By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Olympics Rio 2016 thread - USA Get Most Golds, 2nd GB, 3rd China

Tagged games:

Serbia is demolishing Italy in Water Polo, and we're still at the semi-finals...

Around the Network

United States win first Women's Wrestling Gold Medal as Helen Maroulis surprised the favored Japan's Saori Yoshida.

Rogerioandrade said:
Yeah, if there´s one thing I always hear in these Olympics is
Gold for Britain..... in the x competition.... Gold for Britain..... in the y competition.... Gold for Britain.... in z competition.

I hear that but for the USA. The US dominates the Olympics. I guess Canadian media favour the US over the UK. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

man-bear-pig said:
Team GB killing it. 21 golds, 21 silvers & 13 bronze

Yeah, they've really benefited from the lack of Russian athletes during these games. Russia had a massive 24 Gold medals in 2012, and now they've  only gotten half that amount. 

Snoopy said:
Great month to be an American.

You're certainly quite arrogant and lack sportsmanship.

The US has almost always done the best in the Olympics so this is nothing new. I find it more impressive that Great Britain (a country a fifth of the size of the US) has gotten 21 Gold's compared to 32 by the US. 

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
Snoopy said:
Great month to be an American.

The US has almost always done the best in the Olympics so this is nothing new. I find it more impressive that Great Britain (a country a fifth of the size of the US) has gotten 21 Gold's compared to 32 by the US. 

How many times do I have to say it. Population doesn't mean squat. China would be way ahead if it did. The fact is Americans are awesome and it is a great month to be an American. Also, it is great that Xbox is doing well in sells too. Americans leading the way of the future.

Snoopy said:
MoHasanie said:

How many times do I have to say it. Population doesn't mean squat. China would be way ahead if it did. The fact is Americans are awesome and it is a great month to be an American. Also, it is great that Xbox is doing well in sells too. Americans leading the way of the future.

I don't think it's going to end well if you keep talking like this. Just respect other countries and their success in these Olympics.

Snoopy said:
MoHasanie said:

China is poor. No point in comparing them. 

If we only consider developed rich countries, America doesn't do that well relative to it's GDP and population size. The US also doesn't do that well in medals per capita.

Not sure what's the point of mentioning Xbox in this. Guess the console wars are very important to you..

Argentina won the gold medal in mens hockey. Huge surprise!

Silver: Belgium (another surprise)
Bronze: Germany (a mild disappointment after gold medals in 2008 and 2012)

Surprisingly without medals: current world champion Australia and runner-up Holland.

Yes, Argentina winning was a surprise.

Also great to see Canada winning a Gold in women's wrestling. That was a surprise.