By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Batman: The Killing Joke horrifyingly objectifies and victimizes Batgirl! SPOILERS!!!

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 24 July 2018

Around the Network

Is the movie any good, anyway? First time I ever read about, it looks interesting. Looking through the comments here, though, it seems like the decision of putting a sex scene in order to strengthen Bruce and Barbara's relationship wasn't the best in terms of character development, but I think I can easily pass that.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

The Killing Joke is not a nice story for any of the characters there. Everybody there is victimized, even the Joker with his origin story. To be fair, in the novel, Barbara is used as a plot device and really doesn't add anything else to the story. A scene where Bats and Barb get intimate seems very unnecessary. I can't see it being done to well, but I guess I'll find out soon enough when I see the movie.

OttoniBastos said:
Mike321 said:

What really bothers me about the movie is the fact that Batman and Batgirl had sex, that's wrong in so many ways

There is at least one version of batman that actually got into Barbara's pants(I remember the batman beyond cartoon for example).

Having said that,my guess is that those extra barbara scenes were added as an attemp to make the movie self-sutainable in the sense that if this is your first time seeing batman you don't need to know anything about the previous stories to understand how devastating joker's actions are to batman in this arc.Basically they put Batman and barbara together as a way to create a bond easy to see for the mainstream audience.This obviously backfired,altough,to be fair The killing Joke is the type of story that would cause butthurt anyway.

If it were essential to get to know the character, and they introduced her in a clever way I'd be all for it. As stated, the comic book isn't essentially about Barbara Gordon. It's the first look into how similar Joker and Batman are (through an origin story of the Joker), and essentially that's the whole storyline; Joker proving to Batman just how similar they are. One of the greatest quotes from all comic books ever is where Batman and Joker are discussing how similar they are and Joker says "All it takes is one bad day". It's unbelievably clever how they included the devistation of Batgirl getting paralized and Joker not even knowing (he was just trying to get to James Gordon). The biggest impactful thing was a fleeting reation by the Joker, and Batgirl simply having bad luck, because all it takes is one bad day.

Metallox said:
Is the movie any good, anyway? First time I ever read about, it looks interesting. Looking through the comments here, though, it seems like the decision of putting a sex scene in order to strengthen Bruce and Barbara's relationship wasn't the best in terms of character development, but I think I can easily pass that.

Mark Hammil and Kevin Conroy are still BOSS. Take out the unneeded first half hour and it's pretty great.

T osee how they SHOULD have treated the first 30 minutes watch Robin's Reckoning from Batman The Animated Series.

Around the Network
Shadow8 said:
The Killing Joke is not a nice story for any of the characters there. Everybody there is victimized, even the Joker with his origin story. To be fair, in the novel, Barbara is used as a plot device and really doesn't add anything else to the story. A scene where Bats and Barb get intimate seems very unnecessary. I can't see it being done to well, but I guess I'll find out soon enough when I see the movie.

Well, if being portrayed as a completely inept character is better than a plot device then congrats are in order.... I guess?...

Flashpoint paradox seemed worse off in terms of being depressing considering Barry couldn't save his mom, went back in time, caused a paradox and then had to put things right by having his mom get killed again, all while shit went to hell in that alternate universe. Also Wonder Woman beat the shit out of plenty of heroes and even killed William Batson. I've seen enough D.C animated movies to know that they don't treat a woman like some dainty object. The way the movie and comic were written was how they were intended to be.

Don't forget Bruce has been through some traumatic times as well as plenty of other heroes. I don't see why this has to be "it's because she's a girl" kind of topic.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

bigtakilla said:
Shadow8 said:

Well, if being portrayed as a completely inept character is better than a plot device then congrats are in order.... I guess?...

Well, I haven't seen it yet, so I can't say how they handled it from my view, but if it's how you said, then the beginning of the movie is kind of just wasted, especially since none of that happened in the novel and is just adding depth to her in a way that backfired. It all started in Arkham Asylum after all and should be portrayed as that. I'll still watch it since the cast seems too perfect to not watch it.

spurgeonryan said:
Sounds terrible. I will keep all my kids away from it.

Kids shouldn't be watching The Killing Joke. It's an adult story. It was never intended for children. The comic pushed the limits of what could be published in a comic at it's release. This animated version is an R rated film and it's intended to be graphic. It's not Teen Titans Go

Sounds like she will have a more interesting plot development than the Mary Sues we are getting elsewhere