By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Batman: The Killing Joke horrifyingly objectifies and victimizes Batgirl! SPOILERS!!!

d21lewis said:
bigtakilla said:

UTRH definitely cut out what it didn't need to tell the story and changed some things up, but the beginning of The Killing Joke doesn't even seem to know the character it is trying to portray (at least in Barbara Gordon's case). Tough to say which actually stayed closer to the source material, though after roughly a third of the movie in The Killing Joke is pretty much dead on.

I didn't know Judd Winning penned the screenplay, but yeah, it seems to get the comics and the characters it represents perfectly. None seem so insanely out of character for no good reason.

I want to argue with you but I can't since UTRH and Flashpoint are my two favorite DC films.

You win this time....

Yeah Lewis, the original Death in the Family was really terribly written.  Under the Red Hood pretty much fixed everything.

Around the Network

Maybe they couldn't just keep things in a straight line. Like they thought of this idea of batgirl and batman. But when they got around to it. Having multiple writers/stories, for those episodes failed to really give any clear direction. And so, their ideas stayed in their heads. But what we saw, was nothing. And creators don't usually watch their stuff as fans. See it once, move on. Memories got confused.

I saw The Killing Joke, and it was fucking wonderful. A true masterpiece. My friends went silent after it was all over.
People are too sensitive these days. 3 years ago this movie would have been a non-issue. Wonder if there would be calls to sue or censor the DC Universe.

There's a fan made "motion comic" of The Killing Joke on YouTube that I watched a day or two ago. It's about an hour long but the voice acting combined with the original art--it still gave me chills. Worth checking out.

archer9234 said:
Maybe they couldn't just keep things in a straight line. Like they thought of this idea of batgirl and batman. But when they got around to it. Having multiple writers/stories, for those episodes failed to really give any clear direction. And so, their ideas stayed in their heads. But what we saw, was nothing. And creators don't usually watch their stuff as fans. See it once, move on. Memories got confused.

But that goes back to Timm's delusion of it.  It's nowhere other than a few times when he tried to push it, yet he goes on and on abo ut how it was everywhere.  How the hell did you get out of touch after making the greatest depiction of Batman ever?  I also don't like how he kept pushing for super asshole Batman either.  Puts Batman and Dick out of character.

Around the Network

I am S O  T R I G G E R E D right now. #PrayForBatgrill
Still liked the movie to be quite frankly honest tbh.

You mean a mature Batman story features a mature story involving rape and sex? *gasp*

The Killing Joke wasn't for you. It was for DC and Batman faithfuls who have been waiting for the defining chapter of the Joker to finally be animated. This is what main Joker's backstory almost coherent, as well as transforming Batgirl into The Oracle.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Men are objectified too. It's life.

Ok, I watched it with friends Sunday night. We're all in our mid 30's, and my male friends brought their wives, we all enjoyed the film. It was kinda simple, but it was great.

d21lewis said:
bigtakilla said:

It follows the source material for the character. It doesn't add scenes which further shows him being an inept character in the universe before they show the killing, and in fact the focus of the movie is his resurrection and his ability to go toe to toe with the bat, NOT his death. It shows PLENTY of respect to Jason Todd. Have you seen that movie?

As for the second part, I never said I would want to show it to anyone, I merely mentioned the two people I live with. THis is your own leap of logic.

Under the Red Hood definitively strays from the source material--way more than the Killing Joke did. I guess the problem you have is that you like the way one strays more than the other.

The closest DCU films to the comics have been Dark Knight Returns pt 1&2, Batman Year One, and The Killing Joke. The rest take a lot of liberties, some good and some bad. At least, with Under The Red Hood, the same guy that penned the comic penned the screenplay (Judd Winning). Maybe that's why it seemed better to you.

All Star Superman is also pretty faithful to the original Grant Morrison 12 part series.