By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Un-Savage Digitally Downloaded Review (No Man's Sky)

Angelus said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Out of interest, what do you think is worse, ignoring the good things to make a negative review or ignoring the bad things to make a positive review? How do you judge whats negative and positive and how much weight do you put on those negatives and positives when it's subjective?

Doing either of those is bad journalism. You can't just pick and choose whether you want to highlight the positive or the negative, and brush the other side under the carpet. The whole point of a review is to give you a more complete picture of what you're buying (potentially), before you buy it. Obviously it will be framed by your personal experience and opinions, but you don't build around those as facts, you build around the facts with your opinions, and let your readers/viewers decide if that's a viewpoint they might share, given those details. The score is the most subjective part, and in most cases irrelevant to me personally, but if you're going to score something PERFECT, it better at the very least be technically sound, nevermind not coming with the baggage that this game seems to packing.

Nice reply and i agree.

Around the Network

We're now reaching that stage where we don't want to name camps but are going to anyway. Always a good sign for a thread.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Slarvax said:

If you look at what Splatoon had to offer at launch (one multiplayer mode and short singleplayer campaign), ignoring everything else, it sure could have been a 10/10. But it doesnt work that way. Splatoon sucked at launch.

Whether or not you think the 5/5 review for NMS is credible, this argument does not apply here. The DD review of NMS is reviewing the game on current content, not on content that's yet to come. That's not the case with your example of Splatoon becoming 10-worthy after more content was released. And in any case, Splatoon got at least one 10/10 and many 9+ scores in its original form. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Slarvax said:

If you look at what Splatoon had to offer at launch (one multiplayer mode and short singleplayer campaign), ignoring everything else, it sure could have been a 10/10. But it doesnt work that way. Splatoon sucked at launch.

Whether or not you think the 5/5 review for NMS is credible, this argument does not apply here. The DD review of NMS is reviewing the game on current content, not on content that's yet to come. That's not the case with your example of Splatoon becoming 10-worthy after more content was released. And in any case, Splatoon got at least one 10/10 and many 9+ scores in its original form. 

I see it this way: both games had missing content and features on launch, one added them later on, the other could be getting them at some point. We dont know right now. But the matter is both games are flawed; they both (clearly) offered desired gameplay, which many people wanted but the developers failed to deliver something. Quality? Quantity? Polish? I dont know, but many people dislike NMS. And I know Splatoon would receiver the same hate if it was in its launch state throughout its life.

I completely disagree with those perfect or +9 scores Splatoon received back then, heck even nowadays. Not a fan of having to update my game for content, and Splatoon did it like 3 times a month...

Anyway, what this review offers, according to OP, is to judge a game for what it is. And it is missing features. I mean, imagine you buy a burger, and it comes without meat. Is it still good, if we judge it based on it missing a main feature of a burger? Or McDonald's says that when I eat this burger it will have x y and z, but it doesnt? 

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I am starting to think if you like NMS its best to hide out till the storm passes.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Around the Network
Lrdfancypants said:
I am starting to think if you like NMS its best to hide out till the storm passes.

Is that what you do in NMS or do you have a good suit upgrade?

SWORDF1SH said:
Lrdfancypants said:

Is that what you do in NMS or do you have a good suit upgrade?

I run and hide in my ship. Then fly away.  It might work for VGZ as well.  Warp out!!!!!

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Lrdfancypants said:

I give it about 1 more week.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Having read the review, I feel like it has a lot of fluff to it, referencing various ideas and philosophies without getting into the meat of the game. What the review describes sounds like a game with a great concept, but it never quite gets deep into the game until the very end, and it feels very brief too. The review sounds great, but doesn't quite paint a good idea of the game in general. Not one I would use to base my decision on whether to buy the game or not.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I love the game but it's a 6/10, maybe 7/10 if it stops crashing every night.

Dunno what the reviewer is smoking but
"You’ll take off into space, and then it will hit you; an overwhelmingly existentialist feeling, almost melancholia, that there you are in a very vast space, and you really are on your own. There might be one or two other ships floating around, but it’s a lonely, almost empty blackness that surrounds you, and nothing comforting or familiar is remotely close to you."

Everywhere I jump a fleet of trader shows up 5 seconds later. Every system has a space station which fills with traffic when you land. Every planet is littered with outposts with a Walmart greeter inside. Blackness? Where? I can't find any. Emptiness? Where, space is floating rocks no matter how far you fly out until the game crashes.

After a few hours everything is familiar, only the scenery on the planets change. Which is I admit pretty relaxing to run and fly through and see some of those weird mix and match animals.

If you want all that remote empty hostile blackness, go exploring in Elite Dangerous. It's multiplayer sure, didn't see anyone for months while exploring the Galaxy. It gave me a real sense of how frigging mind bogglingly huge the galaxy is and what 400 billion means. Coming back 'home' to land after all that time was a real emotional experience. NMS feels like hopping between snow globes. It's fun, yet it gives me no sense of scale or where I am or have been.

I'm going to jump to the next snow globe now, this planet is too purple for me. Perhaps I'll try a green star next. Fun factor low, 75%!