By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Leaker (Rumor): NX Is Modular, Upgradable, Uses Tegra X1 Successor

zorg1000 said:

Apples & oranges buddy, you're comparing two completely different things.

A hybrid device is a single device that can be played on the go or at home on the TV with 100% of Nintendo's software output being tailor made for this device.

If you wanted to do the same with your examples, you would need to buy two seperate devices along with an add-on and you still wouldnt be able to play your console games on the go. Also these add-ons were not released until halfway through these devices lives.

So you see how these are not the same situation?

You are playing mobile games on a Home Console. You are melding two different demographics/game library's into one. It's the SAME idea. You just aren't able to take the home console on the Go.

The point stands that it didn't vastly increase sales rate of the home console.

So let's put this into bullet points shall we?

* Wii userbase didn't transition to the Wii U and might not transition to NX.
* DS/Handheld userbase is in decline.
* Devices/Accessories which allowed the Home console to meld mobile/home console game library/demographics into one... Was mediocre from a sales perspective.
* Mobile and thus NX is now in competition with mature Android/iOS/Windows ecosystems.
* Having lots of exclusives doesn't guarentee sales.
* NX is going to have Mediocre hardware and thus graphics.

Nintendo has an uphill battle if it wishes to succeed I'm afraid, regardless of how you wish to paint things. ;)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

A hybrid device is a single device that can be played on the go or at home on the TV with 100% of Nintendo's software output being tailor made for this device.

If you wanted to do the same with your examples, you would need to buy two seperate devices along with an add-on and you still wouldnt be able to play your console games on the go. Also these add-ons were not released until halfway through these devices lives.

You are playing mobile games on a Home Console. You are melding two different demographics/game library's into one. It's the SAME idea. You just aren't able to take the home console on the Go.

* Devices/Accessories which allowed the Home console to meld mobile/home console game library/demographics into one... Was mediocre from a sales perspective.
* Mobile and thus NX is now in competition with mature Android/iOS/Windows ecosystems.

Nintendo has an uphill battle if it wishes to succeed I'm afraid, regardless of how you wish to paint things. ;)

Home console market is oversaturated, Nintendo is being smart in doubling down on their area of strength where they have no direct competetion -- gaming portables. 

They are even smarter if they adopt Android apps (and there's no reason not to since they themselves support Android with games now, how is Android Nintendo's enemy when it's spurring Nintendo's biggest piece of software in over a decade with Pokemon Go?). 

NX will likely have one of the best if not the best mobile processors in the world (Tegra X1 is already one of the best, if Nintendo is using Pascal Tegra X2, that is going to be far better even), so there's nothing about the hardware that we have heard thus far that implies mediocre hardware. 

It's likely if done correctly this system will dominate even the PS4 in Japan, thus ensuring lots of Japanese support at least too. Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Tekken, etc. I'd be fine with that. 

Mobile tech has exploded so rapidly in the last 4-5 years that the level of chip Nintendo can now get will allow for gorgeous huge 3D games on the go, the Vita chip was OK, but even a Tegra X1 absolutely destroys that. 

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

Well at this point I dont think it matters what I say, you have convinced yourself that releasing a $300-400 console that plays the same games as PS4/Neo/XBO/Scorpio/PC is the best course of action.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Well at this point I dont think it matters what I say, you have convinced yourself that releasing a $300-400 console that plays the same games as PS4/Neo/XBO/Scorpio/PC is the best course of action.

That's not what I am saying at all.

What I want is Nintendo Exclusives PLUS the 3rd party's the other consoles get with a similar degree of graphical fidelity and no silly controller gimmicks.

Apparantly I am not allowed to wish for such a thing?

Soundwave said:

Home console market is oversaturated, Nintendo is being smart in doubling down on their area of strength where they have no direct competetion -- gaming portables. 

Nintendo does have competition with Portables though.
You have the Vita (lol), Android, iOS, heck even Windows Phone.

Fact of the matter is, Android and iOS now rule the mobile gaming world... The 3DS's slower sales rate is likely attributed to that and that might also impact the NX.

Soundwave said:

They are even smarter if they adopt Android apps (and there's no reason not to since they themselves support Android with games now, how is Android Nintendo's enemy when it's spurring Nintendo's biggest piece of software in over a decade with Pokemon Go?).

Bringing up Android Apps is silly, you have no idea if that is even their intention... More like "hoping" it happens.

Pokemon Go isn't owned by Nintendo. Heck it wasn't even made by Nintendo... So why assume that will be the standard for all Nintendo games going forward? Or be some kind of precedent that will determine Nintendo's future success? Wishfull thinking perhaps?

Soundwave said:

It's likely if done correctly this system will dominate even the PS4 in Japan, thus ensuring lots of Japanese support at least too. Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Tekken, etc. I'd be fine with that. 

Mobile tech has exploded so rapidly in the last 4-5 years that the level of chip Nintendo can now get will allow for gorgeous huge 3D games on the go, the Vita chip was OK, but even a Tegra X1 absolutely destroys that. 

I hope the NX does well, I would hate for Nintendo to be forced out of the market, that would be bad for all consumers, competition is a good thing, it keeps prices low, keeps innovation rapidly going.
But to imply that it will dominate the competition is a little far-fetched considering it hasn't even launched, don't you think?

Many claimed the 3DS and WiiU would dominate, well. They failed to live up to the hype didn't they?

Soundwave said:

NX will likely have one of the best if not the best mobile processors in the world (Tegra X1 is already one of the best, if Nintendo is using Pascal Tegra X2, that is going to be far better even), so there's nothing about the hardware that we have heard thus far that implies mediocre hardware.

Tegra might be a fantastic mobile chip, but it's far from being as capable of meeting a degree of expectation that we are seeing out of this generation graphically... I think people are being unrealistic about it's capabilities based purely on it's theoretical 1 Teraflop advertised number being flaunted around.

Tegra will struggle meeting 1080P levels of AAA imagry... And if the fanaticism that we have observed since the Playstation 4's launch is anything to go by... That may be damaging to the NX on a whole.

The Wii and Wii U also suffered from bad specs and was ridiculed because of it from many corners of the gaming world, those consoles also aged extremely quickly resulting in fairly short cycles, that may have an impact on sales.

Fact of the matter is... Tegra cannot hold a candle to multi Billion-transister monolithic AMD APU's with TDP's of 150w+ or more, personally i think graphically the Xbox One and Playstation 4 have both been unimpressive... Considering that Tegra will likely not be able to achieve even half the level of the plain, jane, old Xbox One... It doesn't instill much faith.

Nintendo need to pull out all the stops and attract not just the casuals, but the enthusiast/hardcore as well and with the NX I just don't see that happening at this stage.

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

One could pop in xbox info into your bullet points and get even results or worse depending on perspective and you have stated a few times they're doing better than nintendo.  As pointed out via hardware units sold it's not really the case.  

Example:

- 360 user base didn't transition to xbox one and might not transition to s-model or scorpio

- xbox doesn't even have a mobile console to be in decline and try and revitalize (they'd probably like those declined numbers)

- devices/accessories being mediocre (kinect, need i say more really?) not all devices are successful but doesn't mean the next one will have same result

- mobile, again something xbox doesnt even have (which I bet they'd love the tens of millions in mobile unit sales considering their current position)

- having lots of exclusives doesn't guarantee sales (doesn't even need changing)

- mediocre hardware

I actually believe doing this makes this move (if true) the smart nintendo move.  I wanted a powerful nintendo console but if you put bullet points in comparison to the distant #2 in home consoles (and consider that xbox is releasing two new home consoles back to back) why on earth would nintendo risk another wiiu?  They could do what you want and still be number 3 and lose more mobile ground from wasted time.

This rumor seems to be a better strategy than dropping a powerful home console that might get trounced in power a few months later.  

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

The add ons for the SNES and GC are not the same as the concept here, the portable market back then was vastly different in scope and approach to the console market unlike today where portables are essentially consoles that are portable. Your argument is like comparing online multiplayer of today to the 2 player local multiplayer on the NES and writing off the former because the was multiplayer back in the 80s when the two concepts are not in the same ball park. As for your bullet points.

-  Same could have been said for GC to Wii.
-  So are console sales but no one is panicking over that, someone started a topic of interest in that it just means things are becoming more focused in gaming.
-  So are PS and Xbox, Nintendo has even made mobile one of their platforms so mobile success still is going to benefit them, this argument is becoming more irrelevant each day.
-  It helps pushes platforms that can't be denied.
-  Proof?

If it's the X2 in NX, that would be in line with earlier reports of the system having 90% XBox One power. The would be bleeding fast for a handheld, and adequate for home gaming. It could support a port of any title on the market and be an interesting product.

Now if reports of supplemental processing in the docking station or cartridges are true, the system really could be the best of all worlds.

Lrdfancypants said:

One could pop in xbox info into your bullet points and get even results or worse depending on perspective and you have stated a few times they're doing better than nintendo.  As pointed out via hardware units sold it's not really the case.  

Example:

- 360 user base didn't transition to xbox one and might not transition to s-model or scorpio

- xbox doesn't even have a mobile console to be in decline and try and revitalize (they'd probably like those declined numbers)

- devices/accessories being mediocre (kinect, need i say more really?) not all devices are successful but doesn't mean the next one will have same result

- mobile, again something xbox doesnt even have (which I bet they'd love the tens of millions in mobile unit sales considering their current position)

- having lots of exclusives doesn't guarantee sales (doesn't even need changing)

- mediocre hardware

This rumor seems to be a better strategy than dropping a powerful home console that might get trounced in power a few months later.  

Exactly. But you are only re-affirming my point. - I think you assumed I am preferential towards a particular console Platform hence the Xbox dig, but I'm not, I dislike all consoles equally. :P But nice try, I'll give you props for it.

And what I meant by Xbox doing better than Nintendo is in terms of sales of the home consoles on a year-to-year basis. Microsoft has consistently beaten Nintendo in that regard since the original Wii started to wane.

Wyrdness said:

The add ons for the SNES and GC are not the same as the concept here, the portable market back then was vastly different in scope and approach to the console market unlike today where portables are essentially consoles that are portable. Your argument is like comparing online multiplayer of today to the 2 player local multiplayer on the NES and writing off the former because the was multiplayer back in the 80s when the two concepts are not in the same ball park. As for your bullet points.

-  So are console sales but no one is panicking over that, someone started a topic of interest in that it just means things are becoming more focused in gaming.
-  So are PS and Xbox, Nintendo has even made mobile one of their platforms so mobile success still is going to benefit them, this argument is becoming more irrelevant each day.
-  Proof?

The angle of argument that the poster I was replying towards was that he believes that Home Console and Mobile user bases would be "combined" with the NX.

The SNES and Gamecube addons were also targeting that very same idea, to draw mobile gamers to the home console... And it didn't work.

The Gameboy Advance was a bigger platform than the 3DS as well as far as I know. And the Gamecube certainly beats the Wii U in terms of sales.

We will need to take a "wait and see approach". - It's good that everyone is optimistic about the NX.

Pemalite said:
Lrdfancypants said:

Example:

- mediocre hardware

Exactly. But you are only re-affirming my point. - I think you assumed I am preferential towards a particular console Platform hence the Xbox dig, but I'm not, I dislike all consoles equally. :P But nice try, I'll give you props for it.

And what I meant by Xbox doing better than Nintendo is in terms of sales of the home consoles on a year-to-year basis. Microsoft has consistently beaten Nintendo in that regard since the original Wii started to wane.

Wyrdness said:

-  Proof?

The angle of argument that the poster I was replying towards was that he believes that Home Console and Mobile user bases would be "combined" with the NX.

The SNES and Gamecube addons were also targeting that very same idea, to draw mobile gamers to the home console... And it didn't work.

The Gameboy Advance was a bigger platform than the 3DS as well as far as I know. And the Gamecube certainly beats the Wii U in terms of sales.

We will need to take a "wait and see approach". - It's good that everyone is optimistic about the NX.

It's not a dig or presumed preference. You brought them into the conversation a few times.  

Not that it matters as it seems deflection is the strategy.  

Back OT: Considering the current climate (new powerful machines from both of nintendos console competitors) this doesn't seem like a crazy strategy.  Before the announcements of those upcoming consoles I would have agreed with you on a powerful nintendo console but after I can see this as a decent strategic move (if true of course).  

Time will tell.  

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Pemalite said:

They're not the same concept and I don't think that's the context of his argument either, the add ons were separate devices that came out years after launch unlike the concept here where one device houses the entire library, those are two vastly different concepts as one still maintains two different userbases while the other creates one large userbase for everything.

By the time the add ons came out the majority of people if not all would have had both a SNES/GB or GC/GBA regardless if we were to look at the point for arguments sake, with the rumoured concept anyone from either fanbase would have the one device rather than buying two devices so the userbases would be combined. Your argument is equivalent to someone saying disc based consoles aren't viable because the add ons on the Mega Drive didn't take off or the analogy I highlighted earliar with multiplayer. All this is before we go into detail of differences in the market now and back then.

The PSP and PS2 were bigger platforms than the Vita and PS4 so I don't get your point on that one. The 3DS actually had competition as well unlike the GBA and has still sold around 60m and could finish it's life at around 70m.