By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if Nintendos Next Handheld was a Smart Phone.

Depends, what operating system does it run, what hardware features does it have, how are the games monetised...

I think in the mobile space Nintendo are better off sticking to third party releases.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Barkley said:
Depends, what operating system does it run, what hardware features does it have, how are the games monetised...

I think in the mobile space Nintendo are better off sticking to third party releases.

Its own version of Android with its own exclusive Store Front.

Can it run every android app then? That's the only way I see it being a success, the other problem is not enough models. There is so much choice in the mobile market you can get exactly the phone you want and spend just as much as you want to. Would people be willing to compromise and choose the Nintendo Phone when one of the 1000's of other current phone models suits them much better.

Also even if the Nintendo Software is exclusive to the Nintendo Phone, it's still running android. I'd think it wouldn't be long before people get Nintendo's games running on other android devices.

Wouldn't work because Samsung and Apple have the market cornered.

A smart phone isn't a "New Concept" and Sony is already making phones so Nintendo wouldn't want to withold NX from E3 to prevent Sony from making a Smartphone.

But to play along, it would need to run a proprietary OS, as an Android OS screams piracy to Nintendo, so right there they're sunk. But to keep going, it'd have to have physical buttons for Zelda : Breath of the Wild, and motion sensing technology or buttons for Just Dance, it'd have to be able to run Unreal Engine 4 as Dragon Quest XI was rumored for NX,

The same issues that would plague the NX are what's plaguing Mittomo right now. People already have smartphones, good ones at that. They have apps on those devices that have all their info on it. Nintendo would just come out with a Dual Core 1.4GHZ, 4GB Storage, 2GB RAM, 3G smartphone and bomb once again.

Nah, that would be a horrible idea. No one wants to own another phone just to download some Nintendo games. And before that, even, they're competing with Apple and Samsung in the industry. So it's safe to say that it wouldn't really get them anywhere.

bet: lost

Around the Network

Also people generally demand "premium" hardware and it comes to phones. Not something that Nintendo is known for.

Neh. Nintendo has a history of choosing eh worthy hardware so as a premium whore like me, I will probably continue to go with a Galaxy S.

With that being said, if their smartphone targets the mid-ranged market, I can see it work provided they make a case or something with buttons bundled with it. Having say their eshop with exclusives + library from Google's play store would be raeep

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Nikkei did say NX would run on Android. Nikkei is almost always right even when Nintendo denies their reports.

IMO they are right (mostly) but it will be a custom version of Android with Nintendo's own storefront so they can control it.

I don't think it would be a phone though, it could just be like a tablet/mini-tablet. Runs NX games, VC games, Android apps (as selected by Nintendo).

If they came out with a phone that had physical buttons, and was in line with the power of high end smart phones, then I would be all over it.

Gaming phones have absolutely no presence in the mobile space. I would pay $1500, if I could get a PS Vita with Phone and 256GB of on board storage. If Nintendo can fill that void, I woulf have no problem doing the same for them.

iOS and Android have killed mobile gaming. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft need to take their gaming experience into the mobile space with actual gaming based mobile devices. We need an option in the world of me too mobile devices. A place where real devs and publishers can put out high quality content with rock solid interfaces.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Bad idea.