By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Go Success Shows That Nintendo Should Go Full Mobile and call Quits on Consoles/Handhelds!

Jranation said:
KLAMarine said:
That's silly. Just because one division is more profitable than another doesn't mean the less profitable division should be given up on. The less profitable division is still profitable.

Perfect! 

Isn't that like with Sony and their Smartphones? Isn't that getting rekt by Apple and Samsung the same way X1 and PS4 wrecking the Wii U? 

I'd argue it's more like just because Sony makes the majority of its money on selling insurance, it doesn't mean it should stop its film business. When a division is actually costing you money is when you ultimately give up on it after trying to salvage it.

Around the Network
Jranation said:
How do these people expect me to play Spla2oon on a smartphone? The gamepad gyroscope was awesome!

How about Super Smash! Playing with 8 friends on a giant screen! Same with those party games!

I bet if they go full mobile they would still get hate.

You'll play those on mobile and like it

Ljink96 said:
No, they shouldn't. They've sold more hardware than Microsoft and Sony this generation across both platforms. That my friends is no lie. The 3DS has outsold many of Nintendo's greatest successes.

This generation is over for Nintendo, it's far from over for Microsoft and Sony. The PS4 will outsell the 3ds+WiiU combined easily... Bit of a silly statement.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo's next handheld will sell less than the 3ds as I think the decline in the dedicated handheld market is a very real thing, NX will outperform the WiiU though.

"Pokemon Go Success Shows That Nintendo Should Go Full Mobile and call Quits on Consoles/Handhelds!"

Wrong.

NX performance should be the benchmark on whether or not Nintendo should keep their console / handheld business.

If NX turns out to be another catastrophic failure like the Wii U, then we can reexamine this argument.

People don't realize that this is their way of advertisements and marketing.

Nintendo needs to have a unique mobile and physical combo to stay relevant. Sony is sony, so it doesn't need anything else. As for Microsoft they went the console and PC route.

If nintendo does this well, they can have a great generation with the nx.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:

When the "advertisements" start bringing in more money then the product they are supposedly advertising I wouldn't say it is marketing anymore. It seems very likely that Pokemon Go will bring in more revenue then any game in the history of Nintendo.

If Nintendo handles it's mobile market well, with the strong brands under it's belt I expect Nintendo's Mobile Earnings to quickly overtake the rest of their business combined in the coming years.

Barkley said:
hershel_layton said:

When the "advertisements" start bringing in more money then the product they are supposedly advertising I wouldn't say it is marketing anymore. It seems very likely that Pokemon Go will bring in more revenue then any game in the history of Nintendo.

If Nintendo handles it's mobile market well, with the strong brands under it's belt I expect Nintendo's Mobile Earnings to quickly overtake the rest of their business combined in the coming years.

Wich only would mean that the company is expanding, there is no need to kill a division as long as is profitable just because other one is more, specially when both divisions make each other stronger.

Barkley said:
hershel_layton said:

You know this can still be considered marketing. Just because mobile gets huge cash, doesn't mean the actual titles are useless.

Then again, this can be a backup plan for Nintendo. If all goes wrong with the NX , they can easily just continue making games as a third party company and release mobile titles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:

Nintendo needs to have a unique mobile and physical combo to stay relevant. Sony is sony, so it doesn't need anything else. As for Microsoft they went the console and PC route.

If nintendo does this well, they can have a great generation with the nx.

Kimishima is a finance guy. He was chosen as Nintendo's CEO because he's really good at making companies more efficient.

NX is the chance to show Kimishima that consoles / handhelds still have a place in the modern-day market. If it flops with tepid third-party support and flatlined sell-through, it's going to get cut.

We hear Nintendo management talk recently about how the company has "continually evolved" over its lifetime. That means they're thinking about what's next beyond consoles and beyond handhelds. Sure, they're still dedicated for now (aka. they think the Wii U was a fluke and the product of strategic error that can be remedied), but another total failure will have Kimishima try out other avenues instead.

This is of course related to their success on mobile. Miitomo is meeting expectations, and Pokemon Go is an explosive success. The more successful Nintendo is in their mobile sphere, the less likely they'll plan future corporate strategy around traditional handhelds / consoles.

Barkley said:
Ljink96 said:
No, they shouldn't. They've sold more hardware than Microsoft and Sony this generation across both platforms. That my friends is no lie. The 3DS has outsold many of Nintendo's greatest successes.

This generation is over for Nintendo, it's far from over for Microsoft and Sony. The PS4 will outsell the 3ds+WiiU combined easily... Bit of a silly statement.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo's next handheld will sell less than the 3ds as I think the decline in the dedicated handheld market is a very real thing, NX will outperform the WiiU though.

My statement wasn't made to see who could outsell whoever. It was made to cement the fact that Nintendo still has a place in the market. 73 Million units of hardware isn't anything to sneeze at and gives no reason to exit an entire market. Especially if you're still profitable. That's all that really matters.And I think my statement is the truth rather than silly. it can be prooven as of now. I know PS and Vita will eventaully do better than 73 Million but you can't say my statement is silly

Besides PS4 will be 4 years old in November. It has sold 41 million. With the best situation, it'll do another 41 million by 2021. 8 years on the market. Which isn't bad, it's better than Wii U or 3DS or Xb will ever hope for but it's no different from the PS3 compared to 8 years on the market.

Anyway, to take attention away from PS and XB on a Ninendo thread so I don't get banned, Anyway, I don't think Nintendo will have another handheld as we see it. the DS line is getting played out and Nintendo said NX is something new. So I wouldn't downplay NX just yet. I simply don't think NX will be hardware as we know it. It won't be 4DS or Wii U 2. So who knows how it would sell. We're talking numbers as of now.