By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Go Success Shows That Nintendo Should Go Full Mobile and call Quits on Consoles/Handhelds!

So why ps4 owner need Nintendo games on ps4? Because ps4 games are not good enough?

Around the Network

They should really quit consoles tho.

I'm now filled with determination.

The "all or nothing" attitude is ignorant. The success of Pokemon Go just means Nintendo needs to invest a bit more or have a dedicated mobile division, just as they have an intentionally "separate" Pokemon company. Branching out is good... added exposure, to attract some of these people back to investing in Nintendo hardware, is good. Doesn't mean it should be all mobile though, they offer a different experience and it serves Nintendo best to be in every possible market.

Mar1217 said:
thatguymarco said:

No.

Yeh.

thatguymarco said:

For now, I disagree. I would like to see how the NX does first.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Kai_Mao said:
People who want Nintendo to go third party or spread their IPs to other platforms out of the goodness of their hearts is like saying Sony should just sell the PS4 for $100 or for free out of the goodness of their hearts. They're a business first and foremost. If Nintendo feels like they can maintain control of their IPs and showcase them in a variety of ways (the freedom that they may or may not have if they go third party) through their dedicated platforms then why not? They've emphasized on software and hardware intertwining with each other. As of now, we don't know how Pkmn Go will fare long term. It's a wait and see thing for now.

And here you arre acting like Nintendo is making their own platform out of the goodness of their hearts. If they continue to have large success on mobile platforms, Nintendo might be better off spreading their IPs to other platforms rather than make their own because of profit. They're a publicly traded company. They have shareholders they are beholden to.  Period.

If it makes more financial sense (especially long term) to make PS5, XB2, and mobile games than to make their own hardware, that is likely the direction they will take. If it makes more financail sense to keep making their own hardware they will. It all comes down to dollars and sense. Nothing more, nothing less.

But right now, it's not like they're losing money in their handheld/console business, just not profiting enough to be satisfied. At this point, they can't do much with the Wii U and the 3DS is doing all it can to maintain some sort of consistency. This, they're moving towards the NX. What's wrong with having multiple divisions within their business surrounding their core business? Mobile, theme parks, movies, merchandise, amiibo, etc. have a job in exposing the brand while Nintendo continued their console business. Allowing Nintendo to be a multi-media business could serve them well in the long run. I mean, we've seen concerts feat. the Squid Sisters (which did show in Europe just recently) and a Kirby restaurant just recently along with Pokemon Go and Miitomo. Again, we'll see, but Nintendo is also about pride and wanting to integrate hardware with software. That's why they're trying to be aware of how mobile works and how the apps can help others invest in their own hardware. If Sony and Microsoft are multi-media businesses with dedicated hardware, why can't Nintendo be as well (not to their extent but enough to expand their IPs to broader horizons)?

Mr.GameCrazy said:
thatguymarco said:

I think that Ninty is really on a harsh situation right now, and the only 2 ways out of it that I can see happening is if either the NX is an overwhelming success, or a complete failure, since both of those would make Nintendo consider some serious changes, but if the NX is a WiiU-level failure with just enough sales to keeping them from waking up and seeing that it's not okay to be like that, then I'm afraid that Nintendo will continue to be in its perpetual cycle of mediocrity till the day it dies.

thatguymarco said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

I think that Ninty is really on a harsh situation right now, and the only 2 ways out of it that I can see happening is if either the NX is an overwhelming success, or a complete failure, since both of those would make Nintendo consider some serious changes, but if the NX is a WiiU-level failure with just enough sales to keeping them from waking up and seeing that it's not okay to be like that, then I'm afraid that Nintendo will continue to be in its perpetual cycle of mediocrity till the day it dies.

If they're crying ... they're crying all the way to the bank. NX in a way has less and more pressure. Less in the sense that it doesn't really need to carry Nintendo fiancially, since Nintendo is likely going to make a fortune off smartphones games. More pressure though to justify the need for dedicated Nintendo hardware. 

SpokenTruth said:
Guess I'll keep posting it until everybody understands.

Nintendo revenue last fiscal year (ended March 31st, 216) = ~$4.9 billion USD.

Pokemon Go daily revenue estimate = $1.6 million.

x 365 days = $584 million (if usage never drops). Nintendo will get ~10% (directly) + ~9% (Pokemon Company) = 19% of $584 million = ~$111 million.

~$4.9 billion > ~$111 million.

In other words, it would take 44 mobile hits equivalent to Pokemon Go every single year to replace their current business model.

Pokemon Go is just at the beginning of its tail cycle though, it's not even released in many major markets worldwide, also the take home revenue on mobile once the game is developed is almost pure profit whereas physical goods like game hardware have a much, much lower profit margin while they have high revenue. 

Pokemon Go I think the potential to get to Candy Crush sized numbers of 500 million (half a billion!) installs. Maybe even less at 350-400 million would still be enormous. 

Also Nintendo will get a bigger cut of future titles as for sure now they know to self-publish all their mobile games (they don't need Niantic to do that) and their own IP like Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem and (gulp) perhaps Mario Kart ... they fully own all those IP. 

Revenue is not what drives business models anyway .... profit does. 5 million Wii Us sold at $300 a pop is over $150 billion in revenue, but only likely $50-$100 million in profit.

agreed. NX will be doa. Nintendo's future is mobile.