By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 10 Anti-Chrome Pop up

aLkaLiNE said:
Imaginedvl said:

Google, Apple, Sony, etc. They are all promoting their own products (as well as others) on their own platform. 

But if Microsoft is doing; it is a crime now? 

Just stop.

Sony doesn't promote its PS4 by saying it offers 40% more power over Xbox one. In fact, it's extremely rare for any company that sells products to even mention another brand, Microsoft is absolutely one of the biggest offenders of this - Phil talks about Sony all the time, to the point where I've thought to myself on numerous occasions that he probably has paranoia and self esteem issues. I would too if I had the resources of Microsoft and still couldn't win a console generation lol.

And, to elaborate on your previous post, W10 is not a free update. In many documented cases, it was a forced update where the user was not asked for permission (and now it even costs money). They went so far as to change what the "X" does on that upgrade pop up - instead of it meaning close out of the pop up, they changed it to mean "yes go ahead and upgrade" which is EXTREMELY deceptive considering "X" has unanimously used to mean "exit" or "close" since PCs have been on the mass market. Not only do you have those kinds of problems, but then, after MS stopped pushing W10 out for free they mandated an anniversary update (means you have to download it) that stripped away a slew of admin rights such as disabling the store front or stopping push applications from downloading. 

There's a lot more behind the steps they've taken with W10. If you can't see how it's bad, you're either a full on liar or you're extremely ignorant and I'm not going to sit here and spell things out for you, but

Tl;dr - it's not normal or acceptable for a company that essentially holds a monopoly over a market to coerce people into their product with or without their permission, and then leverage that monopoly to cripple other companies in different markets (in this case the web browser market).

Of course, it's not just in recent times, but historically, Microsoft's body of work in the field of scummy business pratices is well out of sync with it's competitors in the gaming market. And they just keep rolling. Gross. Just a gross corperate entity.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Acevil said:
It could very much be possible that what it is saying is the truth.

I think that's the sad thing...

I use Firefox on my W10 machines and have never had a pop-up extolling the power saving virtues of Edge. Maybe Firefox is better, or maybe MS doesn't view Firefox as a significant competitor.

Either way, people should switch to Firefox and get off the corporate slave train that is both Google and MS. And Firefox is available on Android at least so you should be able to sync between PC and Android.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

You're using Microsoft's software. Theyre going to advertise their stuff to you. Just like if you visit Google on a non-Google browser, they say something about Chrome being better.

People are comparing it to other game companies, games are not a relevant comparison. You can't play Sony software on a Microsoft console. Otherwise, Sony would advertise the PS4 version.

How clever.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
You're using Microsoft's software. Theyre going to advertise their stuff to you. Just like if you visit Google on a non-Google browser, they say something about Chrome being better.

People are comparing it to other game companies, games are not a relevant comparison. You can't play Sony software on a Microsoft console. Otherwise, Sony would advertise the PS4 version.

Do they? I just loaded google up in IE - no mention of it there. Loaded it up in Firefox - I don't see any mention there either.

Safari? Nope still no pop up saying "chrome is better use chrome".

So can you explain - or link to a source - how visiting google on any browser will cause it to say "using chrome is better"?

There you go. Took me one try on IE. Obviously, they are not going to bombard you with the ad every single time you use Google :)

People are mixing things up, windows is neither a public service nor a public space.

They're not cheating consumers here, they're not trying to deliberately make chrome slower or something like that, they can advertise any product they want, AS LONG AS IT WAS IN THE GUIDELINES OF THE PROGRAM.

They have been sued over the years for unfaire practices, but not because they were advertising their products on their own platforms...

And yes Windows 10 was a free upgrades, but I guess none of the people who run it right now got the paid version. But even if it's the paid version, they could advertise their own products.

Seriously people, when you are on your Xbox One or PS4, and there is a publicity for the store, showing a specific game, if it's a Microsoft or Sony game, it's not unfair practices.

vivster said:
This is bad. If they don't label it clearly as advertisement and/or provide a link to prove the claim it's straight up criminal.

Tbh they shouldn't even be popping it up at all. Your OS shouldnt ever become an ad bot that shoves ads in your face from time to time, not even the web browser either. Chrome on the ohter hand is still a bit of a resource hog, but Edge isn't exactly the best browser on the planet either. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Alby_da_Wolf said:
LurkerJ said:
What's the point of Edge?

I only use cross-platform browsers. I want my passwords/bookmarks synced automatically on all of my devices. Hassle-free.

If MS is desperate to get more people to use Edge, they should port it to the devices people use the most. Android and iOS.

Me too, my main browser is Firefox for at least two reasons, the first is that it's the one that can open the highest number of windows and tabs without becoming excessively slow and slowing the system down, the second is that I can share the same user account very easily amongst different OS' also locally, without the need of online services. In the past there were other reasons too, not being tied to the OS too tightly, when FF crashed it didn't make Windows crash with it too, unlike IE, and it was a lot safer too, as IE used to store sensible user data without user's permission in the file index.dat.
Chrome is my secondary browser, I keep it cleaner, with less extensions and plugins and I open a lot fewer windows and tabs with it, If I opened more than 100 tabs with Chrome like I do with FF, the system would crawl to a halt.
Nevertheless I still like Chrome a lot more than any MS browser I ever tried.

Being able to use any browser anywhere is essential. Isn't it enough that extensions took so long to make it to Edge?

It's almost hilarious how MS is missing such an obvious concept. 

Make better products, and people will gladly use them.

No one actually likes to go out of their way to install a different browser. It's just not fun. It's not our fault Edge isn't good enough.

Doesn't this count as adware?

Thanks jlmurph!