By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Reasons the NX will be a flop

Goodnightmoon said:

[…]
As for the power, don't be naive, this is probably on Game Boy Color level.

Are you absolutely sure it will have colours? I can't see that happening, more than black and white is basically impossible for Nintendo. Maybe 4 colours, but no more, zero chance!

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
onionberry said:

This

Imo, it depends on pricing. I don't consider it being a hybrid just cause it can connect to the TV... By that logic, my smartphone is a hybrid cause I can buy a connector which also lets it connect to a TV. Or my laptop is a desktop when I connect the HDMI to its port... Unless there is a huge performance boost, it's just a handheld with a dock which lets people charge and play it on the TV at the sametime.

And people do buy handhelds and people do buy Nintendo games... It doesn't need to sell 100 million to be considered a success...

I consider it a hybrid because, from the leaked design rumor, the buttons detaching and it mounting to a stand will likely be a large selling point. the point of a docking stations is to combine the two needed cords, which are an HDMI and power cord, into one entity to increase convinience. You will most likely always have the docking station set up to charge the thing anyway and it likely be more convinient to go from handheld to TV gaming than any other device. No other popular gaming device can truly be considered a hybrid device. it takes more than simply giving a smartphone HDMI out (like my old motorolla atrix), it has to be built with convinience and a home console gaming experience in mind.

also consider that Wii U support is tappering off like Nintendo usually does when the successor is about to come out and that the new sonic is announced for PS4/XBO/NX instead of Wii U. NX is no doubt the successor to both 3ds and Wii U.

NX will be a console that you can detatch and use on the go or a handheld made to seamlessly dock to a TV. I doubt they will try and convince consumers it is one or the other. they will say it is both. with the Wii U being Nintendo worst selling console and 3ds being the worst selling handheld, it makes sense for them to want to combine their entire consumer base remaining. also this can be what they needed to stay relevant in the console market. they were never going to compete with MS and Sony by making a powerful console that goes for the big 3rd party games and big exclusives as well. they have had too many generation of lacking hardware and online infrastructure (coupled with bad 3rd party support/relations) to confidently win over the consumer who currently prefers PS and XB. I don't know how well it will do but it seems like a smart move and this rumored concept appeals to me as someone who skipped buying a Wii U.

onionberry said:
AZWification said:

Less powerful than the 360? I'm going to be shocked if it's more powerful than the Dreamcast. Nintendo has fucked up.

it's going to be more powerful than the atari jaguar tho

But will it handle Plumbers Don't Wear Ties?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Kotastic said:
AZWification said:

Less powerful than the 360? I'm going to be shocked if it's more powerful than the Dreamcast. Nintendo has fucked up.

Don't be absurd. It would only be a dream if the NX can even surpass N64 standards.

I guess you're right. Nintendo is done, guys..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Is this a troll threed?

The 5 year old 3DS is selling more than the Xbox One. It primarily functioning as a handheld is just confirmation that NX will be fine. If we extrapolate on the decline of the handheld market, acknowledge that it will be a bit expensive for a typical Nintendo handheld and add to it the sales it'll receive for those buying it as a console (10m), we're looking at 50m minimum.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
thismeintiel said:

Maybe for the die hard Nintendo fan, but any core gamer isn't gong to buy a $299 HH that's less powerful, and has less game support, than their $299 PS4/XBO.  And definitely not for the people who refused to pay $249 for the 3DS.  If anyone wants a nice Android gaming machine, they could probably just use their phone with Chromecast, or buy a $199 Nvidia Shield.

I think there may be more than a few parents willing to buy a $250-$300 NX rather than a $400 iPad Mini + another $300 on a game console on top of that. 

The value at $299.99 if it can run Android apps, play full scale Nintendo games, play ports of modern third party games like Dragon Quest XI *on the fucking road* (good luck doing that with your PS4), Virtual Console games, and be like a mobile LAN machine that people gather around and play together for a different/more social play dynamic is fine. 

This isn't just a rinky dink handheld that can barely produce PS2 graphics, it'll likely be able to play even a fair number of PS4/XB1 current gen games on the go. If Nintendo can pull that off, they're in business. 

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this thing destroys the PS4 in Japan and ends up getting a lot of Japanese support as a result. Dragon Quest XI, Pokemon Go, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Pokemon RPG NX, Super Mario, Smash Bros., Splatoon NX, probably Monster Hunter 5 too on one mobile device .... gonna be destruction in Japan. 

I can already do this with my Vita (WiFi version), connected to my PS4, using my smartphone with 4G (but not with DQ XI yet ).

Ok, I need 3 devices for that, but I can do it

thismeintiel said:
zorg1000 said:

You seem to be forgetting the history of 3DS as well, so many people blame its early poor sales on the price but seem to forget that it had an awful software library and poor marketing at the time.

From Nintendo the only 2 major releases for 3DS pre-price cut were Nintendogs and a 13 year old Zelda remaster while the biggest 3rd party release was a 3 year old Street Fighter port.

In terms of marketing, it was initially widely believed to be nothing more than a DS revision with a 3D screen.

Im not saying the price wasnt a factor but we cant say 3DS sold poorly at $249, therefore NX will too. A strong software lineup and affective marketing can make the difference whether a device is seen as too expensive or priced just right.

As for HH market dead/dying, launches aligned 3DS is only a few million behind PS4 & over 15 million ahead of XBO.

Nope.  Sales show us that price was the #1 reason.  After it dropped to $169 on August 12th,  sales skyrocketed from 36K the week before to 350K the week of the price cut.  It wasn't even until the holiday that it got Mario Kart and 3d Mario Land, so SW didn't account for those boosts.  So, it's save to say that people who are used to paying $150-$180 for a Nintendo handheld, aren't interested in paying $249-$299 for one.

If I'm correct, the 3DS is something like 7M behind the PS4, launches aligned.  Of course, the PS4 launched at $399 and is only $50 cheaper almost 3 years after launch.  The 3DS, on the other hand, started out $150 cheaper and got a $80 cut less than 6 months after launch.

Obviously a 30% price cut will boost sales, im saying price alone was not the sole reason for poor sales and that its initially limited software lineup was a large factor as well. If games like 3D Land, MK7 & Monster Hunter were on 3DS in the launch/post-launch window than such a drastic price cut so early may have not been necessary.

And yes 3DS is cheaper than PS4, doesnt change the fact that its tracking pretty well when compared to PS4/XBO, so if handhelds are dead than consoles must not be doing amazing either.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:

I think it's the traditional console market that's in decline.

The new generation of kids play in different ways, NX will probably be the first dedicated gaming console device actually made for that new audience, not 30-somethings still clinging to the 90s.

Creating a mobile centric device that's still powerful enough to play modern games on the go while being able to also play the mobile games that kids love (Pokemon Go, Clash of Clans, Candy Crush) all in one place I think could pay big dividends for Nintendo. 

Plus I do think something like this could be a big crowd pleaser in public ... if implimented correctly it could jump start local multiplayer by allowing local multiplayer to happen anywhere anytime in public. 

Yep. It might be great. Nintendo is going blue ocean again. If it *really* works, they might compleet the supposed Wii plan of moving up market. It might be their only chance of getting back some console marketshare from Sony/MS.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

At this stage big third party developers are almost certain to avoid NX. They want hardcore gamers and NX is probably not for that market. Plus PS4 Neo and Xbox Scorpio will make it obsolete soon.

What's going to ensure that Nintendo doesn't run into issues again is their shared library. There'd be less game droughts if Nintendo doesn't have to make 2 versions of each of their main games. No other company does that, it's insane and it's a handicap for them at this point. I believe this is why they've merged their Hardware and Software departments.

Rethinking my earlier thoughts, it's kind of ridiculous to shoot down a console before it is even revealed... that stems from pure hatred and ignorance for a company. I highly doubt Nintendo would be so humiliated by Wii U and want to just do the same thing again.