By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX Buyers: 1080P Or Better Detail 720P?

SuperNova said:
720p and better effects all the way. I honestly don't mind the resolution as long as it doesn't drop beneath HD in 'home console mode'.
I wouldn't even mind 540p on the go if it meant freeing up additional power for the graphics. As long as the NX has a good quality panel that is not too large smaller resolutions will still look good on the go.

If it can maintain the gap in the above Unreal Engine 4 Demo with PS4/XB1 games, that is to say some lowering of effects/details at 540p in portable mode and 720p for "home" mode ... I'd take that right now and run. 

Hopefully the NX can do about that. If it's worse, I'll admit I'll be somewhat dissapointed. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

If the NX could maintain this gap between it and the current next-gen consoles, I'd be relatively ok with that. This is that Unreal Engine 4 demo on PS4 Vs. Tegra X1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzIZWO1qdg

Yes the Tegra X1 version here clearly is lacking some of the effects and details of the PS4 version, but it is essentially the same scene. Keep in mind too the X1 footage is recorded off screen by a cell phone camera, so its kind of an unfair comparison towards the X1, but you get the idea. 

And y'know, doubling the memory bandwidth, improving the CPU, and the moderate spec bump X1 gets from going to X2 could close this gap a bit further too. 

But this is assuming Nintendo pushes the Tegra tech to its maximum, which is yet to be determined as well. 

Only thing that looks like difference between two sides is resolution.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

If the NX could maintain this gap between it and the current next-gen consoles, I'd be relatively ok with that. This is that Unreal Engine 4 demo on PS4 Vs. Tegra X1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzIZWO1qdg

Yes the Tegra X1 version here clearly is lacking some of the effects and details of the PS4 version, but it is essentially the same scene. Keep in mind too the X1 footage is recorded off screen by a cell phone camera, so its kind of an unfair comparison towards the X1, but you get the idea. 

And y'know, doubling the memory bandwidth, improving the CPU, and the moderate spec bump X1 gets from going to X2 could close this gap a bit further too. 

But this is assuming Nintendo pushes the Tegra tech to its maximum, which is yet to be determined as well. 

Only thing that looks like difference between two sides is resolution.

There's definitely some effects missing, some of the particles and lighting is a bit pared down, also the Tegra version's frame rate dips quite a bit when all the bricks start falling. 

Still that's a pretty reasonable approximation and Tegra X2 could probably run the same demo a notch better. 

Fei-Hung said:
Whether it does 1080 or 720, considering the specs will be underwhelming next to the X1 and PS4, minus no BR player and possibly very little HDD storage, what is the most people will be willing to pay for it?

I'll find it hard to justify paying £250-300 if i can pick up a PS4S or X1S at that price.

Yes, spec will probably underwhelming next to the X1 and PS4 but despite that NX will have beautiful looking games (even Wii U has betifule looking games). BR is dying, it used less and less, everyone using streaming services now. NX will have cartridges (similar like 3DS) so it doenst need big HDD storage beacuse there is no need for instaling games on HDD like you need to that on PS4/XB, not to mention that will probably have support for every possible external storage. It seems that NX will be handheld and home console in same time, you can use it on go and you can use it home playing on TV, so basicly handheld and home console in one.

That's way too high price, I expecting price of around $250, $299 in worst case.

Soundwave said:
Barkley said:
Handheld 720p is fine... but for TV mode it should be targeting 1080p.... it's 2017 for goodness sake.

XBox One is considerably more powerful than a Tegra X1/X2 and that doesn't manage to hit 1080P in a lot of cases, so it's probably not realistic to expect from NX. 

540-600p for portable mode and 720p for home mode for more demanding visual games probably is more realistic for NX. 

If the NX has a dock that supposedly increases power for home console mode and it doesn't reach 1080p then I'd be very dissapointed. It should at the very least be equal to a ps4 when it is being used as a home console. Technology advances fast, don't release a console that can't compete with machines released 4 years ago. If the dock doesn't give a substantial boost in power I'll just treat it as Nintendo exiting the home console business, which I don't mind really there handhelds are generally much better.

Around the Network

1080p, no question, it's the bare minimum going forward. 720p is a blurry mess. Cant go back to playing some PS3 games.

Miyamotoo said:

That's way too high price, I expecting price of around $250, $299 in worst case.

For just the handheld? Or for the supposed dock as well? Are you assuming the dock increases processing power in that price estimate?

I mean the 3ds launched at $250...

I guess I'll post my estimates.

NX Handheld Only (or with dock that gives no additional processing power) - $250

NX Handhled with dock (gives a moderate to substantial processing boost) - $350

Also it's kinda sad we're almost 2017 and we're still talking about a resolution which was introduced with the original xbox 15 years ago.

THINK ABOUT THAT.

1080p I cannot deal with blurry images on my 50 inch tv

More importantly to me, games should run at 60 FPS. Beyond that, I would only have a preference for it to match the native resolution of my TV, which is 1080p.