By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Leaker (Rumor): NX Is Modular, Upgradable, Uses Tegra X1 Successor

superchunk said:
So the link to whatever his image is does not work for me. Anyone have a new link?

It's a Raspberry Pi basically, he's saying that's NOT NX, but it's similar to what he saw (a dev unit?), it's basically a decoupled LCD with a bunch of cables going into it. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

More (better translations).

Basically it sounds like you can buy the base console for cheap (720p, 30 fps) but the base console which is portable can have cartridge module upgrades plug into it which increase power.

Apparently Microsoft already knows this and it copying the idea already, lol

It's just you guys still didn't get the modular concept, understand that it's possible to increase the console's capacity upgrading the expansion modules. Basically if someone wants the "basic console" it'll play stuff at 720p and 30 fps in its portable form. If they want to play on the TV they can use the expansion module that works as an external egpu with the graphical power of a PS4. If they want something better, Nintendo may release a egpu model for 4K TVs.

Remember that current consoles are going to have different versions and the industry is going down the PC and smartphones' road, where games run at different graphical configurations.

Did you get it now, the modular concept?
The egpus are like cartridges that fit in the portable console.

That sounds fucking awesome honestly, I have some doubts Nintendo would be this bold though. 

I take this all as a big rumor but the bolded part made me laugh because it's totally something Microsoft (or Sony) would do.

Sounds like Sega Genesis 32x.

NVM his image is just a similar idea which shows a raspberry pi and some random remote.

What is interesting is his post is from May and perfect in relation to the newest leaks. Plus it points to using a the successor chip to the X1 which he dubs the N1 and latest leaks just called X2.

Really cool idea is the more modular system / idea. What you get is a true home console and true handheld with the ability to be modularly upgraded for cheap over time.

I love it!

daredevil.shark said:

Kinda of except today mobile chips are tiny. 

It would actually be like the Super FX chips, size wise of the SNES days, doubling the processor power could be something the size of a SD Card or a slightly wider/thicker DS cartridge that you just plug right into the system. 

The 32X was a giant monstrosity that was more than doubled the size of the Genesis. 

Around the Network

If it's this complicated with multiple parts you can buy to upgrade or you need to buy to be able to play or not like an handheld, it will fail.

The Neo and Scorpio seem already complicated for the casual crowd when they're just simple iteration, a console as a kit would just be too much. Simplicity is key: they failed to explain clearly the easy concept of the Wii U, I can't see how they would explain this thing and sell it to casual gamers and parents like they want to do. A console with the PC upgrade system is the opposite of "We want the casuals back like what we did with the Wii"... (and let's not talk about price or third party support for this)

I think the "leaker" is wrong or misinterpreting things.

Something like this

Base NX (Micro Console): $149.99, 540p-720p graphics, (500 GFLOPS)

NX LCD display (7-inch) + Battery Pack (4 hours): $99.99

Home Dock NX: $199.99, adds 1.5 TFLOP processing power (2 TFLOP total when paired, 1080P graphics).

Could be cool as a rough idea. Buy which ever config you want.

Soundwave said:
daredevil.shark said:

It would actually be like the Super FX chips, size wise of the SNES days, doubling the processor power could be something the size of a SD Card or a slightly wider/thicker DS cartridge that you just plug right into the system. 

The 32X was a giant monstrosity that was more than doubled the size of the Genesis. 

Beauty of Nintendo is in simplicity. Sega Genesis 32x was way too complicated. In console gaming people expect simplicity and if the leak is true then Nintendo is going for a bad product. Chip doesn't matter. If customers are confused then it won't spell well.

Faelco said:
If it's this complicated with multiple parts you can buy to upgrade or you need to buy to be able to play or not like an handheld, it will fail.

The Neo and Scorpio seem already complicated for the casual crowd when they're just simple iteration, a console as a kit would just be too much. Simplicity is key: they failed to explain clearly the easy concept of the Wii U, I can't see how they would explain this thing and sell it to casual gamers and parents like they want to do. A console with the PC upgrade system is the opposite of "We want the casuals back like what we did with the Wii"... (and let's not talk about price or third party support for this)

I think the "leaker" is wrong or misinterpreting things.

Being able to add 1 home console dock and 1 LCD display to a "base NX body" is nothing like the PC, where you have to choose the CPU, GPU, RAM, power supply unit, fan, casing, hard drive, monitor, all seperately and then assemble all the cables and RAM modules and all that. 

This would be 100x simpler, you just plug and play. 

daredevil.shark said:
Soundwave said:

Beauty of Nintendo is in simplicity. Sega Genesis 32x was way too complicated. In console gaming people expect simplicity and if the leak is true then Nintendo is going for a bad product. Chip doesn't matter. If customers are confused then it won't spell well.

32X wasn't complicated unless the user was a fucking idiot who couldn't figure out how to insert a cartridge into the Genesis to begin with. 

32X just sucked ... that was the problem. It had like 15 games total, 3 of which were actually decent, and was released 5 months before Sega's actual next-generation console (the Saturn). There was no incentive to buy it. Would you buy a Wii U Plus this November or wait for a proper NX in March/April? 

The Genesis really wasn't designed to be modular in that way anyway, that's why the 32X looked so bizarre. The NES to GameCube were all modular with bottom side upgrade ports. This is the bottom of the GameCube: