By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Leaker (Rumor): NX Is Modular, Upgradable, Uses Tegra X1 Successor

Pemalite said:

If Nintendo goes Tegra, then chances are they will miss out on allot of ports and that will turn me off completely from Nintendo's next console.
The Wii U has proven that tons of exclusives do not always shift hardware.

Well the goal likely isn't to get ports, its to merge the support of Nintendo's handhelds & consoles which would give Nintendo literally hundreds of games found nowhere else.

Wii U doesnt really prove anything as it only recieves a few truly big games per year with multiple months in between.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Pemalite said:

If Nintendo goes Tegra, then chances are they will miss out on allot of ports and that will turn me off completely from Nintendo's next console.
The Wii U has proven that tons of exclusives do not always shift hardware.

Well the goal likely isn't to get ports, its to merge the support of Nintendo's handhelds & consoles which would give Nintendo literally hundreds of games found nowhere else.

Wii U doesnt really prove anything as it only recieves a few truly big games per year with multiple months in between.

The Wii U is the perfect scenario.
It has probably more exclusives than the Xbox One... Anddddd... Nope. It was still a giant colossal failure.
Probably the largest failure with consoles since the Dreamcast? (Ignoring the Ouya of course.)

The 3DS also has a ton of exclusives, but even that has failed to hit the same heights as any of it's predecessors.

Fact of the matter is... There are MILLIONS of gamers who love and enjoy the likes of Grand Theft Auto, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Call of Duty, Mass Effect, Battlefield, Batman, Dragon Age, Doom, FarCry, Need for Speed, The Witcher and (you get the point) more... And all of that simply isn't on a Nintendo Console, so those consumers buy into another platform and Nintendo misses out.

Merging Handhelds and Home Consoles game library's would be a good step in the right direction... But it is also something Microsoft and Sony and even the PC have been trending towards for years with their "Arcade" and "Indie" experiences anyway. - Mobile experiences tend to also be simpler, smaller and a more compromised experienced compared to the monolithic AAA games we have today and the price usually reflects that.

Fact of the matter is... Nintendo needs to appeal to the likes of Ubisoft, EA, Activision and more so that they can grab some marketshare by not driving gamers away due to the lack of Multiplatforms... It's why the Wii flourished thanks to casuals and then quickly floundered... And it is why the Wii U never gained any traction to begin with.

Also, pretty much every Nintendo game is on PC anyway.

Besides, the Xbox has consistently beaten Nintendo for a long time now, The Xbox 360 did so well on the back of pretty sparse exclusives... It was the place to play the Multiplats like CoD for years though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

It has probably more exclusives than the Xbox One... Anddddd... Nope. It was still a giant colossal failure.
Probably the largest failure with consoles since the Dreamcast? (Ignoring the Ouya of course.)

The 3DS also has a ton of exclusives, but even that has failed to hit the same heights as any of it's predecessors.

Fact of the matter is... There are MILLIONS of gamers who love and enjoy the likes of Grand Theft Auto, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Call of Duty, Mass Effect, Battlefield, Batman, Dragon Age, Doom, FarCry, Need for Speed, The Witcher and (you get the point) more... And all of that simply isn't on a Nintendo Console, so those consumers buy into another platform and Nintendo misses out.

Merging Handhelds and Home Consoles game library's would be a good step in the right direction... But it is also something Microsoft and Sony and even the PC have been trending towards for years with their "Arcade" and "Indie" experiences anyway. - Mobile experiences tend to also be simpler, smaller and a more compromised experienced compared to the monolithic AAA games we have today and the price usually reflects that.

Fact of the matter is... Nintendo needs to appeal to the likes of Ubisoft, EA, Activision and more so that they can grab some marketshare by not driving gamers away due to the lack of Multiplatforms... It's why the Wii flourished thanks to casuals and then quickly floundered... And it is why the Wii U never gained any traction to begin with.

Besides, the Xbox has consistently beaten Nintendo for a long time now, The Xbox 360 did so well on the back of pretty sparse exclusives... It was the place to play the Multiplats like CoD for years though.

No, you said Wii U proves that TONS of exclusives do not always push hardware.

Wii U proves that a console with bad marketing, high price for what it offers and constant droughts wont do well.

Your right, 3DS has failed to do as well as its predecessors but its still on track to being the No. 2 dedicated gaming device behind PS4 (highly doubt XBO will match it).

The fact of the matter is....there are Millions of gamers who love and enjoy the likes of Pokemon, Mario, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Yokai Watch, Kirby, Splatoon, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Tomodachi, Zelda, Metroid and (you get the point) more.....and all of that is simply not on PS/XB consoles, so those consumers buy into Nintendo.

Xbox has consistently beaten Nintendo?

Xbox-25 million vs GC/GBA-100 million

360-85 million vs DS/Wii-250 million

XBO-25 million vs 3DS/Wii U-73 million

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

That's probably why NX will embrace mobile rather than trying to "fight" mobile ... it'll run Android apps and games, effectively doubling (tripling?) its utility as a Nintendo machine on top of that. 

Microsoft unfortunately is taking up a bunch of space in the industry doing nothing IMO, like a fat soccer mom in the middle of an elevator. 

They aren't really gaining at all on Sony, but they are flooding the market with consoles, so Nintendo doesn't really have space to operate, the market doesn't need 5 consoles (XB1, XB Scorpio, PS4 Neo, PS4, and then NX too) that basically just play the same multiplat games. It's way overkill for an industry that's never even supported 3 similar platforms ever in almost 40 years of console gaming. 

zorg1000 said:

This is intentionally strawmanning his post. He obviously only meant home consoles, which while it isn't exactly consistent, they have sold more than the Nintendo console 2 out of 3 times.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

zorg1000 said:

This is intentionally strawmanning his post. He obviously only meant home consoles, which while it isn't exactly consistent, they have sold more than the Nintendo console 2 out of 3 times.

No, this whole thread and my discussion with him are based on rumors of Nintendo merging their handheld &  home consoles so you cant just pretend that one side (that happens to do far better) doesnt exist.

Even if we only look at home consoles, it roughly looks like

Xbox+360+XBO=135 million

GC+Wii+Wii U=135 million

Over the course of about 15-16 years, Nintendo & Microsoft are about dead even in home console sales.

zorg1000 said:

That's right. The WiiU with tons of exclusives did not push hardware, not sure where or how I contradicted myself considering that is the EXACT point I am hammering? But, alas. Let us move on.

zorg1000 said:

Wii U proves that a console with bad marketing, high price for what it offers and constant droughts wont do well.

*sniggers* If it had 3rd party releases... Droughts wouldn't be a problem. ;)

zorg1000 said:

The fact of the matter is....there are Millions of gamers who love and enjoy the likes of Pokemon, Mario, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Yokai Watch, Kirby, Splatoon, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Tomodachi, Zelda, Metroid and (you get the point) more.....and all of that is simply not on PS/XB consoles, so those consumers buy into Nintendo.

I'm not arguing that fact. But the fact is... Nintendo is loosing millions of gamers by not catering to 3rd party's.

zorg1000 said:

I was strictly speaking Home consoles of course, not handhelds. You wouldn't want me to add PC numbers with the Xbox would you?
Besides you don't even know if the NX would assimilate both the handheld and home console audiences either.

After the Wii started to slow in sales, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One was out-selling Nintendo's Wii and Wii U devices on a week/month basis... And it's been that way for years now.

Soundwave said:

That's probably why NX will embrace mobile rather than trying to "fight" mobile ... it'll run Android apps and games, effectively doubling (tripling?) its utility as a Nintendo machine on top of that.

Well. We only have rumors to go on at the moment.
You nor I have no idea if it will actually run Android apps and games or not, so don't pretend it's 100% certain.

Soundwave said:

Microsoft unfortunately is taking up a bunch of space in the industry doing nothing IMO, like a fat soccer mom in the middle of an elevator. 

They aren't really gaining at all on Sony, but they are flooding the market with consoles, so Nintendo doesn't really have space to operate, the market doesn't need 5 consoles (XB1, XB Scorpio, PS4 Neo, PS4, and then NX too) that basically just play the same multiplat games. It's way overkill for an industry that's never even supported 3 similar platforms ever in almost 40 years of console gaming. 

Very true, Microsoft dropped the ball in the face of Sony. But they have still done better than Nintendo in recent years.

The industry is also bigger than ever... You cannot compare the amount of cash and gamers playing games to what was around 40 years ago... Heck even 10 years ago.
Today everyone plays video games... 40 years ago, you got laughed at and called a nerd for playing video games.

The industry is happy supporting Android, iOS, PC, MacOSX, Linux, Xbox, Playstation, Wii, DS and more.

Nintendo needs to innovate, but they also need all the checkboxes it's competitors have... And contrary to popular belief you *can* have both, imagine if the original Wii console released with more capable hardware?
It would have had more 3rd party support over the long haul, it might have sold double what it did as it might have retained more enthusiast/hardcore gamers instead of bleeding them to Microsoft and Sony.

I wan't Nintendo to succeed, I wan't them to be competitive as it's good for everyone... And constructive criticism of a company/device is never a bad thing either.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

That's right. The WiiU with tons of exclusives did not push hardware, not sure where or how I contradicted myself considering that is the EXACT point I am hammering? But, alas. Let us move on.

zorg1000 said:

zorg1000 said:

I'm not arguing that fact. But the fact is... Nintendo is loosing millions of gamers by not catering to 3rd party's.

zorg1000 said:

I was strictly speaking Home consoles of course, not handhelds. You wouldn't want me to add PC numbers with the Xbox would you?
Besides you don't even know if the NX would assimilate both the handheld and home console audiences either.

After the Wii started to slow in sales, Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One was out-selling Nintendo's Wii and Wii U devices on a week/month basis... And it's been that way for years now.

1. you cant say a console has tons of exclusives then turn around and agree that it suffers from multiple, long droughts. that is a contradiction. The fact is that Wii U gets a FEW big releases and a FEW smaller releases per year.

2. *sniggers* if Nintendo unifies handhelds & consoles.......droughts wouldnt be a problem

3. my point is it goes both ways. PS/XB are missing out on millions of gamers by catering almost solely on 13-35 year old males who primarily play shooters, sports, action games.

4. This entire thread and our discussion is based on the rumor that Nintendo is merging handhelds & consoles, it would make no sense to exclude one of those if that is indeed what Nintendo is planning on doing.

Even if we only include home consoles, Nintendo & Microsoft are essentially tied.

XB+360+XBO=135 million

GC+Wii+Wii U=135 million

You can say Wii was an outlier but I could say 360 is as well since it sold 60 million more than XB and could sell 40 million more than XBO.

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

zorg1000 said:

zorg1000 said:

zorg1000 said:

Soundwave said:

Well. We only have rumors to go on at the moment.
You nor I have no idea if it will actually run Android apps and games or not, so don't pretend it's 100% certain.

Soundwave said:

Very true, Microsoft dropped the ball in the face of Sony. But they have still done better than Nintendo in recent years.

The industry is also bigger than ever... You cannot compare the amount of cash and gamers playing games to what was around 40 years ago... Heck even 10 years ago.
Today everyone plays video games... 40 years ago, you got laughed at and called a nerd for playing video games.

The industry is happy supporting Android, iOS, PC, MacOSX, Linux, Xbox, Playstation, Wii, DS and more.

Nintendo needs to innovate, but they also need all the checkboxes it's competitors have... And contrary to popular belief you *can* have both, imagine if the original Wii console released with more capable hardware?
It would have had more 3rd party support over the long haul, it might have sold double what it did as it might have retained more enthusiast/hardcore gamers instead of bleeding them to Microsoft and Sony.

I wan't Nintendo to succeed, I wan't them to be competitive as it's good for everyone... And constructive criticism of a company/device is never a bad thing either.

Wait, why is Nintendo not allowed to count their handheld success as part of a their company success?  

How on earth is PC install base more related to MS console gaming success than handheld is to Nintendos?

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Fei-Hung said:
Sounds really expensive where you might end up with stuff you don't need if i think of practically using it:

1) as a home console, the controllers it comes with might not be good enough as they are designed to be used as a hand held. Meaning I'll have to buy a controller and a docking station.

2) as a handheld, you'll need a charger set, carry case and it will most likely be bigger than a 3DS and possibly a Vita, meaning it might not be easy to carry around in your pocket.

I don't think it's complicated, but i do think for Nintendo to get this right, they will need to sell 2 bundles, one for hone gaming and one for portable. The home edition will come with a proper docking station and a proper joypad and the mobile one with a case and charger set. This way they can market is easier as well and costomers won't need to pay for this they don't need.

Its normal for people to have to pick an accessory or 2 to make the most of system, but why would the docking station not come with the system? If the selling point of the system is in it being a hybrid (3 devices in one- for the price of one), it makes sense for them to deliver that in the box. 

-Handheld/Tablet

-Handheld Detachable Controllers 

-Dock

-Charger. 

Thats not a crazy amount of things in one box. Paying extra for a traditional controller isn't a biggie. I mean didn't everyone who owned a Wii buy an extra controller? There will of course be premium bundles which come with extras like a controller or carrying case.