By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 6 sold 5 million and and GT5 sold 12 million!

Kerotan said:
walsufnir said:

Forza 5 was a launch game that ran on 1080p60 on a console considered by many as underpowered. How many racers (or even games) did Sony release that did 1080p60 (locked!)?

Classic example of biting off more then you can chew.  if the console is under powered and can't handle a graphically under powered game at 1080p 60fps, then lower the resolution like most xbox games did. 

Because of the crowd?! Are you serious? I mean, you probably are but that doesn't make it sound anything less weird, to be honest.

Yes, the game was downgraded to what they showed at E3 back then but every game always cuts corners, on every console because they are not magical power horses at all. That is why many choose 30 fps instead of 60 fps, for example.

But good to see that you agree that there is no Sony game doing 1080p60 because they focus on something different.

Around the Network

Racers are losing popularity. The racing market is becoming exhausted. In the late 90's to mid 2000's it was fun to play racing games. The sales reflect the sentiment of fans. Racers need to go multiplat to reach older numbers.

walsufnir said:
Kerotan said:

Classic example of biting off more then you can chew.  if the console is under powered and can't handle a graphically under powered game at 1080p 60fps, then lower the resolution like most xbox games did. 

Because of the crowd?! Are you serious? I mean, you probably are but that doesn't make it sound anything less weird, to be honest.

Yes, the game was downgraded to what they showed at E3 back then but every game always cuts corners, on every console because they are not magical power horses at all. That is why many choose 30 fps instead of 60 fps, for example.

But good to see that you agree that there is no Sony game doing 1080p60 because they focus on something different.

They cut cardboard cut outs not corners. and yes it was a weird decision.  

It should have been 900p 60fps 

LudicrousSpeed said:
There's no point in debating realistic physics, none of us step into 500+ horsepower machines and drive them on these tracks on a regular basis. But GT has flaws that have been in the series for generations now and what we have seen and read about Sport confirms PD still cares more about purty interiors than evolving their gameplay. Its not about Forza vs GT, Donald. In have spent more time with GT 1, 2, or 3 alone than I have the entire Forza series combined :)

And no one is saying annual, either. There can be some wiggle room between once a gen and every year.

So you bring a point to bash GT and them backtrack that we can't talk about it because we don't drive them regularly?

Know who drive them regularly? Professional Racers, Yamauchi (that as basically an amateur that never drove in Nurburgring got a podium on his first race there against folks a lot more experient), GT Academy team, etc... and from all of them what we have is that the simulation of the driving itself is quite well done and we also have several people that play both saying that Forza Motorsport keep more elements of arcadeism on the racing than GT.

Also a good simulated physics is shown even when racing a 60hp car, and playing with a car I own in real life seem quite close to the same experience.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Racers are losing popularity. The racing market is becoming exhausted. In the late 90's to mid 2000's it was fun to play racing games. The sales reflect the sentiment of fans. Racers need to go multiplat to reach older numbers.

The multiplat racers are selling less than the exclusives Mario Kart, GT and Forza, so which exclusives you want to go multiplat to sell more?

walsufnir said:
Kerotan said:

If you consider Forza a MS game then Resogun is a PS game and is 1080p60fps from what I remember... but yes Sony focus isn't 60fps for almost any game. But I'm pretty safe assuming GT Sport will be 60fps.

But when you want to take hits at GT not evolving enough you better watch what game you defend have done.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

walsufnir said:

If you consider Forza a MS game then Resogun is a PS game and is 1080p60fps from what I remember... but yes Sony focus isn't 60fps for almost any game. But I'm pretty safe assuming GT Sport will be 60fps.

But when you want to take hits at GT not evolving enough you better watch what game you defend have done.

We will see how locked the 60fps will be But they have to for VR, of course.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
DonFerrari said:

We will see how locked the 60fps will be But they have to for VR, of course.

We'll see. I'm not that worried about fps in gaming, never bothered me. But it's a possibility that it won't be locked, and I'm dying to play it in VR. Having it in 3 monitors and 3D activated was a helluvah experience already.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

So you bring a point to bash GT and them backtrack that we can't talk about it because we don't drive them regularly?

Know who drive them regularly? Professional Racers, Yamauchi (that as basically an amateur that never drove in Nurburgring got a podium on his first race there against folks a lot more experient), GT Academy team, etc... and from all of them what we have is that the simulation of the driving itself is quite well done and we also have several people that play both saying that Forza Motorsport keep more elements of arcadeism on the racing than GT.

Also a good simulated physics is shown even when racing a 60hp car, and playing with a car I own in real life seem quite close to the same experience.

I think he means more on the collision physics side, as if you get hit at really high speeds the cars would get trashed and they don't on GT, they either bump or bounce back if hit by the side, you can even use it to get past by another cars.
It's a point, to me it's pretty clear it's a gaming choice rather than anything else, because if you hit anything and get destroyed the game would get insanely frustating (even more when someone hits you), but nonetheless, it's a point about its physics.

The driving physics are awesome, driving on GT is as good as it gets, and while yes, I can't say about racer cars 'cause I never did and probably never will drive them, but as you said, professional racers are only praise about it. Sure, marketing is marketing, but that's what we have to go by, and for the overall playing experience, GT is just amazing, IMO.

On collision physics yes it is lacking, but not sure if Forza is any better (making the car get totalled doesn't exacly equal more precision physics) and since I drive for the win and shaving of ms, and if anyone thinks that colliding should render your car destroyed they can just hit the "retire from race" option and lose the points, no need for the game to trash your car (we know that from the 15M players not most would want to lose a race for every bump they get).

I also think driving experience in GT is fantastic, and much better than o Project Cars and DriveClub (which is quite good imho).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

GOWTLOZ said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You should consdier every year Forza developers are getting a new $60 product on shelves with DLC.

Meanwhile Polyphony is spending ~4 years getting their one game ready. Its just odd they take so long even when they recycle a lot of resources.

I read that Turn 10 has three hundred developers and Playground Games probably have more than a hundred developers as well. Polyphony has a hundred developers. That reduces production costs. FH2 was also developed on 360 by Sumo Digital.

Yes Forza probably does make more revenue but increased development costs reduce profit especially when sales of individual games are relatively low and overall sales are not much higher than GT6.

I'm not sure where those staff numbers come from and its seems to vary. Wikipedia for example says someline like 100-300. Maybe they had a large team when they were creating the Forza 5 because it was completely new and short development time, but who knows.

I doubt the 360 version of FH2 had a big budget. I own it, its kinda half assed but solid.

I think the overall sales are probably a few million higher than GT6 when digital is included. You know my view so stop going in circles.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

DonFerrari said:

See, here is your issue. You take clear criticism of a game as "bashing". You do realize you can criticize a game or want certain aspects to be better without "bashing"? You're too much of a fan of the series to have much rational discussion because you take every single thing as an attack and go into defense mode. Been doing it the entire thread.

Also, no backtracking here, friend. Again, GT has core issues that have been in the game for generations. Sound, AI, physics are chief among them.

DonFerrari said:

More Forza comparisons, lol. Again, not about GT vs Forza. I like GT more. I would like GT to become good again. Why are you relying on others impressions about Forza, anyway? Never played it? No offense, but who freaking cares if the director of the game drives race cars. Musicians literally make music and yet they can still make music that sucks. Directors literally make films and yet can still make films with flaws. Yamauchi drives race cars yet still makes race games with baffling flaws.

DonFerrari said:

Quite close to the same experience? LOL. So you drive your car balls to the wall around town to get "the same experience"? Give me a break. In GT you can literally use other cars as shields, you can use another car as a launching pad to ricochet around a corner and actually gain speed, all while inflicting no noticeable damage on your car, which sounds like a lawn mower.

And no, you don't need to go to some extreme where if you hit a wall your tire flies off and your car becomes unusable. Anyways, I've said all I need to say to you on this. Like you, I love the GT franchise, just have been disappointed with the last couple entries, and hope to finally see some innovation and change in the franchise.

LudicrousSpeed said:
DonFerrari said:

See, here is your issue. You take clear criticism of a game as "bashing". You do realize you can criticize a game or want certain aspects to be better without "bashing"? You're too much of a fan of the series to have much rational discussion because you take every single thing as an attack and go into defense mode. Been doing it the entire thread.

Also, no backtracking here, friend. Again, GT has core issues that have been in the game for generations. Sound, AI, physics are chief among them.

Except we know perfectly well your behavior on this site to see your attempts to do honest critic but using all you can to bash a game, not only GT, I have seen you do it to basically all Sony exclusives, so no it isn't only because I'm a fan of the series. And thank you I'm a rational being, no need for the remark. I take attacks as attacks.

DonFerrari said:

More Forza comparisons, lol. Again, not about GT vs Forza. I like GT more. I would like GT to become good again. Why are you relying on others impressions about Forza, anyway? Never played it? No offense, but who freaking cares if the director of the game drives race cars. Musicians literally make music and yet they can still make music that sucks. Directors literally make films and yet can still make films with flaws. Yamauchi drives race cars yet still makes race games with baffling flaws.

The point isn't about Yamauchi driving cars (although that contribute for his passion for his work) the point is about an amateur driver due to his experience driving in the game (as in the interview he guessed he drove over 1000 hours in Nurburgring) was able to compete against very competent drivers in RL.

Now it isn't about GT versus Forza? Funny that a little while ago it was.

DonFerrari said:

Quite close to the same experience? LOL. So you drive your car balls to the wall around town to get "the same experience"? Give me a break. In GT you can literally use other cars as shields, you can use another car as a launching pad to ricochet around a corner and actually gain speed, all while inflicting no noticeable damage on your car, which sounds like a lawn mower.

And no, you don't need to go to some extreme where if you hit a wall your tire flies off and your car becomes unusable. Anyways, I've said all I need to say to you on this. Like you, I love the GT franchise, just have been disappointed with the last couple entries, and hope to finally see some innovation and change in the franchise.

So BraLoD was right, your complain about the physics is on the collision system (which isn't good at all) and my answer and BraLoD is quite straight, if you are driving GT competitively and shaving ms hitting any object is already enough problem for you so no need for inventing non precise ways to simulate collision (I'm yet to play a racing game where the collision seem natural)

"drive car balls to the wall"? IF you are talking about hitting everyone, no I do the opposite I drive in GT without hitting not RL hitting.

I'm glad that you love the franchise and want it to improve and inovate. Sound, collision, etc could see improvements? Sure. But the core of the franchise is already beyong good and that is what get me back to play it every entry.

walsufnir said:
Kerotan said:
Haha remember the crowds and backgrounds in forza 5. You can hardly praise it's development when they've cut massive corners before. I wouldn't change GT development at all. I don't buy annual games so the last thing i want is them rushing out GT when 1 GT for the gen or 2 max will do me. Same for annual sports titles. Quality over quantity please.

Forza 5 was a launch game that ran on 1080p60 on a console considered by many as underpowered. How many racers (or even games) did Sony release that did 1080p60 (locked!)?

I don't know about PS4, but GT5 and GT6 on PS3 ran at 1080p60fps. GT Sort also runs at 1080p60fps.

Even GT4 on PS2 runs at 1080i which is not 1080p but better than most PS3 and Xbox 360 games in image quality and still looks good.

walsufnir said:
Kerotan said:

Yes they focus on different things in each game, Sony is not a developer but a publisher. Uncharted 4 focuses on resolution in singleplayer and framerate in multiplayer. TLOU Remastered and God of War 3 Remastered run at 1080p60fps.

Infamous Second Son and First Light run at 1080p60fps on PS4 Pro in high framerate mode. It looks amazing.

Mr Puggsly said:
GOWTLOZ said:

I read that Turn 10 has three hundred developers and Playground Games probably have more than a hundred developers as well. Polyphony has a hundred developers. That reduces production costs. FH2 was also developed on 360 by Sumo Digital.

Yes Forza probably does make more revenue but increased development costs reduce profit especially when sales of individual games are relatively low and overall sales are not much higher than GT6.

I'm not sure where those staff numbers come from and its seems to vary. Wikipedia for example says someline like 100-300. Maybe they had a large team when they were creating the Forza 5 because it was completely new and short development time, but who knows.

I doubt the 360 version of FH2 had a big budget. I own it, its kinda half assed but solid.

I think the overall sales are probably a few million higher than GT6 when digital is included. You know my view so stop going in circles.

GT6 also has digital sales and I don't think digital sales for Forza games would add that much to the sales. If you are going to post your views you should be ready for people to discuss them.