By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Moderators- questions on non-gaming flaming

I think it's all about the tact of the user and how they craft the message.

Otherwise,

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
vivster said:

If you flame against anything that's not a user on this site or one of the 3 console manufacturers you can say whatever you want. It's the rules.

"EA is the shittiest game publisher of all time!" - No Ban

"Nintendo is the shittiest game publisher of all time!" - Instant Ban

"Adam Sandler can go to hell!" - No Ban

"Shigeru Miyamoto can go to hell!" - Instant Ban

"The new iPhone is garbage!" - No Ban"

"The new Nintendo console is garbage!" - Instant ban

See the fine nuance here?

Not true! I ate a 7 day ban for this post.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
vivster said:

If you flame against anything that's not a user on this site or one of the 3 console manufacturers you can say whatever you want. It's the rules.

See, you made the mistake of attacking a game that's highly affiliated with the PS4. That's a big no no. You are only allowed to attack games that are none affiliated with one of the big 3 or ones that no one gives a shit about.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

FunFan said:
vivster said:

No way. There had to be more to it. If you got banned solely for that post, it's even worse than I thought. And I didn't think it could get worse. I got banned for calling someone captain obvious.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

FunFan said:
RolStoppable said:

My campaign for modship will be built around getting Miguel_Zorro fired. I know it from PMs that that is something that the fine folks of VGC want.

Interesting...

I wouldn't mind having more leeway with my grammer, either.

That actually caused me pain, I hope you know this and feel bad about it!

@OP this could very well have been a PM to one of the head mods rather than a thread though, heck it didn't even need to be a PM, you could have just clicked report on MBP's post and then put the OP content mostly into that, a Mod would have judged on the thread/post in question and most likely have PM'd you a reply to the content in your report, (I've made many such PM/Reports about threads, sometimes threads are locked, sometimes they deliberate between themselves and then take action and other times I get a PM back saying... "that's fine though, Because X").

Now this thread is just becoming derailed from the OP question about banworthy non gaming words and has become about ban worthy insults to people such as "captain obvious" which .... obviously is an insult on the person making the post and has nothing to do with the post.

I'm not sure what is such a difficult concept in terms of being moderated on VGChartz, if you're having run ins with the Mods on a regular basis could I just suggest after you've drummed up a post in reply to someone (particularly if you are not a fan of that person, search your feelings, you know it to be true) then before clicking "Submit" instead, take 2 minutes to read your post, think to yourself is your post

1. directed at the person you are replying to, or at the content of the post you are replying to and

2. does your post come off as though it would insult or put the other person down, maybe just do a slight bit of editing to the post and remove things like "oh looky here, it's captain obvious" and replace it with a term like "Yeah, that's true, but it's a fairly well known fact already" Same message, less salt.

3. If your message can't be saved by editing to not clash with number 1 and 2, don't post it, just click the X at the tab and leave it off, the only way you can absolutely 100% for sure know you will not be moderated for a dickhead/insulting post is not to make it, remember that old phrase from your mum about if you don't have anything nice to say? Your mom was smart, she knew her stuff!

Edit - on saying all this, I hope it was clear that my first line was in fact a Joke, I do not wish pain on FunFan!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

If users react, mods will take action. It can be really hard for mods to notice all potentially insulting lingo and expressions in all the various discussions, it's even harder to see the subjective reception and response such things can get, that's why we have the report button.
Political discussion should not be exempt from the rules, it should be moderated along the lines of other discussion.
So, report these things, I use the report button quite often, probably at least once-twice every day.

Ganoncrotch said:

3. If your message can't be saved by editing to not clash with number 1 and 2, don't post it, just click the X at the tab and leave it off, the only way you can absolutely 100% for sure know you will not be moderated for a dickhead/insulting post is not to make it, remember that old phrase from your mum about if you don't have anything nice to say? Your mom was smart, she knew her stuff!

Oh my. Wow thats actually a great Idea. Is no wonder how you got away with that name. You are a master at this type of sleight of hand flame techniques. Now whenever I'm arguing with someone I'm gonna end it with that type of phrace for the extra salt. For example, I could end any argument with something like: "Do you realise that what you just said is nothing short of ridiculious? Your mom was smart, she knew her stuff!". Thanks for the idea and inspiration. 

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Yeah, ganoncrotch is right. This should have been in a PM to the head mods. You do have a good point though, hershel_layton.

Also, people are now pushing the topic towards mod criticism, which I simply don't have the time to deal with. So rather than answer every single problem that's in this thread, I ask you to PM me your questions rather than post them here.

Thanks.