By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - June 2016 NPD Results

So, it looks like there was a mistake with 3DS numbers, both in May and in June.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210466611&postcount=452

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210469485&postcount=455

...Apparently, 3DS is >72k in May, and >100k in June... 

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Wii U - 0.03
Yikes

At this rate I wonder if Nintendo will meet their 800k year forecast.

Simply... Do the maths!

800K/12=66.6k per month...Worldwide! ( April 16-March 17 )

USA            Japan  (rounded)

April 30k    28k

May 30k      16k

June 30k    18k

And a new splatoon bundle just was  released in Japan and seeing relative success...

Won't they meet it?

Actually, Nintendo's aim is pretty spot on or perhaps,  even somewhat conservative/underestimating.

( Well, the 800k is about shipments aim, while I put sales figures in the comparison, but of course they must be shipping wiius pro rata to what they sell! )

Ryng_Tolu, just to respond to what you said on GAF about "handheld consoles are still consoles"....

This is true, but according to NPD they are two very different things.

In the June 2016 NPD report, the vast majority of hardware revenue ($160.504 million) was from the five console systems that I posted (PS4 + XBO + WIU + 360 + PS3). Handheld hardware revenue comprised a tiny fraction of console revenue.

That's why I don't focus on that feed....they are two completely separate things both from my perspective and from NPD's perspective....and in general handheld is just a much smaller business than the console business, so it's less relevant.

Also, CosmicQueso just mentioned on NeoGAF that the previous assumptions 3DS <72K for May 2016 NPD and 3DS <100K for June 2016 NPD were incorrect.

Ergo, 3DS >72K for May 2016 and 3DS >100K for June 2016.

That should have been obvious, though.

Aquamarine said:

Ryng_Tolu, just to respond to what you said on GAF about "handheld consoles are still consoles"....

This is true, but according to NPD they are two very different things.

In the June 2016 NPD report, the vast majority of hardware revenue ($160.504 million) was from the five console systems that I posted (PS4 + XBO + WIU + 360 + PS3). Handheld hardware revenue was a tiny fraction of what console revenue was.

That's why I don't focus on that feed....they are two completely separate things both from my perspective and from NPD's perspective....and in general handheld is just a much smaller business than the console business, so it's less relevant.

Also, CosmicQueso just mentioned on NeoGAF that the previous assumptions 3DS <72K for May 2016 NPD and 3DS <100K for June 2016 NPD were incorrect.

Ergo, 3DS >72K for May 2016 and 3DS >100K for June 2016.

That should have been obvious, though.

Got it.

It's only that for me an handheld is a console, and when i saw that post i automatically thought he was talking about all 4 system...  thanks for clarify.

Aquamarine said:

In the June 2016 NPD report, the vast majority of hardware revenue ($160.504 million) was from the five console systems that I posted (PS4 + XBO + WIU + 360 + PS3). Handheld hardware revenue was a tiny fraction of what console revenue was.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But the total should be less than $190m right? 

Around the Network

Hey guys, wanna see something cool?

Take a look at this:

It's NPD data for June.....15 years ago, way back in 2001 when NPD still released weekly software and hardware data.

I love looking back through our old spreadsheets for NPD data. It's so cool to see how platforms performed back then.

Post this on GAF if you want. I know some of the older members there get a kick out of seeing old, accurate numbers.

Aquamarine said:

Take a look at this:

It's NPD data for June.....15 years ago, way back in 2001 when NPD still released weekly software and hardware data.

I love looking back through our old spreadsheets for NPD data. It's so cool to see how platforms performed back then.

Post this on GAF if you want. I know some of the older members there get a kick out of seeing old, accurate numbers.

Who! This was unexpect. very great, thanks.

Just regard my numbers archive, i have totally difference numbers for PS2 and GBA... :-/

I have PS2 at 344,000 and GBA at 880,000... i'm worry that all sales numbers i knew about gen 6 are totally off.

Aquamarine said:

Take a look at this:

Wow! This is really cool! The PS2 was doing so well back then but look at those GBA launch numbers.

I was only 16 back then so I wouldn't get my ps2 until a few years later.  Still rocking that psone though.  Great times.

Thanks for this and everything else you've posted here.

ZhugeEX said:
Aquamarine said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. But the total should be less than $190m right? 

Don't remember, I'll check.