I'm sure less technical heavy games will run at 1080p.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network

1080p and 60 fps at max details!!

What...? Why are you looking at me?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I guess I would choose 720p with better detail. Of course I would rather have 8k with ultra-realistic faces.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Barkley said:
Handheld 720p is fine... but for TV mode it should be targeting 1080p.... it's 2017 for goodness sake.

XBox One is considerably more powerful than a Tegra X1/X2 and that doesn't manage to hit 1080P in a lot of cases, so it's probably not realistic to expect from NX. 

540-600p for portable mode and 720p for home mode for more demanding visual games probably is more realistic for NX. 

Miyamotoo said:
It seems that some people here are not aware fact that most of Nintendo Wii U games are 720p/60fps and even some are 1080p, and they are looking great and don't have performance problems, so it wouldn't have any sense to me after Wii U to go again with 720p graphics especially if NX really is at least around 3x stronger than Wii U when 1080p is very achievable with hardware like that for Nintendo games.

So I would go with 1080p, NX will most likely have enough power for little improved and with AA Nintendo Wii U games running at 1080p.

Imagine Zelda BotW running at 1080p with some improved graphics and with locked 30fps.

We have very different definitions of "looking great".

Most Wii U games don't have much in the way of clutter or small details, graphically it's almost an entire generation behind.

And if we are going to have better looking games on the NX, then expect 720P. - It simply does not have the capability for much more than that, older games and ports and simple titles will obviously likely be 1080P which is what we are seeing on Nintendo's competitors devices... But hardware pushing titles? Please. - If the Xbox One and Playstation 4 which on a technical level are superior platforms... And they can't do it, then the NX won't either, it's really that simple.

Zelda Breath of the Wild, whilst having some great art, does not have high-end graphics, heck you can even see the limitations in the cherry picked video and pictures meant to show off it's "best side". - With that said, I am still 'keen as' to play it.

Star Fox looked extremely simplistic, mostly thanks to it's 60fps framerate (Which wasn't stable, it fluctuated allot) but responsive gameplay was important for that title, not graphics.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Miyamotoo said:
It seems that some people here are not aware fact that most of Nintendo Wii U games are 720p/60fps and even some are 1080p, and they are looking great and don't have performance problems, so it wouldn't have any sense to me after Wii U to go again with 720p graphics especially if NX really is at least around 3x stronger than Wii U when 1080p is very achievable with hardware like that for Nintendo games.

So I would go with 1080p, NX will most likely have enough power for little improved and with AA Nintendo Wii U games running at 1080p.

Imagine Zelda BotW running at 1080p with some improved graphics and with locked 30fps.

We have very different definitions of "looking great".

Most Wii U games don't have much in the way of clutter or small details, graphically it's almost an entire generation behind.

And if we are going to have better looking games on the NX, then expect 720P. - It simply does not have the capability for much more than that, older games and ports and simple titles will obviously likely be 1080P which is what we are seeing on Nintendo's competitors devices... But hardware pushing titles? Please. - If the Xbox One and Playstation 4 which on a technical level are superior platforms... And they can't do it, then the NX won't either, it's really that simple.

Zelda Breath of the Wild, whilst having some great art, does not have high-end graphics, heck you can even see the limitations in the cherry picked video and pictures meant to show off it's "best side". - With that said, I am still 'keen as' to play it.

Star Fox looked extremely simplistic, mostly thanks to it's 60fps framerate (Which wasn't stable, it fluctuated allot) but responsive gameplay was important for that title, not graphics.

Yes it seems we have.

I don't agree at all that Wii U games are whole generations behind.

I am very pleased how Nintendo Wii U games look, so just Wii U games in 1080p with AA and some smaler improvements and I would be satisfied.

Zelda BotW is beautiful looking game despite don't have high-end graphics.

If the NX could maintain this gap between it and the current next-gen consoles, I'd be relatively ok with that. This is that Unreal Engine 4 demo on PS4 Vs. Tegra X1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzIZWO1qdg

Yes the Tegra X1 version here clearly is lacking some of the effects and details of the PS4 version, but it is essentially the same scene. Keep in mind too the X1 footage is recorded off screen by a cell phone camera, so its kind of an unfair comparison towards the X1, but you get the idea. 

And y'know, doubling the memory bandwidth, improving the CPU, and the moderate spec bump X1 gets from going to X2 could close this gap a bit further too. 

But this is assuming Nintendo pushes the Tegra tech to its maximum, which is yet to be determined as well. 

Whether it does 1080 or 720, considering the specs will be underwhelming next to the X1 and PS4, minus no BR player and possibly very little HDD storage, what is the most people will be willing to pay for it?

I'll find it hard to justify paying £250-300 if i can pick up a PS4S or X1S at that price.

At this point in time releasing a next gen console under 1080p seems crazy. Hope it's portable aspect carries it over.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

720p and better effects all the way. I honestly don't mind the resolution as long as it doesn't drop beneath HD in 'home console mode'.
I wouldn't even mind 540p on the go if it meant freeing up additional power for the graphics. As long as the NX has a good quality panel that is not too large smaller resolutions will still look good on the go.