By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Leaker (Rumor): NX Is Modular, Upgradable, Uses Tegra X1 Successor

teigaga said:
Fei-Hung said:
Sounds really expensive where you might end up with stuff you don't need if i think of practically using it:

1) as a home console, the controllers it comes with might not be good enough as they are designed to be used as a hand held. Meaning I'll have to buy a controller and a docking station.

2) as a handheld, you'll need a charger set, carry case and it will most likely be bigger than a 3DS and possibly a Vita, meaning it might not be easy to carry around in your pocket.

I don't think it's complicated, but i do think for Nintendo to get this right, they will need to sell 2 bundles, one for hone gaming and one for portable. The home edition will come with a proper docking station and a proper joypad and the mobile one with a case and charger set. This way they can market is easier as well and costomers won't need to pay for this they don't need.

Its normal for people to have to pick an accessory or 2 to make the most of system, but why would the docking station not come with the system? If the selling point of the system is in it being a hybrid (3 devices in one- for the price of one), it makes sense for them to deliver that in the box. 

-Handheld/Tablet

-Handheld Detachable Controllers 

-Dock

-Charger. 

Thats not a crazy amount of things in one box. Paying extra for a traditional controller isn't a biggie. I mean didn't everyone who owned a Wii buy an extra controller? There will of course be premium bundles which come with extras like a controller or carrying case. 

I thought the rumor was the screen has 2 detachable controllers either side, but they will have a separate purpose built gaming controller. 

At the moment we don't know what the system comes with, we just know what bits are part of the system.

2) my point here was that I don't think they will pack in a travel controller which most handhelds have together with a docking station. They will provide one or the other. If the docking station might be bigger than a travel charger the likes of 3DS or Vita.

3) every extra will just increase the price of entry and Nintendo will want to be competitive with price. If people prefer more traditional gaming controllers they may need to pay £50-60 extra. If you prefer mobile gaming, having a travel charger might save you $60-80 from having to buy a docking station.

My point was to have bundles that cater to console and handheld gaming so they can easily target both markets at a lower cost of entry without any confusion. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

1. you cant say a console has tons of exclusives then turn around and agree that it suffers from multiple, long droughts. that is a contradiction. The fact is that Wii U gets a FEW big releases and a FEW smaller releases per year.

I never explicitely agreed that it had long droughts. But sure, keep putting words in my mouth.

zorg1000 said:

3. my point is it goes both ways. PS/XB are missing out on millions of gamers by catering almost solely on 13-35 year old males who primarily play shooters, sports, action games.

I disagree. There are tons of games on both platforms that appeal to a massive audience... Granted it's not on the same level as Mario, but they still exist.
And there are tons of "simpler" games too thanks to both companies embracing Indie/Arcade/Casual games as a whole.

Nintendo is also competing with Android and iOS and PC in terms of casual Audience these days.

zorg1000 said:

4. This entire thread and our discussion is based on the rumor that Nintendo is merging handhelds & consoles, it would make no sense to exclude one of those if that is indeed what Nintendo is planning on doing.

So your entire assumption is that the Audience of the Handheld and Console will carry over?

Should have probably told Nintendo about that with the Wii U and Microsoft with the Xbox One, both lost customers to Sony.

Lrdfancypants said:

Wait, why is Nintendo not allowed to count their handheld success as part of a their company success?  

We aren't talking about what Nintendo want's.

We are comparing platforms... And thus far I had assumed the entire discussion was about the home consoles.

Lrdfancypants said:

How on earth is PC install base more related to MS console gaming success than handheld is to Nintendos?

Er. Because the majority of the PC is powered by Microsoft's technology? They helped define various hardware components too via various Application Programming Interfaces in consort with various hardware manufacturers and also build a ton of peripherals for it also.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

1. you cant say a console has tons of exclusives then turn around and agree that it suffers from multiple, long droughts. that is a contradiction. The fact is that Wii U gets a FEW big releases and a FEW smaller releases per year.

I never explicitely agreed that it had long droughts. But sure, keep putting words in my mouth.

zorg1000 said:

3. my point is it goes both ways. PS/XB are missing out on millions of gamers by catering almost solely on 13-35 year old males who primarily play shooters, sports, action games.

I disagree. There are tons of games on both platforms that appeal to a massive audience... Granted it's not on the same level as Mario, but they still exist.
And there are tons of "simpler" games too thanks to both companies embracing Indie/Arcade/Casual games as a whole.

Nintendo is also competing with Android and iOS and PC in terms of casual Audience these days.

zorg1000 said:

4. This entire thread and our discussion is based on the rumor that Nintendo is merging handhelds & consoles, it would make no sense to exclude one of those if that is indeed what Nintendo is planning on doing.

So your entire assumption is that the Audience of the Handheld and Console will carry over?

Should have probably told Nintendo about that with the Wii U and Microsoft with the Xbox One, both lost customers to Sony.

So are you denying that Wii U suffers many droughts? Can you name 1 notable release between Lego City & Pikmin? Between 3D World & Tropical Freeze? Between Tropical Freeze & MK8? Between MK8 & Hyrule Warriors? Between MP10 & Splatoon? Between Splatoon & SMM? Between Xenoblade & Twilight Princess? If you deny that Wii U suffers from droughts, well you would be the first to do that.

Regardless PS/XB are missing out on millions of gamers to Nintendo just like Nintendo is missing out on millions of gamers to PS/XB. My whole point is that it goes both ways.

Im not assuming anything, but sure keep putting words in my mouth

Im saying that when a company merges 2 product lines into 1, you have to include both of them when talking about its potential success. You cant just ignore the one side that just so happens to be far more successful.

For example, if Sony were to merge their home console and handhelds into a hybrid device would you exclude the PS4 audience when talking about its potential success or would you focus only on Vita? Im guessing you would include PS4, so how does it make sense to exclude 3DS when talking about a Nintendo hybrid?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

zorg1000 said:

zorg1000 said:

Lrdfancypants said:

Wait, why is Nintendo not allowed to count their handheld success as part of a their company success?  

We aren't talking about what Nintendo want's.

1)We are comparing platforms... And thus far I had assumed the entire discussion was about the home consoles.

Lrdfancypants said:

How on earth is PC install base more related to MS console gaming success than handheld is to Nintendos?

2)Er. Because the majority of the PC is powered by Microsoft's technology? They helped define various hardware components too via various Application Programming Interfaces in consort with various hardware manufacturers and also build a ton of peripherals for it also.

1) The thread is about the possibility of a handheld/home console hybrid.  Beyond that you talked about the greater success of xbox vs nintendo.  The fact nintendo also makes and sales handheld game console hardware and games while microsoft does not hurts your point does not make it invalid (especially in a thread about a possible handheld/home console hybrid).  

2)Which has more relevance to the xbox brands success than handhelds to Nintendo?   

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

zorg1000 said:
Pemalite said:

So are you denying that Wii U suffers many droughts? Can you name 1 notable release between Lego City & Pikmin? Between 3D World & Tropical Freeze? Between Tropical Freeze & MK8? Between MK8 & Hyrule Warriors? Between MP10 & Splatoon? Between Splatoon & SMM? Between Xenoblade & Twilight Princess? If you deny that Wii U suffers from droughts, well you would be the first to do that.

Regardless PS/XB are missing out on millions of gamers to Nintendo just like Nintendo is missing out on millions of gamers to PS/XB. My whole point is that it goes both ways.

Im not assuming anything, but sure keep putting words in my mouth

Im saying that when a company merges 2 product lines into 1, you have to include both of them when talking about its potential success. You cant just ignore the one side that just so happens to be far more successful.

For example, if Sony were to merge their home console and handhelds into a hybrid device would you exclude the PS4 audience when talking about its potential success or would you focus only on Vita? Im guessing you would include PS4, so how does it make sense to exclude 3DS when talking about a Nintendo hybrid?

Yes, that was a weird stretch. 

Claim xbox is greater in handheld/home console hybrid discussion and then claim nintendo handhelds don't count towards discussion. 

Oh, and further claim pc install base somehow is more relevant to xbox home consoles than handhelds to nintendo.  I don't think the windows store is a flag to plant one's standard of arguement unless he wants to claim steam or some strange thing like that. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Are you suggesting that the Wii U see's a massive surge in sales when any of those games have launched and thus driven millions of console sales?
Should probably let Nintendo know about that then.

zorg1000 said:

I'm not denying that.
But the evidence does point to exclusives being less of a determiner when it comes to moving hardware as the Xbox has proven.

zorg1000 said:

Well. Considering that Nintendo has stated that NX isn't a Wii U or a 3DS successor... And considering that users don't automatically carry over into the next cycle... And considering that Nintendo's handhelds are now competing with Android/iOS... I think it's all pretty much conjecture untill we have hardware in our hands and we see how the market plays out.

Fact of the matter is though, Xbox has soundly beaten the Wii for years, that was my original point.

Lrdfancypants said:

Claim xbox is greater in handheld/home console hybrid discussion and then claim nintendo handhelds don't count towards discussion. 

Oh, and further claim pc install base somehow is more relevant to xbox home consoles than handhelds to nintendo.  I don't think the windows store is a flag to plant one's standard of arguement unless he wants to claim steam or some strange thing like that. 

That's not what I said at all.

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

Are you suggesting that the Wii U see's a massive surge in sales when any of those games have launched and thus driven millions of console sales?
Should probably let Nintendo know about that then.

zorg1000 said:

I'm not denying that.
But the evidence does point to exclusives being less of a determiner when it comes to moving hardware as the Xbox has proven.

zorg1000 said:

Well. Considering that Nintendo has stated that NX isn't a Wii U or a 3DS successor... And considering that users don't automatically carry over into the next cycle... And considering that Nintendo's handhelds are now competing with Android/iOS... I think it's all pretty much conjecture untill we have hardware in our hands and we see how the market plays out.

Fact of the matter is though, Xbox has soundly beaten the Wii for years, that was my original point.

Lrdfancypants said:

That's not what I said at all.

1. What are you talking about? How has anything i said let you to come up with that as a response?

2. We seem to be going in circles, all that proves is that having a constant flow of games is more desired than a few gamers per year.

3. They stated its not a SIMPLE successors, that one word changes the context of the entire statement. Now youre just arguing for the sake of argument. Nowhere did i ever saya hybrid device will see a 100% carry over from 3DS+Wii U. Im saying you cant exclude one side when talking about its potential impact. Of course Nintendo could release a product that appeals to neither side and sees a massove decline, or its possible that it appeals to way more people than 3DS/Wii U did.

Fact of the matter though is that Nintendo & Microsoft are dead even when comparing overall console sales and Nintendo absolutely dominates when adding in handhelds.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

3. They stated its not a SIMPLE successors, that one word changes the context of the entire statement. Now youre just arguing for the sake of argument. Nowhere did i ever saya hybrid device will see a 100% carry over from 3DS+Wii U. Im saying you cant exclude one side when talking about its potential impact. Of course Nintendo could release a product that appeals to neither side and sees a massove decline, or its possible that it appeals to way more people than 3DS/Wii U did.

Fact of the matter is... Nintendo have enabled entire mobile game library's to play on their home consoles multiple times before.

The SNES could do it with the Gameboy cart. Heck even the Gamecube could play all Gameboy Advance games... Did it draw millions of gamers in thanks to the sheer amount of mobile exclusives? Well. No. It didn't.

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

Fact of the matter is... Nintendo have enabled entire mobile game library's to play on their home consoles multiple times before.

The SNES could do it with the Gameboy cart. Heck even the Gamecube could play all Gameboy Advance games... Did it draw millions of gamers in thanks to the sheer amount of mobile exclusives? Well. No. It didn't.

Apples & oranges buddy, you're comparing two completely different things.

A hybrid device is a single device that can be played on the go or at home on the TV with 100% of Nintendo's software output being tailor made for this device.

If you wanted to do the same with your examples, you would need to buy two seperate devices along with an add-on and you still wouldnt be able to play your console games on the go. Also these add-ons were not released until halfway through these devices lives.

So you see how these are not the same situation?

I think it's more significant that Nintendo's full portfolio is now available to the people who actually buy the majority of their hardware -- portable buyers.

Even the DS outsold the Wii by a huge margin, and 3DS vs. Wii U and GBA vs. GCN isn't even close.

Imagine what a game like Splatoon could sell on a much higher userbase. So that's one bonus.

It isn't the be all end all though, it's not like Nintendo is going to sell double the hardware or something.

But it'll help. The modern Nintendo portables are basically consoles too ... GB/GBC/GBA really weren't, Nintendo didn't employ any of their top teams to those systems, on the GBA most games were farmed out, like for instance the Zelda games were made by Capcom, Golden Sun by Camelot, no new Mario game, F-Zero farmed out to nd Cube, etc.

But with the DS, things changed and Nintendo started making core titles for the system from the main EAD teams. So that meant its own Animal Crossing and Mario Kart from EAD and a New 2D Mario adventure. 3DS went even further with its own 3D Mario and Smash Brothers.

So unifying platforms now basically means Nintendo no longer has to support what was effectively becoming 2 consoles and that was a large strain on their resources. They can make 1 3D Mario now for example and the dev team is now free to work on a new IP for instance.

For that reason it's significant and it will boost Nintendo's software output, but I think taking Nintendo to more friendly confines of the portable space is a bigger deal for NX. Home consoles are simply too tough of a market for Nintendo, even with mobie (especially if they're smart and they adopt mobile), Nintendo can have a lot more success with portable devices.