By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Leaker (Rumor): NX Is Modular, Upgradable, Uses Tegra X1 Successor

Yea I am gonna go ahead and say nope to this one... Sounds like nonsense

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Faelco said:
If it's this complicated with multiple parts you can buy to upgrade or you need to buy to be able to play or not like an handheld, it will fail.

The Neo and Scorpio seem already complicated for the casual crowd when they're just simple iteration, a console as a kit would just be too much. Simplicity is key: they failed to explain clearly the easy concept of the Wii U, I can't see how they would explain this thing and sell it to casual gamers and parents like they want to do. A console with the PC upgrade system is the opposite of "We want the casuals back like what we did with the Wii"... (and let's not talk about price or third party support for this)

I think the "leaker" is wrong or misinterpreting things.

Being able to add 1 home console dock and 1 LCD display to a "base NX body" is nothing like the PC, where you have to choose the CPU, GPU, RAM, power supply unit, fan, casing, hard drive, monitor, all seperately and then assemble all the cables and RAM modules and all that. 

This would be 100x simpler, you just plug and play. 

If this rumor is true, the body, the dock, the LCD, the controller to make it handheld (when a handheld should be cheaper btw), plus the upgrade cartridges really are complicated enough, and even too complicated IMO for casuals and parents. 

Why would you have to think about something complicated like this when you can buy a 3DS, a PS4 or a mobile instead? The NX will arrive on an already crowded market with very well established competition and everything to prove, and at a bad launch date (march?). If they want to convince their target audience to take a NX instead of anything else, simplicity is key. People should be able to understand the concept with a 10-20 second TV ad and immediately say "That's great, I want one!", not "WTF was that? How much will it really cost? How does it compare to other consoles?". Otherwise, it will just be like the Wii U, why bother with this when you have easier and surer choices with the competition while waiting for the next gen. 

Faelco said:
If it's this complicated with multiple parts you can buy to upgrade or you need to buy to be able to play or not like an handheld, it will fail.

The Neo and Scorpio seem already complicated for the casual crowd when they're just simple iteration, a console as a kit would just be too much. Simplicity is key: they failed to explain clearly the easy concept of the Wii U, I can't see how they would explain this thing and sell it to casual gamers and parents like they want to do. A console with the PC upgrade system is the opposite of "We want the casuals back like what we did with the Wii"... (and let's not talk about price or third party support for this)

I think the "leaker" is wrong or misinterpreting things.

I agree with the worry of it being overcomplicated.  If there's one thing I think you have to assume when it comes to the average consumer; it's that they're probably too lazy to figure things out that are out of the ordinary even if it's just a little out of their comfort zone.  If this rumor turns out to be true, then Nintendo is going to have to try really hard to show people how it works. I'm talking about continuously repeating the concept slowly and simplistically as if they're trying to explain it to a bunch of five-year-olds with ADHD.

Being brazilian I can guarantee this is fake. The leak for a japanese console will never come from a brazilian on a UOL  forum post which is also badly written.

I am 100% sure this is fake.

Kind of like this?  

Because that would be awesome.

Otherwise, it sounds like something parents would stay away from.

Around the Network

Bullshit. There's no way Nintendo of all companies is gonna put out a modular console. It sounds too complicated to market and sell effectively.

Sounds like a mess...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Soundwave said:
daredevil.shark said:

Beauty of Nintendo is in simplicity. Sega Genesis 32x was way too complicated. In console gaming people expect simplicity and if the leak is true then Nintendo is going for a bad product. Chip doesn't matter. If customers are confused then it won't spell well.

32X wasn't complicated unless the user was a fucking idiot who couldn't figure out how to insert a cartridge into the Genesis to begin with. 

32X just sucked ... that was the problem. It had like 15 games total, 3 of which were actually decent, and was released 5 months before Sega's actual next-generation console (the Saturn). There was no incentive to buy it. Would you buy a Wii U Plus this November or wait for a proper NX in March/April? 

The Genesis really wasn't designed to be modular in that way anyway, that's why the 32X looked so bizarre. The NES to GameCube were all modular with bottom side upgrade ports. This is the bottom of the GameCube:

https://youtu.be/VvR_3OTxs8A

I don't see how the extreme modularity thing can work out.
Devs would need to develop/test for each potential module combination.
At max I can see them developing for a mobile mode and a TV/console mode.
Which very well may be the same core hardware,
just downclocked/ some cores disabled to save battery in mobile where screen res will be lower anyways.
But if it is supposed to be the same game fundamentally, targetting dozens of module combos is crazy.

Trunkin said:
Bullshit. There's no way Nintendo of all companies is gonna put out a modular console. It sounds too complicated to market and sell effectively.

I don't really think it would be that complicated. 

Base Console. Cheap. 

Home Dock. 

LCD + Battery Pak if you want to take it on the go. 

If this is too complicated, video games probably aren't for you to begin with. 

Even the Wiimote was modular and upgraded. You had to buy a nunchaku (sold seperately) to play all games and then you had to buy a Wii Motion Plus to play other games on top of that. 

The thing is if you're too stupid/out of touch to figure out what to buy, the base console will be more than enough for you. If you can't understand a home dock, you probably can't tell the difference between 720p or 1080p or even know what 4K means or what 30 fps vs 60 fps is, so you wouldn't need any of that stuff.