By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Un-Savage Digitally Downloaded Review (No Man's Sky)

SWORDF1SH said:
So what I've got so far is that an over-negative review causes a meltdown for one side and an over-positive review causes a meltdown for the other side. Interesting!

You see what you want but are only really concerned with causing with drama.

Around the Network
alternine said:
The Great No Man's Sky War on VGC continues. Not gonna lie this is entertaining af lol

Not going to lie, it's some type of social experiment. How will people that reacted to, in my opinion, over the top negative reviews like Jimquisition and IGN react to a positive review.

Will their claims of 'it's an entitled opinion' now become void, will claims of 'I play games not scores' become '10 out of 10 suckit' and other types flip flopping?

Only a few posts in and it hasn't disappointed.

The review does make some very interesting points though. It's worth a read.

SWORDF1SH said:
alternine said:
The Great No Man's Sky War on VGC continues. Not gonna lie this is entertaining af lol

Not going to lie, it's some type of social experiment. How will people that reacted to, in my opinion, over the top negative reviews like Jimquisition and IGN react to a positive review.

Will their claims of 'it's an entitled opinion' now become void, will claims of 'I play games not scores' become '10 out of 10 suckit' and other types flip flopping?

Only a few posts in and it hasn't disappointed.

The review does make some very interesting points though. It's worth a read.

Haha you don't have to explain anything to me. I know the status quo of certain people on here. But you are right, this experiment (if the thread isn't locked) will expose a lot of users.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

I don't necessarily agree it's a 5/5 but it's certainly leaning more towards the higher numbers than the lower ones. I'd currently give it an 8.5/10 and once it's patched completely with the new content added I'll revise that up.

The PS5 Exists. 

I love the good old "let's just judge it for what it is" line

Things do not exist in a vacuum, even from themselves. You can't open yourself up to insight about what one can expect your product to deliver, then fundamentally fail in many respects, and expect that to be critically ignored. That's not even getting into established quality standards from peers in your field that one would, and should hope are being met to at least a certain degree.

It's fine to still view the end result in a positive light, and enjoy it, even if it fails in many of those aspects, but to ignore them as a reviewer, and pretend that it's objectively acceptable to give something a perfect score in spite of these things is frankly shameful.

Around the Network
onionberry said:
yeah, utterly brilliant 5/5.

Just like a 0/5 is unfair for this game, a 5/5 is unfair for those developers out there making really great games. I can't take this review seriously.

Quote of the thread. Just brilliant!

Can a review really be called a review if it isn't objectively viewed?

This has probably been the most interesting case of game drama I've seen in years, forget TO or TR, this game and it's following takes the cake entirely.

On the one side you have the "haters", scum of the earth, hate it for no apparent reason other than to hate it. Then you have the followers of the game who think it's the best thing since sliced bread, any ill talk of it will have your side DDOS'd and your character defaced. Then of course we have the take what you can get side of things which is seemingly the case here as we go with what has been given and then use it as the "hey these guys get what I get" kind of logic.

Definitely an interesting series of events. Makes me wonder who will come out on top, the holier than thou's or the scum of the earth.

Also that site gave DOOM 2.5/5 with it's userbase flat out disagreeing with the site itself, I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with that picture. 

I'm also wondering if the third social experiment will be allowed?, the first and second were eventually admitted by one on here and of course shut down. The "exposure" to not name names but point at people from afar to become the holier than thou isn't going to do anyone a solid favour, it's just going to make you stand out as the type who wants to personally stick it to someone without the consequences.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Angelus said:

Things do not exist in a vacuum, even from themselves. You can't open yourself up to insight about what one can expect your product to deliver, then fundamentally fail in many respects, and expect that to be critically ignored. That's not even getting into established quality standards from peers in your field that one would, and should hope are being met to at least a certain degree.

It's fine to still view the end result in a positive light, and enjoy it, even if it fails in many of those aspects, but to ignore them as a reviewer, and pretend that it's objectively acceptable to give something a perfect score in spite of these things is frankly shameful.

Out of interest, what do you think is worse, ignoring the good things to make a negative review or ignoring the bad things to make a positive review? How do you judge whats negative and positive and how much weight do you put on those negatives and positives when it's subjective?

If you look at what Splatoon had to offer at launch (one multiplayer mode and short singleplayer campaign), ignoring everything else, it sure could have been a 10/10. But it doesnt work that way. Splatoon sucked at launch.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

SWORDF1SH said:
Angelus said:

Out of interest, what do you think is worse, ignoring the good things to make a negative review or ignoring the bad things to make a positive review? How do you judge whats negative and positive and how much weight do you put on those negatives and positives when it's subjective?

Doing either of those is bad journalism. You can't just pick and choose whether you want to highlight the positive or the negative, and brush the other side under the carpet. The whole point of a review is to give you a more complete picture of what you're buying (potentially), before you buy it. Obviously it will be framed by your personal experience and opinions, but you don't build around those as facts, you build around the facts with your opinions, and let your readers/viewers decide if that's a viewpoint they might share, given those details. The score is the most subjective part, and in most cases irrelevant to me personally, but if you're going to score something PERFECT, it better at the very least be technically sound, nevermind not coming with the baggage that this game seems to packing.