By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Leaker (Rumor): NX Is Modular, Upgradable, Uses Tegra X1 Successor

The Basic NX better be able to plug in to a TV and play on the go without having to pay for more functionally. Now I wanna see the games.

Around the Network
wombat123 said:

I would think that too if I didn't remember how much confusion came from a simple concept like the Wii U and its gamepad as well as Nintendo's tendency to use confusing naming conventions for their product lines.

Most of that confusion came from the name and no marketing, replace U with 2 and have some adverts and that's the confusion gone.

If this is what they are going to do, then I'm afraid I just don't think its going to work. Just sounds way too confusing.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Wyrdness said:
wombat123 said:

I would think that too if I didn't remember how much confusion came from a simple concept like the Wii U and its gamepad as well as Nintendo's tendency to use confusing naming conventions for their product lines.

Most of that confusion came from the name and no marketing, replace U with 2 and have some adverts and that's the confusion gone.

exactly! proper marketing and word of mouth can bypass this, people are not THAT stupid, basic and pro versions of the same product are being used commonly, even by apple

if 3rd party support is close to zero once more, people won't buy a basic or a pro version anyway...

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

So...Nintendo is trying to confuse people even more. That'll go really well with their NX marketing campaign. The second you introduce detachable screens is the second you exit the mainstream and your demographic is crazy people in an insane asylum.

I find this to be probably true due to many things Kimishima has said. "NX is not the successor to Wii U or 3DS". It's probably a hybrid, a successor to both. How funny. And "NX isn't one system, it's a family of systems". I think this has something to do with NX. I just think it's going to be insanely hard to market. Especially when you're making people buy screens.

Around the Network

Great. I was really missing these fucking NX rumors... >.>

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

JEMC said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

If you think this is complicated, I pitty you trying to play Pokemon Go. It's basically Wii U but the Gamepad also has brains and you can take it anywhere. The two chips could work together for more power.

It's odd that most people saying it's too confusing don't game on Nintendo systems.  Other systems must be really simple. 

I do play on Nintendo consoles, as I've been doing for gens, and find the idea too complex to succeed.

And no, what the rumor describes is a Vita TV for which you can buy a screen to play on the go, and a booster pack that gives the base module more power. That is confusing to explain to someone who wants to buy the console and have the best possible game experience.

No, it describes a Vita + Vita TV like combo that can enhance the TV experience when playing at home, plus the ability to possibly upgrade via carts.  Yeah, pretty difficult to understand. 

Soundwave said:
Trunkin said:
Bullshit. There's no way Nintendo of all companies is gonna put out a modular console. It sounds too complicated to market and sell effectively.

I don't really think it would be that complicated. 

Base Console. Cheap. 

Home Dock. 

LCD + Battery Pak if you want to take it on the go. 

If this is too complicated, video games probably aren't for you to begin with. 

Even the Wiimote was modular and upgraded. You had to buy a nunchaku (sold seperately) to play all games and then you had to buy a Wii Motion Plus to play other games on top of that. 

The thing is if you're too stupid/out of touch to figure out what to buy, the base console will be more than enough for you. If you can't understand a home dock, you probably can't tell the difference between 720p or 1080p or even know what 4K means or what 30 fps vs 60 fps is, so you wouldn't need any of that stuff. 

It's not so much to do with not knowing how to figure it out, but with it just not being a cohesive and approachable design. You're talking about popping and lcd and battery pack in and out of your base console(which is useless on its own, if i understand correctly) plus the home dock, and whatever coontrols and cables go along with that. I dunno, it just sounds like the antithesis of the whole "approachable" "just works" direction that electronics have been going in for the past decade. I can't imagine anyone looking at all those parts and thinking "I want to buy this for my kid." Even if it comes preassembled, I can't think of how they could market the modular fuctionality without making it seem like too much of a hassle for most people to be bothered with.

With the Wiimote, you just plugged your nunchuck in and you were done. Motion plus was a bit more complicated, but the Wiimote had only one port, so, once again, pretty straight forward. Even then I'm sure you had people wondering why they needed that little addon in the first place.

TheLastStarFighter said:
JEMC said:

I do play on Nintendo consoles, as I've been doing for gens, and find the idea too complex to succeed.

And no, what the rumor describes is a Vita TV for which you can buy a screen to play on the go, and a booster pack that gives the base module more power. That is confusing to explain to someone who wants to buy the console and have the best possible game experience.

No, it describes a Vita + Vita TV like combo that can enhance the TV experience when playing at home, plus the ability to possibly upgrade via carts.  Yeah, pretty difficult to understand. 

From the article in the OP, the main unit would be like a Vita TV, with no screen, so no portability. You could buy a screen for it to make it portable and then also buy controllers:

"The purposed price will be of $300, the LCD will be sold for $100-200 depending on the size and resolution. The controllers will be extra to assemble on it in a portable form for $50."

That's nothing like a Vita + Vita TV. In fact, with this system you're going to have to buy the base model and then, if you want to get a handheld, you'll have to buy the screen add-on. And if you want the shiny graphics and are fan of resolutions and fps, you'll have to buy the booster pack. And finally, if someone wants to get the full experience, you'll have to buy all three components of this mess.

But whatever, I don't think this is true.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Nautilus said:
Lrdfancypants said:

This would be excellent if true. 

I do not think people would be confused by this. We live a cell phone world now where everyday people read specs on their telephone for goodness sake upgrading to the latest and greatest power phones buying accessories and battery packs and charging stations etc...

This new console philosophy fits better with the current times than the old I think. We shall see if someone actually tries it. 

Since when everyday people read specs to know which phone to buy...?

People just buy the latest phone because its a popular trend, not to mention thats the "cool" thing to do.Its not because "ohhhh this has x RAM processing power and a double core capable of running the best games!".They buy because "Ohhhhh its the Iphone 6!I will be lame if I stay with my Iphone 5S!".

They know that it will be more powerful, but they dont know how much, and they dont care.

if you say so. 

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....