By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry takes a closer look at Breath of the Wild

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Same could say for Animal Crossing, its not about what makes Metroid great, its about to use Metroid name to sell some fast spinoff currently, not because they don't know what is Metroid Prime, its their IP and they made Metroid Trilogy, of course they know what makes Metroid Prime, it would be very naive to think otherwise.

They knew what made Metroid great ten years ago, sure, but do they still know? Nothing they've done since 2007 indicates they still do.

The idea they don't when the vast majority of people involved back then are still alive and working there seems more unlikely.  Especially since Nintendo is more or less pretending Other M never happened, rarely mentioning it and not ever discussing it with regards to what they want to do with the main Metroids.  

Edit:  ugh, the autocorrect on this new phone is so darn retarded

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

They knew what made Metroid great ten years ago, sure, but do they still know? Nothing they've done since 2007 indicates they still do.

The idea they don't when the vast majority of people involved back then are still alive and working there seems more unlikely.  Especially since Nintendo is more or less pretending Other Media never happened, rarely mentioning it and not ever discussing it with regards to what they want to do with the main Metroids.  

It's entirely possible for a company to drift away from and lose track of what made a series great to begin with, we've seen this with other franchises in the past. Resident Evil comes to mind.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Same could say for Animal Crossing, its not about what makes Metroid great, its about to use Metroid name to sell some fast spinoff currently, not because they don't know what is Metroid Prime, its their IP and they made Metroid Trilogy, of course they know what makes Metroid Prime, it would be very naive to think otherwise.

Why they wouldnt know!?

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Why they wouldnt know!?

See my response to Nuvendil above.

To bring it back to the original topic though, I suppose we should be thankful that Zelda does not seem to be such a franchise, as Breath of the Wild seems to do a superb job of branching out into fresh new territory without losing any of what made the series great.

GOWTLOZ said:
Goodnightmoon said:

What is yours for saying the opposite? 

Mine is my eyes and a good memory, because most people seem to have a terrible amnesia when it comes to remember graphics of last gen games, the only open world game that cames remotely close to this one in Ps360 is GTAV, the most expensive game ever, and yet, it doesn't look as good as this on those consoles and it runs at 20fps half of the time, hopefully this will have a mostly stable framerate in release. Tachikoma made an analysis about XCX and she concluded that the game was not possible on Ps360 at least without making remarkable downgrades in some areas. This looks better than XCX and has a way more complex Physics sytem and AI so that makes me think this would not be possible on ps360. 

GTA V on PS3 runs between 25-30 fps and looks really amazing. With cel-shaded graphics a lot less details are required, you can play Borderlands 2 and it looks impressive on PS3 while being open-world.

Also GTA V's world is more dense with a lot more NPC's and structures than Breath of the Wild.

Goodnightmoon said:

Like 99% of games today, but then they would look much worse and the comparison makes little to no sense, I find impressive that the game as it is and it looks right now is able to run in the WiiU, I'm talking about the actual game as it is, not about a heavily downgrade version of it.

And when WiiU is running some games that ps360 would not be able to run without remarkable downgrades because they are more demanding is pretty logic that it would be able to run any ps360 game, included tlou, because they aren't that demanding.

Wii U will be able to run TLOU, yes, because its on the same ballpark as a PS3.

But TLOU isn't the best game to bring up because there are more impressive looking games on PS3, such as God of War III, Ascension and GTA V. These games still look like a current gen game.

Wii U isn't on the same balpark as ps3. Wii U is way above ps3, deal with it.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Considering we had Skyrim, GTA V on PS360 I see little reason to say Zelda wouldn't be possible on then. And the bigger evidence that it would be possible is that WiiU isn't really stronger than any of them.

Wii U is stronger than PS3/360. Not by leaps and bounds, not even by much, but it is stronger. It has twice as much RAM and a more modern GPU. To get Breath of the Wild running on PS360, you would have to significantly reduce its memory footprint and likely reduce/simplify some of its effects. Sure, you could get a downgraded version running on PS3/360, but you could get a downgraded version of Uncharted 4 on PS3/360 if you made enough concessions.

Wii U is a lot stronger than ps360.

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Wii U is stronger than PS3/360. Not by leaps and bounds, not even by much, but it is stronger. It has twice as much RAM and a more modern GPU. To get Breath of the Wild running on PS360, you would have to significantly reduce its memory footprint and likely reduce/simplify some of its effects. Sure, you could get a downgraded version running on PS3/360, but you could get a downgraded version of Uncharted 4 on PS3/360 if you made enough concessions.

It's possible some downgrades would be necessary, but I would bet that if in the hands of SSM or ND they would be able to produce basically the same product with those differences not being very perceptible. And a lot of games were sub 720p on PS360 so it wouldn't look out of place.

Major downgrades would be necessary for a ps360 to run any game made for wii u in mind, especially breath of the wild, wich is pushing the system a lot.

Teeqoz said:
Hynad said:

Skyrim and GTAV one PS3 and 360 aren't in the same ballpark as BOTW. It would have to run at sub 720p, with maybe a low setting FXAA if at all, much less individual grass strands, much more pop-ins/weaker draw distance, and who knows what would happen to the physics. xD Skyrim and GTA V both didn't have physics as intricate as what's found in BOTW, and that is pretty CPU intensive. Let's not mention how all of it would perform. Skyrim wasn't much of an example for that, and GTA V struggles quite a bit at times, while Nintendo games are always great performers. 

If there's anything from BoTW that the PS360 wouldn't struggle with, it would be the physics. Especially the PS3 has a powerful as fuck CPU. iirc, it beats the PS4 and XBO's CPUs. Only problem is that it's hard to optimize for. GTAV and Skyrim are bad examples, because they are multiplats, and thus haven't gotten the same attention and optimization as BoTW has gotten by virtue of being an exclusive. (I mean, Bethesda is notoriously shit at optimization, the early PS3 version is infamous for it).

I doubt the PS360 could run BoTW with the exact same visual fidelity as the Wii U, but I also doubt they would have to reduce visual fidelity as much as you make it seem here. It would probably be plagued by pop-in though, because the one place where the Wii U is substantially ahead of the PS360 is in the amount (and perhaps speed?) of the RAM.

ps360 would struggle with everything about BOTW and would need huge downgrades.