By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Sony or MS capable of creating a cultural phenomenon like Pokemon Go?

Are they?

No, only Nintendo with Pokemon. 328 78.47%

Yes, Sony with __________. 61 14.59%

Yes, Microsoft with____________. 29 6.94%

Total:418
potato_hamster said:
CGI-Quality said:

Don't you think you're being a little unreasonable with this one? He's merely asking a fair question, basing such an idea on the current situation.

Don't you think that a moderator, someone who is supposed to be fair and balanced, can't take a step back and take an objective point of view to realize that it totally isn't a fair question in any way?

This is utterly ridiculous.

If I made a thead that said "Poll: Are MS and Nintendo capable of making a video game experience as great as what Sony does with Playstation" I'd get absolutely thrashed for it and accused of being a fanboy. But Nintendo and it's fans get an exemption because apparently Nintendo is special.

The op did pose a fair question even if it wasn't worded that well and if we're talking just about mobile games. Neither Sony and Microsoft make any mobile games that I know of. Their IPs at present wouldn't really transition that well into a mobile game. They were never created for that. Pokemon is an IP that does work well with mobile but it was already a cultural phenomenon well before pokemon go. 

Both Sony and Microsoft completely capable of making a IP that's suited for mobile and did well if they wanted to. 

Around the Network
Nogamez said:
"Can Sony or Microsoft create a cultural phenomenon like pokemon go"? A: yes they already have with PS and Xbox.

With any of there current IPS? A: Yes, minecraft is a cultural phenomenon. Sony Nor so much but hey they have the strongest brand so....

Obviously you don't know what cultural phenomenon means! 

The news isn't reporting on Playstation and Xbox because of a single game being released... Minecraft is big but even it isn't on cultural phenomenon status. In all of Minecraft's success nobody has ever just stopped me on the street to ask if I've played Minecraft. Pokémon GO is getting people out of the house and talking to complete strangers, no game in recent memories has been on this level!

DannyDesario said:
Nintendo isn't capable of this on their own hardware, and Sony and M$ can't in general.

They had Wii Sports & Wii Fit hello... On Nintendo hardware 

Minecraft.

Minecraft is much bigger than pokemon Go
/thread, drop mike and walks away

OK you can argue microsoft didnt invent minecraft but then again Nintendo didnt invent pokemon go

Around the Network
David_Hernandeez said:

At least Sony tried it xD

Haha lol! XD 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Even with Minecraft, Viva Pinata and Halo I don't see making the same 'instant huge hit' as with Pokimon Go (They sure wanted Viva Pinata to do that.) But I don't see it lasting as long as those too either at it's huge popularity. They are more of a slow burn, while this is a flash.

Sony, they have some loyal fan IP's, but I can't think of something that appeals to everyone like Pokimon.

And remember when people said Nintendo was over when they were going to cell phones.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

The playstation itself is a cultural phenomenon. I imagine the Xbox is in the US. So, in a way, yes.

If you mean in software... well Gran turismo itself was and is a huge deal. Halo was a huge deal aswell.

I think this is a loaded question thinking of it. Sony and Microsdt don't make software for mobile apps that can reach the masses the same way.

They totally are. This game was not even made by Nintendo. Nor were the original Pokemon games for that matter.

edit - I should also mention that the game itself looks trash. If popularity were the only indicator of quality, Mcnuggets and a soft-serve vanilla glop would be far superior to a local 5 star steakhouse meal. But, of course, they aren't.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

GProgrammer said:
Minecraft is much bigger than pokemon Go
/thread, drop mike and walks away

OK you can argue microsoft didnt invent minecraft but then again Nintendo didnt invent pokemon go

I think Pokemon Go has the potential to surpass Minecraft. Pokemon Go is only out for a week, it likely has hundreds of millions of downloads ahead of it and I notice it is more of a craze with adults, whereas Minecraft was mostly a thing for kids/young teenagers.

Pokemon Go has been on CNN, I've heard it on radio, the local news, local police departments are issuing statements on Pokemon Go, Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Fallon mentioned it in their late night monologues this week, the mayor of Sao Paulo, Brazil is imploring Nintendo to bring the game to Brazil for the Olympics, it's all over the Facebook feed, it's on the news in Canada even though the game isn't even legally out here yet thousands of people of converging outdoors to play it ...

... this is huge. This is bigger than Minecraft in a lot of ways. 

Beyond that MS had nothing to do with the creation or popularization of Minecraft. They just bought the IP once it was well established. That's like a guy saying he's a smooth with the ladies because he paid $1000 to sleep with a hot prostitute. Anyone can throw money at something, they paid for that, they would have no idea how to create a "Minecraft" on their own. 

Nintendo financed and helped develop and basically handled all the marketing of the original Pokemon concept and they helped develop and spear-head Pokemon Go as well, Mr. Iwata got together with Niantic and with the Pokemon Company to bring this game to life two years ago apparently, so this has been in the brewing for a long time. 

For people who think it's so easy for Sony/MS ... note Square-Enix, Activision, Rockstar, EA, Sega are also on mobile and none of them have created an app anywhere close to Pokemon Go or Candy Crush or Angry Birds. Fact is apps that break out like this are exceptionally rare.