By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Go Success Shows That Nintendo Should Go Full Mobile and call Quits on Consoles/Handhelds!

Aquamarine said:
BraLoD said:

OT: even as there is no reason to call quit on anything, Nintendo should really go third party, that's way more profitable for them, and Nintendo has several old and very know IPs that are still going to sell everywhere, changing Nintendo to be an open platform rather than an exclusive one is the best way to go, so having their games on consoles, pc, mobile, is the best thing they could do, Nintendo has no need to keep on the hardware development (which doesn't mean they should quit), but there is just no need for it, Nintendo games can and would sell everywhere, and that would save Nintendo any need to push hardware research technology, marketing, distribution, network, which they have been doing poorly and others have been doing better since long ago.

While MS is pushing gaming for consoles and PCs and Sony is pushing PlayStation as a whole envyronment (console family, network, renting/streaming, tv, music, virtual reality), Nintendo shouldn't really keep holding their own strong points just for the sake of holding it, but go and make use of it, as it gladly is starting to do even if some people that support them are so defensive about it and can't look foward, as now that they have a huge hit on mobiles, it's okay, but when people started saying (and even now) that's what they should do it's attack them, they just want what's ours, they want Nintendo to fail, they want to downplay Nintendo, can't stand Nintendo... ffs, how much stupidity.

Nintendo has only to win to open themselves, unlike any other, and there is no need to quit anything, just expand their own field to reach, which was just getting more and more limited, but will gladly start to widen again now.

But heh, I must be just another Nintendo hater and want to watch them burn, so I and everyone else with anything to say about it have to be a shameful hater that needs to be show how spiteful we are about Nintendo success and need to be attacked...

I wonder who really doesn't care about Nintendo success and just their personal bias...

Please look at this quote from Dan Adelman who was an employee of Nintendo of America:

"Nintendo is not only a Japanese company, it is a Kyoto-based company. For people who aren’t familiar, Kyoto-based are to Japanese companies as Japanese companies are to US companies. They’re very traditional, and very focused on hierarchy and group decision making. Unfortunately, that creates a culture where everyone is an advisor and no one is a decision maker – but almost everyone has veto power.

Even Mr. Iwata is often loathe to make a decision that will alienate one of the executives in Japan, so to get anything done, it requires laying a lot of groundwork: talking to the different groups, securing their buy-in, and using that buy-in to get others on board. At the subsidiary level, this is even more pronounced, since people have to go through this process first at NOA or NOE (or sometimes both) and then all over again with headquarters. All of this is not necessarily a bad thing, though it can be very inefficient and time consuming. The biggest risk is that at any step in that process, if someone flat out says no, the proposal is as good as dead. So in general, bolder ideas don’t get through the process unless they originate at the top.

There are two other problems that come to mind. First, at the risk of sounding ageist, because of the hierarchical nature of Japanese companies, it winds up being that the most senior executives at the company cut their teeth during NES and Super NES days and do not really understand modern gaming, so adopting things like online gaming, account systems, friends lists, as well as understanding the rise of PC gaming has been very slow. Ideas often get shut down prematurely just because some people with the power to veto an idea simply don’t understand it.

The last problem is that there is very little reason to try and push these ideas. Risk taking is generally not really rewarded. Long-term loyalty is ultimately what gets rewarded, so the easiest path is simply to stay the course. I’d love to see Nintendo make a more concerted effort to encourage people at all levels of the company to feel empowered to push through ambitious proposals, and then get rewarded for doing so."

Think about Nintendo for a second. They have been producing consoles and handhelds since 1983. That's 33 years of consoles and handhelds. The old guard at Nintendo who still wield significant influence over the company....their entire careers have been defined by these consoles and handhelds.

It's very hard to convince everyone in a company like that to just give up their entire livelihood in one fell swoop.

That's why the NX exists. It's a test to either reaffirm Nintendo's commitment to dedicated hardware, or act as the evidence that will finally convince everyone to fully embrace a new direction.

Given Nintendo's unique corporate structure and history, the NX is the only logical route management can take. It's the boldest route they can take to changing their company. Expecting anything more out of Nintendo at this juncture is completely ignorant to how they operate.

Nintendo can be stubborn, but there is another undeniable truth .... once they get a taste of big money, they always follow. 

If Nintendo IP on iOS/Android become a success beyond even what most people expected ... it is a game changer for their board of directors and the shareholders will be all over them to let that drive more and more of their business. 

I said it pretty much a year ago ... Nintendo has the ability to become the biggest smartphone game company in the world. Their IP catalog is that big, and the confines of mobile favor them *a lot*. There's a lot of casuals (well all the casuals) there and kids and look at the smartphone market ... all/most of the big games are all cartoony games, this is really from a money perspective a match made in heaven for Nintendo. 

The console market is the one that's changed to be more about high end graphics, violent action games, and sports sims ... none of which Nintendo does particularily well. 

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Ljink96 said:
No, they shouldn't. They've sold more hardware than Microsoft and Sony this generation across both platforms. That my friends is no lie. The 3DS has outsold many of Nintendo's greatest successes.

This generation is over for Nintendo, it's far from over for Microsoft and Sony. The PS4 will outsell the 3ds+WiiU combined easily... Bit of a silly statement.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo's next handheld will sell less than the 3ds as I think the decline in the dedicated handheld market is a very real thing, NX will outperform the WiiU though.

funny talk about the handheld market declining when the Xboxone (the next biggest competitor on the market besides the PS4) will likely nowhere near reach 3DS sales numbers.

the 3DS is by and large the second best selling system this gen. and its still selling pretty well weekly. Nintendo is still very relevant on the console market, and just because the Wii U was poorly thought out doesn't change that. I love Nintendo but I don't have my own Wii U because I don't like the design and tablet controller. simple as that. If they took such a big mistep to push off big N fans like me then it's really not that complicated to do better next gen, go back to the basics

they should go full mobile and thrid party.
people care for nintendo ips and games
they don't care for nintendo consoles and platforms

and yes this is little hyperbole, but still there is sooo mutch truth in it
but this will not happen (near term future) because of the stuff aquamarine said

It's just desperation.

At this point, they FINALLY realized that nintendo don't need to put their dedicated games on other devices to have success. Now with the mobile games, this is a far long distant dream.

Their hopes are now to Nintendo releasing ALL their games on mobile and quitting console business, so they don't have to buy their HW. They don't even care how much it would sacrifice to them playing with only touch controls. smh

The best thing we can do is ignore these posts.

We reap what we sow

Calling quits would be stupid. But not going full on mobile would also be stupid. They need to throw everything they got at mobile and make that cash. they can milk one last gen of consoles but mobile third party is the future.

Around the Network

I could see them leaving home consoles but definitely not handhelds. I only say this because home console games are huge investments and more risky.

There is really a ton of people interested on gettin Nintendo out of the competition, is such an impredictible company than you never know when they will dethrone the king and that produces a lot of fear.

But is not gonna happen anytime soon, in fact, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will not be the first of the big 3 leaving the console business.

Quite honestly, people are just overexcited. We will see if it sticks after the initial craze.

My opinion is that it's interesting for a while, but it isn't a very good game. The fights are a joke. So, i'm not sure it will hold people's atention for very long.

This thread though... jebus.

Nem said:
Quite honestly, people are just overexcited. We will see if it sticks after the initial craze.

My opinion is that it's interesting for a while, but it isn't a very good game. The fights are a joke. So, i'm not sure it will hold people's atention for very long.

It's the definition of an ios/android game. It's a low/no upfront cost, shallow game that lacks all the depth of the real thing on dedicated hardware. After a couple weeks, the casuals will have moved on to the next thing and the core will be bored.

Sun and Moon can't get here soon enough lol