By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - June 2016 NPD Results

Ryng_Tolu said:
Just regard my numbers archive, i have totally difference numbers for PS2 and GBA... :-/

I have PS2 at 344,000 and GBA at 880,000... i'm worry that all sales numbers i knew about gen 6 is totally off.

Imagine you're waking up on July 2001. You're a big corporate institutional NPD client like JPMorgan. The NPD Group sends you weekly hardware data.

That's what this data is. It's the raw feed of what was originally published by NPD way back in 2001, 15 years ago.

You got those other numbers from second-hand sources. Lots of things could have happened to those numbers in 15 years.

This is the ORIGINAL NPD release.

Xeon said:
Aquamarine said:

Hey guys, wanna see something cool?

Take a look at this:

It's NPD data for June.....15 years ago, way back in 2001 when NPD still released weekly software and hardware data.

I love looking back through our old spreadsheets for NPD data. It's so cool to see how platforms performed back then.

Post this on GAF if you want. I know some of the older members there get a kick out of seeing old, accurate numbers.

Wow! This is really cool! The PS2 was doing so well back then but look at those GBA launch numbers.

I was only 16 back then so I wouldn't get my ps2 until a few years later.  Still rocking that psone though.  Great times.

Thanks for this and everything else you've posted here.

I have a lot of nostalgia from that era, too.

Life was just better back then.

Cheers, man.

Around the Network
Aquamarine said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
Just regard my numbers archive, i have totally difference numbers for PS2 and GBA... :-/

I have PS2 at 344,000 and GBA at 880,000... i'm worry that all sales numbers i knew about gen 6 is totally off.

Imagine you're waking up on July 2001. You're a big corporate institutional NPD client like JPMorgan. The NPD Group sends you weekly hardware data.

That's what this data is. It's the raw feed of what was originally published by NPD way back in 2001, 15 years ago.

You got those other numbers from second-hand sources. Lots of things could have happened to those numbers in 15 years.

This is the ORIGINAL NPD release.

I don't even can find the original post where i saw those numbers, btw i think Welfare, Zhuge and Shadow have the same data, i believe, i'll ask...

If possible, can you make a similar graph you made with gen 8, but with gen 6? That's could be really appreciated. :D

Aquamarine said:

Take a look at this:

It's NPD data for June.....15 years ago, way back in 2001 when NPD still released weekly software and hardware data.

I love looking back through our old spreadsheets for NPD data. It's so cool to see how platforms performed back then.

Post this on GAF if you want. I know some of the older members there get a kick out of seeing old, accurate numbers.

Pretty cool indeed. 

Especially to see how well PlayStation and Nintendo 64 were still doing in 2001. 

I have a question, if you don't mind me asking. 

With the upcoming release of the NES Mini, a plug and play console, I'd be interested in seeing some old data from the early 2000's when plug and play consoles were at their peak. Did the NPD Group ever provide data on these plug and play devices in their TRSTS? Or is there any other market research firm or source you're aware of that looked at this sector?

I'd also be interested to hear your reports on the announcement of the NES Mini and what sort of impact it could have.

Thanks in advance.  

Shadow1980 said:

Here's everything I have for the PS2 through 2008:

*chart*

And here's what I have for the GBA:

*chart*

Finally, here's everything I have for the other sixth-gen systems:

*chart*

How much of this is actually accurate? It's all stuff I've managed to grab off of the internet during my search for data for charts.

As expect, i have those exatly numbers...

Well, some times 1k difference but overall i have in my archive 99.9% of those numbers.

ZhugeEX said:
Aquamarine said:

Take a look at this:

Pretty cool indeed. 

Especially to see how well PlayStation and Nintendo 64 were still doing in 2001. 

I have a question, if you don't mind me asking. 

With the upcoming release of the NES Mini, a plug and play console, I'd be interested in seeing some old data from the early 2000's when plug and play consoles were at their peak. Did the NPD Group ever provide data on these plug and play devices in their TRSTS? Or is there any other market research firm or source you're aware of that looked at this sector?

I'd also be interested to hear your reports on the announcement of the NES Mini and what sort of impact it could have.

Thanks in advance.  

Plug-and-play consoles are considered toys, not video game consoles. So they're historically classified under NPD Funworld.

JPMorgan also gets toy feeds, though. We get literally everything NPD-wise.

For example (this is the only data I have on my computer right now while traveling):

2004 USA Toy Market Plug-and-Play Consoles:

Revenue Marketshare: 0.8% ($22.1 billion total)

Units: +209.9% YOY

Revenue: +310.6% YOY

ASP: +32.5% YOY

2005 USA Toy Market Plug-and-Play Consoles:

Revenue Marketshare: 1.1% ($21.3 billion total)

Units: +10.4% YOY

Revenue: +34.0% YOY

ASP: +21.4% YOY

2006 USA Toy Market Plug-and-Play Consoles:

Revenue Marketshare: 1.0% ($22.3 billion total)

Units: -7.5% YOY

Revenue: -8.2% YOY

ASP: -0.8% YOY

You can put my other posts in the OP if you want....the ones containing NPD insights, like the June 2001 post.

I'll talk about the NES Mini and other old data later.

Around the Network

Ryng, I'm on Halo 5 right now so I can't check my sheets. I will later though.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Welfare said:
Ryng, I'm on Halo 5 right now so I can't check my sheets. I will later though.

Got it

Surprised the gap between the PS4 and XB1 was so small, especially with the announcement of the XB1 slim.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

July prediction thread is up for who is interested.
This time i included the Aquamarine graph, just for have the thread more informative.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=218738

So has anyone got sales data up for Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games yet? I heard that it didn't do so well...