By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No Man's Sky Metacritic - Critic 72, User 5.0

Angelus said:
crissindahouse said:
At 28% positive reviews on Steam now and many of the positive ones are "refund button works great" and stuff like that...

It seems to be almost unplayable for most.

But hey, 200k concurrent players and it sold probably already well above 1m units on Steam. Even with many refunds Hello Games will be a rich company now. Why releasing an optimised game then, right?

But they're so passionate and put so much love into their game! Have you seen Sean's puppy dog eyes? Surely they deserve their newfound riches

It couldn't possibly be that a small dev team that only had experience making four "Joe Danger" sidescrolling games perhaps bit off a tad more than they could chew in attempting to create a realistically sized, actual universe that's somehow still interesting enough to warrant exploring?

Now that I say it out loud it does sound pretty darn silly. lol

My question is why this obsession with scale? People understand they'll die sometime in the coming decades, right? Every person on earth could spend their lives playing this game and we'd only visit a tiny portion of it.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Angelus said:

But they're so passionate and put so much love into their game! Have you seen Sean's puppy dog eyes? Surely they deserve their newfound riches

It couldn't possibly be that a small dev team that only had experience making four "Joe Danger" sidescrolling games perhaps bit off a tad more than they could chew in attempting to create a realistically sized, actual universe that's somehow still interesting enough to warrant exploring?

My question is why this obsession with scale? People understand they'll die sometime in the coming decades, right? Every person on earth could spend their lives playing this game and we'd only visit a tiny portion of it.

This is an issue of optimization, not content (though that imo is more than questionable as well)

If your game is in this bad of a shape on a certain platform and you still release it.....that's nothing but a shady cash grab

Johnw1104 said:
Angelus said:

The whole scale argument is the reason why this game will sell 50x more as it would otherwise. Because everything else the game has to offer is also in games which sold maybe 100k units lifetime 

Sure, nobody has something from that but it was a nice buzzword millions of people "fell in love with".

I think the exact same game with "only" 10000 planets would be much better since you would at least meet someone from time to time. 

Or no shared world and only 100 planets but therefore planets which aren't totally random and where the devs could form the worlds a little bit to be more interesting. 

Btw reviews go up again on Steam. Seems as if they have at least patched something to make it playable.

crissindahouse said:
Johnw1104 said:

The whole scale argument is the reason why this game will sell 50x more as it would otherwise. Because everything else the game has to offer is also in games which sold maybe 100k units lifetime 

Sure, nobody has something from that but it was a nice buzzword millions of people "fell in love with".

I think the exact same game with "only" 10000 planets would be much better since you would at least meet someone from time to time. 

Or no shared world and only 100 planets but therefore planets which aren't totally random and where the devs could form the worlds a little bit to be more interesting. 

I'll admit I was initially seduced by the "scale" approach with Spore and many times prior... They've been pulling that trick for ages, dating back to games like Daggerfall that bragged about being the size of the U.K. when little of it was actually worth visiting.

That's my biggest issue though, I look at this game and see below average gameplay and little incentive to do anything. I was sort of hoping for something like ARK in space, but that's not at all what we got. Multiplayer could have provided some personality for this experience to make it a blend of EVE Online and ARK, but without that there's not much to it.

Around the Network

With bad reviews, hello games may be going out of business.

Random_Matt said:

goodbye games

Random_Matt said:

Lol with their tiny overhead I'd love to know how flush with cash they are now. Probably out buying new cars and homes as we speak.

Johnw1104 said:
Random_Matt said:

Lol with their tiny overhead I'd love to know how flush with cash they are now. Probably out buying new cars and homes as we speak.

Nah, not as wealthy in comparison to Mr Roberts.

Roronaa_chan said:
Random_Matt said:

goodbye games

i am a fan of this post

anyway i played this at my friends house on the day it launched and it was really fun so i will be buying this game when i get back from a mountain trip i am currently on