By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is Donald Trump a sociopath?

Is Donald Trump a sociopath?

Yes 303 60.84%

No 195 39.16%

Total:498

To me it feels like he is not smart enough to be anything that people accuse him of being. He just reacts to things in the most simple way possible.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
To me it feels like he is not smart enough to be anything that people accuse him of being. He just reacts to things in the most simple way possible.

You don't need to be smart to be a sociopath.  And impulsive reactions are one of the traits that sociopaths demonstrate.

Well, he stopped being Mr. Nice Guy recently...

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

CaptainExplosion said:
Ljink96 said:
He's something, anything but normal. He's a racist and a complete idiot.

Yet he's on fire in the polls. Does this mean most Americans (most voters at least) are as stupid and hateful as he is?

No- it means they are smart enough to not vote for Hillary

CaptainExplosion said:
Dunban67 said:

No- it means they are smart enough to not vote for Hillary

How is a racist businessman with bad hair any better? His policies would make America even worse.

How is the ignorance you are spewing good for any political discusion?

It is too bad terms like "racism" and "sexism"  have become polyical buzzwords and lables to help the uninformed "decide" who they should vote for or what they should do-   Instaed of being real terms w real issues attached that warrant intelligent discussion

Around the Network

A lot of people that work in intense positions are sociopaths to varying degrees, such as firemen and suregons. I don't think Donald Trump is fir for president, but I don't think being a sociopath necesarily has anything to do with it.

Dunban67 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

How is a racist businessman with bad hair any better? His policies would make America even worse.

How is the ignorance you are spewing good for any political discusion?

It is too bad terms like "racism" and "sexism"  have become polyical buzzwords and lables to help the uninformed "decide" who they should vote for or what they should do-   Instaed of being real terms w real issues attached that warrant intelligent discussion

I have to agree with you here.  If we set emotions aside for a second and actually look at what Trump has said, regardless of whether or not you support him, I see very little evidence to label him as a racist.  The two issues where he takes the most heat is regarding Muslim immigration and border control of the Mexico-US border.  In both cases, though, his concern is focused on those who do not want to follow the law or respect the USA's rules and values, not the color of their skin.  For example, I have never heard him say "we need to get rid of all Muslims" but I have heard him say often that "we need to get rid of ISIS."  Similarly, I haven't heard him say that he wants no Hispanics coming into the USA but he spends his time talking about the drug cartels and bad elements that take advantage of an open border.

Now there is definitely room to question whether Trump's policies are the right approach, but that is a totally separate issue from whether or not he is a racist.  Maybe Trump is rascist deep down, but there is certainly is not enough evidence to draw a conclusion about that based on his campaign so far.

The left needs to tread carefully here, throwing around the term "racist" as a derogative to shut down debate is dangerous because Trump may have some extremely valid points in at least a couple areas (in fact, he likely does to be getting this much support).  There is a big difference between a man like Trump versus the racist elites who wanted to sterilize blacks and "undesirables" in the early 20th century and one should not throw out all he is saying without thought.  What I see is the left digging in their heels and refusing to acknowledge any of the concerns that are coming from Trump and his supporters and even if the left does manage to defeat Trump, those concerns are not going to go away but they will fester and grow into what could one day be a cultural revolution that will be very ugly for the left-wing establishment.  The left should be willing to compromise on their ideoogy and adapt portions of Trump's viewpoints while tempering the areas where he is the most brash, that would be the smart thing to do for the long term survivability of left-wing values in the west.  Moderation of left-wing values was also supposed to be the big advantage of social democracy over communism. (what I am seeing now from the left, though, looks much more like communism) 

CaptainExplosion said:
Teeqoz said:
A lot of people that work in intense positions are sociopaths to varying degrees, such as firemen and suregons. I don't think Donald Trump is fir for president, but I don't think being a sociopath necesarily has anything to do with it.

Since when have any fire fighters been sociopaths?

Statistically, people that work in intense and stressful jobs, such as firemen and surgeons, are more likely to be sociopaths. You are the one assigning a negative meaning to that, perhaps because the only thing we hear about sociopaths in media are ruthless killers et. al. And that is part of the problem. A lot of people don't really know what a socipath is. It doesn't mean you are a horrible person. A lot of sociopaths are good and productive members of society, and chances are, you are related to one or more sociopaths.

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/19/193099258/inside-the-mind-of-a-sociopath

He's a narcissistic megalomaniac with a very tenuous relationship with the truth. But no, not a sociopath.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

JustcallmeRiff said:
Dunban67 said:

when you or most anyone can not  objectively defend his opponent and you won t address the issues then by all means use ignorance as a weapon against Trump and count on like minded ignorance to follow in Trump bashing-   And people ask why do politicians run so many negative adds and make negative attacks on their opponents ..... Because they work!   True and so disappointing that so many brave men died to defend our rights including the right to vote but so many people show their appreciation by remaining ignorant and or using it -  

Ignorance is believing Donald Trump cares about the American people for any other reason than how to profit off them.

Isn't this the stance of every powerful person? I dont' think it's a unique stance at all.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.