Forums - Sales Discussion - June 2016 NPD Results

Intrinsic said:

Hmmm, XB1 was very close this month. Guess being $80 chesper than PS4 makes a difference. 20k gap is very impressive for the XB1.

I wouldn't call that impressive. Xbone is waaay cheaper for months now, better to say, since February and still didn't beat PS4. So much about impressive sales.

Around the Network

NPD: With digital sales increasing, we're very interested in having them in our software report.

Big Third Parties: We're interested in sharing our numbers because a lot of our PC sales are digital so they aren't reflected in the report. However, there's a catch...

NPD: What is it?

BTP: Indies and other small studios that primarily distribute their games digitally. Something must be done so those filthy outsiders cannot steal the top places our AAA games deserve.

NPD: OK, we understand. Does anybody have an idea to solve this?

EA: I have an idea. Change the software ranking criteria from units to revenue. Not only it solves the problem, it also hurts those pesky handheld games because they are cheaper.

Everybody: We love you, EA.

And that's what I think it happened.

Player2 said:

NPD: With digital sales increasing, we're very interested in having them in our software report.

Big Third Parties: We're interested in sharing our numbers because a lot of our PC sales are digital so they aren't reflected in the report. However, there's a catch...

NPD: What is it?

BTP: Indies and other small studios that primarily distribute their games digitally. Something must be done so those filthy outsiders cannot steal the top places our AAA games deserve.

NPD: OK, we understand. Does anybody have an idea to solve this?

EA: I have an idea. Change the software ranking criteria from units to revenue. Not only it solves the problem, it also hurts those pesky handheld games because they are cheaper.

Everybody: We love you, EA.

And that's what I think it happened.

That's probably exactly how it went down :(

Wait so mirrors edge sold over 91k digital since its above uc4 and we know uc4 did 190k with bundles?

jason1637 said:
Wait so mirrors edge sold over 91k digital since its above uc4 and we know uc4 did 190k with bundles?

The new Top 10 Physical + Digital chart doesn't include bundles. If you look it that way:

Mirror's Edge Physical Standalone Software Revenue + No bundles Revenue + Mirror's Edge Digital Software Revenue >>>>> Uncharted 4 Physical Standalone Software Revenue + No Bundle Revenue + No Digital Software Revenue

It's a biased comparison that's nonsensical in measuring actual game performance.

So now NPD charts are:

1) Revenue, not unit sales (so lower-selling $60 games like Mirror's Edge: Catalyst are skewed to be higher on the charts)

2) Only include digital sales from some publishers, excludes Bethesda, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Sega, etc.

3) Only include Steam + PSN + XBL digital sales, ignore all the other digital markets like Origin and Battle.net

4) No more console software rankings

5) Release a week later

6) Still don't include console bundles

In other words, they're completely fucking useless. NPD honestly shouldn't have even bothered. It shows how little they care about the public. My contact at NPD is just letting me share a few numbers as a personal favor. Outside of that....they just simply don't care.

Around the Network

This is a fucking disaster.

I can't believe how much secrecy there is to numbers in this industry. It's pathetic.

Carl2291 said:
This is a fucking disaster.

I can't believe how much secrecy there is to numbers in this industry. It's pathetic.

Honestly it's just because there is such low circulation of NPD numbers.

So few people actually subscribe to them in the world that it's really hard to find people who care enough to leak data.

And of course NPD is a monopoly so they don't have any pressure to share anything publicly.

Media Create ought to open a U.S. branch to track sales. Won't ever happen, but it's nice to dream.

I like ZhugeEX but what happened to boutros?

SWORDF1SH said:
I like ZhugeEX but what happened to boutros?

This time Boutros didn't made the thread because NPD got two reports, one last week and one now.

July and all others will back normal. xD

Anyway, thanks Zhuge for the thread!

2020 predictions: NSW 25m, PS5 6m, XSX 4.5m, PS4 11m, XB1 4m

In December 2019 i predicted 21m Switch, 9m PS4 and 3m XB1, but that was before COVID, obvius increased my predictions.