By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Olympics Rio 2016 thread - USA Get Most Golds, 2nd GB, 3rd China

Tagged games:

BraLoD said:

That's not the reason as well, as they booed Gatlin when there were no brazilians competing, why? Because they wanted Bolt to win, and bolt is not brazilian.

To be honest, I thought they were booing Gatlin for being a drug cheat, eitherway, shouldn't be booed. But i understand your points. it's just sad that in a great moment when they get one of their own getting an Olympics Record and winning a Gold medal, they ruin the medal ceremony by booing second place. We will remember Da Silva winning, we will remember the controversy of the booing more.

Luke888 said:
The Fury said:

What happened? I heard from our GB perspective but swimming isn't something I'm interested in. Our GB was disqualified after placing 3rd, then 5th then getting 2 cards.

The Italian and the French swimmers wher head to head at the finish line for the 2nd place when the French swimmer jumped on the back of the Italian to stop her from reaching first the pannel that needs to be touched to end the marathon, the French ended up touching the pannel 0.something seconds before the Italian but, after a few minutes, she was disqualified for what she did, so the bronze medal went to the brazilian swimmer who was like 20m behind the Italian and the French...

Sounds weird, why would they do that? Surely they know the rules.

Nymeria said:

Your thoughts? Is it endearing to see siblings finish together? Or is it making light of the competition and just seeking attention?

I tend to be optimist and think they train together and happened to be close to one another and given finish 81st and 82nd decided to finish together. Honestly the controversy seems to get more headlines than the act itself.

Sad if true. So what if they are finishing together and were far behind the pack? There are athletes in the Olympics who are there to compete not win, if it was all about winning then people like Eddie the Eel wouldn't exist and the Olympics wouldn't have it's charm. Maybe it's different because they were German competitors but if they were it the race then they are better than everyeone else in Germany anyway.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
DakonBlackblade said:

He was refearing to the fact the audience was booing Lavilenie whenever hed prepare for his attempts, he dind't mean fairregarding attendance numbers, the stadium was quite packed actualy. I know ppl don't quite get it but thats how Brazilians suport everything, the football mentality is strong on the sport culture so we boo everyone thats not our favored team/athlete whatever and we always choose someone to suport even if theres no Brazilian in it, the crowd usualy picks the weakest team/athlete to suport to try and get the little guy to achieve greatness, so its common to see crowds booing USA on a basketball match x Nigeria for example.

I know, but I was talking about something else. 

The athletics stadium was packed, but many of the other events (especially in the first week) were quite empty, and many were criticizing the organisers about it. 

I was probably packed in some sectors, but not packed, definetely. The athletics stadium only saw good attendances on the weekend. 

On weekdays, the attendance was around 40% or less, more like this (this picture was taken the day after, when there was 04 finals in the evening session, around 20h00) : 

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Y-2f5AY0MS0/V7O4APBCTWI/AAAAAAAAHWk/v-NZ3DP4daU1Qbr6N8ZhivXjvLnMkWpswCL0B/w957-h571-no/16%2B-%2B1

BraLoD said:

Yesterday booing I can understand, it was nothing personal, just the audience playing together with their player, even if still kinda sad, they were even clapping for him (for the french, as he was asking for claps with hand moves) before the brazilian jump that gave him the medal chance.
But then the guy complained, and now the audience then made it personal, in the freaking awarding ceremony, like kids that got mad because someone said no to them... how lame, absurdly lame...

Many brazilian fans, not used to watch track and field competitions, actually thought that that was some kind of provocation, as absurd as it may seem.

BraLoD said:

That's not the reason as well, as they booed Gatlin when there were no brazilians competing, why? Because they wanted Bolt to win, and bolt is not brazilian.

Brazilians are booing everyone who competing against their favorite athletes (when there´s one). Most people here are not used to watch single/individual sports  so they think the same behavior we see on team sports  - specially football - can be applied to those sports. It´s kind of disgusting, in my point of view. 

I feel dissapointed, as a Brazilian, to see audiences doing that AGAIN. In the Panamerican Games of 2007, it was so  bad that journalists nicknamed that event the "Booing Pan Ams". I thought that people (and media, by the way) would have learn how to proper behave on sports like table tennis, gymnastics, athletics etc after all those test events. I was wrong.

On Tv transmissions I´ve seen brazilian commentors  rooting for the failure of athletes in equestrian and gymnastics so Brazilians could win a medal. As a sports fan, I just think this kind of attitude is nasty.

Well this is ackward (for those of you that don't speak italian, the picture says "Male Tournament")

Around the Network

Both German football teams made it to the finals. Well done.

Luke888 said:

Well this is ackward (for those of you that don't speak italian, the picture says "Male Tournament")

I'm currently questioning my sexuality.

Hmm, pie.

Wow, great day for the US women athletic athletes today! Clean sweep in the hurdles :O

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Nymeria said:
Your thoughts? Is it endearing to see siblings finish together? Or is it making light of the competition and just seeking attention?

I tend to be optimist and think they train together and happened to be close to one another and given finish 81st and 82nd decided to finish together. Honestly the controversy seems to get more headlines than the act itself.

Don't see anything wrong with it. It's not like they were going to win a medal, and tried to tie the race so they could both win a medal or something...

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Great month to be an American.