By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Olympics Rio 2016 thread - USA Get Most Golds, 2nd GB, 3rd China

Tagged games:

Some great events on today, Triathlon starting the day, Gomez would have won it but he's not there so it's open for the Brownlee brothers or Mola to take it.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
BraLoD said:
By the way, we might have a Brazil vs Germany final on football... uh-oh, gonna be very interesting!

Woah, just imagine if it were to end 7-1 again

I have a bad feeling about that match...... Germany had more difficult opposition in its way to the final. They seem to be very well prepared.  They already killed our dreams of a gold medal on beach volleyball, where we were clear favorites........

German footballers seems to like a lot playing in Brazil.

Bye bye gold medals for Brazil........

Really hurting defeats on women´s football, volleyball, beach volleyball and handball........ouch!
Now our chances are on men´s football and volleyball.

Watching the Triathlon, so far so good for Brownlee's, Mola is a long way down.

While looking about, I thought I'd see what is going on with the Pentathlon, as I'd not heard about it at all, wondered it was done or still going on. Discovered the french athlete, Elodie Clouvel in the process.

Hmm, pie.

I could see Germany getting gold in women's and men's football which would be an amazing accomplishment.

Of course Sweden and Brazil are no push overs.

Around the Network

Team GB killing it. 21 golds, 21 silvers & 13 bronze

Yeah, if there´s one thing I always hear in these Olympics is
Gold for Britain..... in the x competition.... Gold for Britain..... in the y competition.... Gold for Britain.... in z competition.

Great Britain has been excellent, likely surpass their strong London 2012 performance.

Holland, Denmark and Hungary are doing great overall.

I wondered where they rank when it comes to medal per capita. Pretty good (especially Denmark), but of course way smaller countries take the top spots in this statistic: Grenada in front, Bahamas 2nd, Jamaica is already in top 5 and will go up even further.

Of all countries with a population of more than 1 million, New Zealand currently takes an impressive top spot when it comes to medals per capita. Other surprises in this statistic: Slovania, Croatia.

Link: http://www.medalspercapita.com/#medals-per-capita:2016 (includes some more interesting statistics)

Nymeria said:
I could see Germany getting gold in women's and men's football which would be an amazing accomplishment.

Of course Sweden and Brazil are no push overs.

It's great for German football fans to have two more Maracanã finals after 13-Jul-2014. Wished both finals were BRA vs. GER, would have been epic.

Sweden used to be one of the best countries in womens football (In the 80s Norway and Sweden were the top European countries until Germany joined them), the Swedish ladies made an impressive comeback with this Olympic tournament. I bet the German ladies are more than happy that Sweden eliminated USA (while the German womens national team is the dominant one Europe - they won the last 6 Euro championships -, womens undisputable worldwide top national team USA is their nemesis, they rarely beat them). Will be an interesting womens final, I see both teams on par.

Brazil will win the mens final. They just have to.