By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Go Success Shows That Nintendo Should Go Full Mobile and call Quits on Consoles/Handhelds!

Why don't they just include google play on their handhelds?

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Barkley said:

When the "advertisements" start bringing in more money then the product they are supposedly advertising I wouldn't say it is marketing anymore. It seems very likely that Pokemon Go will bring in more revenue then any game in the history of Nintendo.

If Nintendo handles it's mobile market well, with the strong brands under it's belt I expect Nintendo's Mobile Earnings to quickly overtake the rest of their business combined in the coming years.

Wich only would mean that the company is expanding, there is no need to kill a division as long as is profitable just because other one is more, specially when both divisions make each other stronger.

Yeah I agree, as long as the NX doesn't underperform their dedicated business isn't going anywhere, even if mobile becomes their primary source of revenue. Which I fully expect it will.

Nintendo had a revenue of $4.5 Billion last year, If the figures about Pokemon Go are correct and it doesn't pass as a fad then Pokemon Go will bring in $584 Million revenue in a year in the US ALONE.

Random_Matt said:
Why don't they just include google play on their handhelds?

Because they'd have to run Android on their Handhelds, and if they did that their own games would have to run on Android, and if they did that people would be able to get them running on other Android Devices no problem, and if that happened then what's the point in Nintendo even making that handheld.

Unless they did some weird dualbooting thing which would be a collosal pain in the ass.

Aquamarine said:
hershel_layton said:
People don't realize that this is their way of advertisements and marketing.

Nintendo needs to have a unique mobile and physical combo to stay relevant. Sony is sony, so it doesn't need anything else. As for Microsoft they went the console and PC route.

If nintendo does this well, they can have a great generation with the nx.

Kimishima is a finance guy. He was chosen as Nintendo's CEO because he's really good at making companies more efficient.

NX is the chance to show Kimishima that consoles / handhelds still have a place in the modern-day market. If it flops with tepid third-party support and flatlined sell-through, it's going to get cut.

We hear Nintendo management talk recently about how the company has "continually evolved" over its lifetime. That means they're thinking about what's next beyond consoles and beyond handhelds. Sure, they're still dedicated for now (aka. they think the Wii U was a fluke and the product of strategic error that can be remedied), but another total failure will have Kimishima try out other avenues instead.

This is of course related to their success on mobile. Miitomo is meeting expectations, and Pokemon Go is an explosive success. The more successful Nintendo is in their mobile sphere, the less likely they'll plan future corporate strategy around traditional handhelds / consoles.

So the new president is a needed refreshment for Nintendo?

I wonder where nintendo would be at had they had him as president from the end of gen 7. He did say he disliked the wii u, but never stayed what he'd do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Aquamarine said:
hershel_layton said:
People don't realize that this is their way of advertisements and marketing.

Nintendo needs to have a unique mobile and physical combo to stay relevant. Sony is sony, so it doesn't need anything else. As for Microsoft they went the console and PC route.

If nintendo does this well, they can have a great generation with the nx.

Kimishima is a finance guy. He was chosen as Nintendo's CEO because he's really good at making companies more efficient.

NX is the chance to show Kimishima that consoles / handhelds still have a place in the modern-day market. If it flops with tepid third-party support and flatlined sell-through, it's going to get cut.

We hear Nintendo management talk recently about how the company has "continually evolved" over its lifetime. That means they're thinking about what's next beyond consoles and beyond handhelds. Sure, they're still dedicated for now (aka. they think the Wii U was a fluke and the product of strategic error that can be remedied), but another total failure will have Kimishima try out other avenues instead.

This is of course related to their success on mobile. Miitomo is meeting expectations, and Pokemon Go is an explosive success. The more successful Nintendo is in their mobile sphere, the less likely they'll plan future corporate strategy around traditional handhelds / consoles.

Agree 100% with this.

Around the Network

Definitely would be better for every gamer out there if they went 3rd party. I don't really care how much it helps them. Why not do something out of the good in their hearts?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

We should wait and see how long the success of Pkmn Go lasts. If it doesn't last long I don't see them shifting to just short term profits from mobile games.

I seel shoes and make a small profit, but a profit nonteless.
I also make hats and make a big profit.

Why should i stop making shoes?

The fact that the game hasn't even been out for a week and this thread exists tells me people need to settle down and stop jumping to conclusions. This is a shallow ios game. It's going to have to stay on top for a very long time before we know for sure if it's comparable to real Pokemon games.

After a few months, if it's still doing this well, then we can have this discussion. Right now, it's labeled as a flash in the pan/fad.

lol its just damage control by people who hate it when Nintendo shines. There are people who are begging... BEGGING for Nintendo to go 3rd party so they will finally have something to play. That is all this really is.