By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Leaker (Rumor): NX Is Modular, Upgradable, Uses Tegra X1 Successor

Basic / entry level console should be applicable to 3rd party games so that casual crowd can have those games + Nintendo games as well.

The modular parts are more for hardcore gamers that always whining about power and graphics.

The concept seems good, hopefully execution and marketing would come into place. Still a rumor though, so let's wait and see.

Around the Network

Brazil is the butt of all of my soccer jokes, so I just simply don't take them seriously anymore.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

glimmer_of_hope said:
Theres no possible way. Who is going to pay$300 for a console and an additional $200 for a screen plus another $50 for a controller? Thats not even logical! So a base unit is $550 and you would need to upgrade that further? And why a portable console? Whos going to pay that type of money just to lose or brake?

Bear in mind buying the extras would be to either make the home console capable of being portable, or vice versa or whatever.

It would be a combination home AND portable console if you buy all the parts. I sort of doubt this rumor though, it sounds far too complicated for Nintendo to pursue. I could see something simple like a portable with an upgradeable attachment to use for home gaming OR controllers for home gaming being sold seperately, but I highly doubt Nintendo is going to give you a TON of optional attachments to change the specs of your system. Would create a nightmare in terms of SKUs and consumer informing

BS.

I still find it hard to believe that Nintendo have left AMD who basically own the remnant companies Nintendo has dealt with the entire time it's gone into 3D consoles (ArtX for N64, ATi for Gamecube/Wii, AMD for WiiU). On the other hand, I can't think of a portable SoC processor from AMD, letalone one as capable as the Tegra.

If the rumors are indeed true, I'd love to see a dual chip setup; one on the portable and one on the dock. The bus extension can be established with something similar to Intel Thunderbolt and incorporate SLI. In portable mode, the system would only need to drive a small screen, whereas two Tegras in some kind of SLI setup can be more than capable of driving a 1080p display or higher.

Around the Network

Sounds too complicated and expensive. Maybe the control-units are detachable, similar to the 3DS and the second circle pad. There is no need for a different screen, once you crossed into the 720p 5" range.

Nautilus said:
Lrdfancypants said:

This would be excellent if true. 

I do not think people would be confused by this. We live a cell phone world now where everyday people read specs on their telephone for goodness sake upgrading to the latest and greatest power phones buying accessories and battery packs and charging stations etc...

This new console philosophy fits better with the current times than the old I think. We shall see if someone actually tries it. 

Since when everyday people read specs to know which phone to buy...?

People just buy the latest phone because its a popular trend, not to mention thats the "cool" thing to do.Its not because "ohhhh this has x RAM processing power and a double core capable of running the best games!".They buy because "Ohhhhh its the Iphone 6!I will be lame if I stay with my Iphone 5S!".

They know that it will be more powerful, but they dont know how much, and they dont care.

Plenty of people read spec such as screen resolution, storage space and general marketing lingo which is served to them. The idea that the average consumer with a laptop, HDtv, smart phone and a tablet is still completely tech illiterate is so archaic. People understand the premise of something delivering more detail, running faster etc. They know the difference between a standard experience and a premium one, and tech companies know how to market the difference without bogging them down with technical details. 

If people can work out the difference between iphone 5s and iphone 5c, they can work out the difference between an NX and NX+ or however nintendo would choose to market it. 

Well, dedicated handhelds have lost their zest more or less completely and they can't compete with traditional home consoles, so this makes a lot of sense. Whether or not it will work is another question, but it's their best chance by far right now to go for a solution like this or similar to this.
I've been saying since the before the Wii U released that Nintendo need to break their traditions and re-invent themselves; this could be it!

I think he is right, I've said the same thing months ago.

My cousin knows a kid at school who is internet friends with a developer, and he confirms this.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.