By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry takes a closer look at Breath of the Wild

Pavolink said:
Nuvendil said:

From a gameplay perspective, yes it matters.  Wind effects fire propogation and gliding.  So being able to easily see how it is moving through dry grass for example is influencial. 

However, I would say such environmental details in sound and animation are absolutely crucial to the games aesthetic tone.  What they have shown and described is a desolate, melancholy setting atmosphere.  They want you to feel like you are wondering the ruins of a once great kingdom now overgrown.  As such, there's not as dense an NPC or animal population as in, say, Skyrim.  There are NPCs, animals, and towns (all those have been confirmed), but there's a major focus on the land and environment themselves.  What the small details like the abundance of ambient sounds and wind effects on grass and trees accomplishes is a sense of energy and life in the world without NPCs.  Most games like Skyrim use creatures and characters and other NPCs to create a lively world.  Take away those aspects and the environment is really quite static and lifeless.  Breath of the Wild, not so.  They are going for a world that feels alive and breathing even though empty.  For that purpose, those minor details of environmental interaction and motion are very important. 

Good job. Now you hyped me even more... You are cruel ;-;

I'm...Sorry? I increase your suffering D:

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

I don't even know how is possible this game can run in WiiU, huge achievement right there.

And God, this game looks so good, my hype levels are insane, I have to stop watching videos about it.

Would you have believed it was possible on the PS3?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

tolu619 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I don't even know how is possible this game can run in WiiU, huge achievement right there.

And God, this game looks so good, my hype levels are insane, I have to stop watching videos about it.

No, I don't, because it isn't, looks like is already using all resources from the hardware.

Goodnightmoon said:
tolu619 said:

No, I don't, because it isn't, looks like is already using all resources from the hardware.

Just to remember... the "all resources" is like a myth, most games on a platform use all resources, but few use it the best way.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Just to remember... the "all resources" is like a myth, most games on a platform use all resources, but few use it the best way.

All the resources in the best way Nintendo could possibly do it on a machine they know better than anyone.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
DonFerrari said:

All the resources in the best way Nintendo could possibly do it on a machine they know better than anyone.

Yes I know what you wanted to say, was just joking around because we were hearing a lot of those "this game uses 100% of PS3 CPU" and the like...

But yes Zelda will probably be the best use of WiiU capacities.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Most likely, seeing as it will be the last Wii U game that strives to push the platform, and is the culimination of many years of extensive experience with the hardware.

It's been a long road for Nintendo from this:

To this:

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Most likely, seeing as it will be the last Wii U game that strives to push the platform, and is the culimination of many years of extensive experience with the hardware.

To this:

A long road but a surprisingly smooth one.  The one benefit of the Wii on visual tech for Nintendo is that it did alow them to ease in to HD and also let them get the "brown with bloom" phase out of their system before making the jump.  I mean, you look at Skyward Sword and you can definitely see they were well positioned for the jump and had figured out a lot of things others struggled on when jumping to HD (foliage, most notably).

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

To this:

A long road but a surprisingly smooth one.  The one benefit of the Wii on visual tech for Nintendo is that it did alow them to ease in to HD and also let them get the "brown with bloom" phase out of their system before making the jump.  I mean, you look at Skyward Sword and you can definitely see they were well positioned for the jump and had figured out a lot of things others struggled on when jumping to HD (foliage, most notably).

It's true they made the transition more gracefully than a lot of other developers, but you can still see quite a noticeable progression from launch titles like New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendoland, to midlife titles like Maro Kart 8 and Captain Toad, and finally Breath of the Wild.

curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

It's true they made the transition more gracefully than a lot of other developers, but you can still see quite a noticeable progression from launch titles like New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendoland, to midlife titles like Maro Kart 8 and Captain Toad, and finally Breath of the Wild.

Oh definitely.  But that they had something as gorgeous as Rainbow Road 64 and Bowser's Castle in Mario Kart 8 just one and a half years after the launch of the system is impressive.  But yeah, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Breath of the wild really show how far they came in a fairly short span.   Also they show how ridiculous the people saying Nintendo doesn't need more powerful hardware are.  Nintendo'stuff been squirming within the confines of the Wii U since 2014.