By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Go Success Shows That Nintendo Should Go Full Mobile and call Quits on Consoles/Handhelds!

Kai_Mao said:
potato_hamster said:

Here's what people continue to fail to understand - it's not about not losing money at all. It's about maximizing profit. If it is more profitable to pour all of its resources into mobile games and making their games on other platforms, Nintendo will do that. If its more profitable to pour 50% of its resources into mobile games and 50% into classic Nintendo hardware and games, then Nintendo will do just that.

Nintendo will literally do whatever they think will generate the most profit for the company long term. They are beholden to shareholders to do that. Nintendo isn't about pride. It isn't about integrity, or making fun games for good prices that its fan will love., its about making as much money as possible for the company, and that is it.

If someone turns around tomorrow and offers Nintendo $100 Billion for all the Super Mario IP, Nintendo will sell it in a heartbeat.

It's the same reason why Crash Bandicoot is no longer a Sony IP. Sony felt when they sold the IP that it would be more profitable long term to sell the IP than to keep him in their stable. Because money. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If that was the case, should have they jumped ship when the GameCube was not selling well? Yes, the times were different, but the PS2 sold really, really well and people thought Nintendo should've gone third party then.

And haven't anyone tried to offer billions for the Mario IP? Wonder how that went..

These are different times. Nintendo has already confirmed that their biggest userbase is not on a Nintendo platform. That was not the case 10 years ago when they had a stranglehold on mobile gaming. Clearly they have lost that. The prospect of not making their own hardware and instead going third party has never been more lucrative or tempting.

Around the Network

With Ninty abandoning portables and all that market, although smaller than in its golden age, available for Sony, maybe we could eventually see a PSV2.
And if they dropped home consoles too, who knows, maybe a XBOne Two too!

Well, now I know who's actually spreading this idea.

Well played Kaz and Nadella!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Nintendo has tons of leverage right now if they wanted they could have Sony and MS jumping through hoops for their services. I said it in the other thread but if I'm Nintendo I don't even consider anything unless the deal is ridiculously favorable.

First I would give NX a chance to do its thing. If it doesn't look so hot THEN,

I'd seek out support for ONE of MS or Sony, not both, and I would pit them against each other in a bidding war. The terms are

- You give us 30% of all third party licensing fees.
- We get to make our own Nintendo branded PS or XB with its own controller.
- You pay us X-amount every year for free advertising
- We pay zero or almost zero in licensing fees to you.

- You have to support our portable console if we choose to continue making them.

In exchange you get our IP on your system.

If the answer is no, we go take meetings with Apple and Google and Samsung about making a console platform with them and see how you like competing against them.

IMO Microsoft would take that deal right now if offered, Sony would likely also strongly consider it especially because I don't think they want any part of competing against the above three.

Nintendo is stubborn and they are in a considerably better position than Sega ever was especially now that their stock is soaring and Pokemon Go has shown how valuable their IP can be. I don't see them accepting any thing short of a monstrous deal.

Pokemon didnt do crap to move consoles in the 90's and 00's, look at the n64 and gcn for proof. So no it doesnt help consoles. 

No, it shows Nintendo is still sitting on a gold mine with Pokemon but need to find newer and more exciting games to take the franchise in. Aside from the whole "free factor" of Go, the other reason it's huge is because it's somethign new with a franchise there is still a lot of deep rooted love for. I LOVE the main games, but the fact is the formula has been kinda stale for awhile. Now more than ever is the time for that home console Pokemon MMORPG on NX.

Just as I predicted last year when everything looked doom and gloom for Nintendo, this year has already taken HUGE strides towards improving Nintendo's rep in the industry. First we have Breath of the Wild totally dominating E3 and enamoring virtually everyone that played it, and now we have Pokemon resurging in a huge way. And even if Go isn't directly tied to Nintendo, it still casts a huge favorable light on them as evidenced by the stocks. Now that they have built some legitmate goodwill this year for maybe the first year all decade, it's the last time they need to be thinking about abandoning the console/handheld market. The door is open for NX to really turn things around assuming they don't screw it up like the Wii U launch. 

Around the Network
contestgamer said:

Pokemon didnt do crap to move consoles in the 90's and 00's, look at the n64 and gcn for proof. So no it doesnt help consoles. 

........ Really?I mean, you dont even know that the main games are on the portables and that the console ones were spin-offs?That Pokemon made Game Boy sell what it sold, and also helped move the other portables?I mean, ignorance is one thing, this bashing is in another level....

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Soundwave said:

I think they will give NX all their effort, but we're witnessing a seismic shift in Nintendo's history (and as such in gaming history as a whole), mobile in now going to be a key pillar of their business if not flat out their main pillar.

No way would Pokemon Go have even 1/20th of this reach if it was just a $40 3DS game.

There are kinda two ways this could go

1.) Because mobile is so successful, NX and any other Nintendo hardware merely needs to do "OK" on the market, Nintendo platforms become basically low cost Nintendo-centric platforms maybe where you can also play Android/iOS apps too. Nintendo having their own hardware allows their IP to retain a certain "special" status and allow them to focus their fanbase on certain new IP (like say Splatoon). 

or

2.) Nintendo's investors seeing that Nintendo is doing gangbusters on non-Nintendo platforms like iOS and Android may feel that limiting Nintendo IP to Nintendo hardware is limiting their profit potential and may push for broader multi-platform usage of their IP to the widest audience possible. 

I could see either happening. 

3) You being wrong and delusional as usual.

When you got games like Pokemon, MK8, Super Smash, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Monster Hunter that are still selling quite well. And you got like Splatoon, Fire Emblem and Yokai watch that are getting really popular and have a bright future.

Why would someone stop all of this?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

One game was extremely successful, beyond expectations. Let's just throw away all the work, time and money not only spent on NX but spent on a complete re-branding and direction change and go full mobile.

No. Not happening.