By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Leaker (Rumor): NX Is Modular, Upgradable, Uses Tegra X1 Successor

I dunno... Sounds too complicated for casuals. I think it's could be a great idea, if done right, and it would explain why Nintendo wanted to keep it a secret, but on the other hand we haven't heard anything to support this, no other rumor have mentioned it and there's no patent leaks for it. I remain sceptikal

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

All things considered this is probably what I want right now, which probably means it wont be anything like this hehe. I wont really trust any rumors until the reveal.

Oh man, the suspense is killing me.

glimmer_of_hope said:
Theres no possible way. Who is going to pay$300 for a console and an additional $200 for a screen plus another $50 for a controller? Thats not even logical! So a base unit is $550 and you would need to upgrade that further? And why a portable console? Whos going to pay that type of money just to lose or brake?

Yep, who going to believe some average smuck on neogaf.

mutantsushi said:
I don't see how the extreme modularity thing can work out.
Devs would need to develop/test for each potential module combination.
At max I can see them developing for a mobile mode and a TV/console mode.
Which very well may be the same core hardware,
just downclocked/ some cores disabled to save battery in mobile where screen res will be lower anyways.
But if it is supposed to be the same game fundamentally, targetting dozens of module combos is crazy.

False.

Middleware makes scaling a trivial issue for supported architectures thought it may lack special optimizations you'd find in more dedicated scenarios. But so long as the modularized chips are of the same family and supported by the middleware, then it would not be an issue for the dev.

it is entirely feasible that Nitendo would do a modular design. A base handheld as the core system that sits in a dock which provides more memory, storage and GPU capabities to push a TV to 4K. (Tegra X1 can already do that, its successor surely can) Then designed in such a manner that they can later out a minor upgrade toe the core unti that still gets benefit from the tv base or the ability to switch out the RAM or GPU of the tv base... or just entire TV base. 

Game consoles are moving towards shorter iterations with constant incremental improvements. Just as phones are replaced each year, so shall we see incrementally better consoles every 2 years. MSony are doing it now with entire consoles that cost $400 to replace. What if Nintendo does it with $100 components that include free games?

This sounds fake right?
a guy that translates manga, heard from his japanese friends who just happend to know... ?

And the info doesnt make much sense?

Around the Network

He has no source whatsoever.This is no better than any other rumor.I really hope Nintendo just announces the damn NX

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Sounds way too good to be true, and way too complex for a handheld that needs to be durable, simple enough for families, and cheap enough to sell. Sounds like another wishlist adjusted for the latest leaks.

Uh oh I don't know what to think of this and tbqh I don't completely understand it.

TallSilhouette said:

Sounds way too good to be true, and way too complex for a handheld that needs to be durable, simple enough for families, and cheap enough to sell. Sounds like another wishlist adjusted for the latest leaks.

Thing is he posted this 2 months before EuroGamer did, and he even said that leaks would start happening in about 2 months. 

It could be a hell of a coincidence I suppose, SemiAccurate did post the Nintendo using Nvidia thing a couple of days before, so he could have taken that news and deduced a hybrid console from that (hell, I've been proposing scenarios with a hybrid console for a while too). 

That said a lot of this guy's details seem dead on with Eurogamer/MCV/Wallstreet Journal/IGN, he just had it earlier. 

Could be fake and a lot of things just lined up by coincidence I suppose. 

Sounds too confusing to be a Nintendo console.

Nintendo likes simplicity.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.