By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry takes a closer look at Breath of the Wild

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

One not good game (Other M), does not mean series need to die or that next one will be same. Federation Force doesnt have anything with Metroid Prime, it a just spin off for 3DS, it same like you would say Animal Crossing need to die because Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festivals.

It's one thing for a game to suck, but for both Other M and Federation Force to run so completely contrary to what made the franchise great suggests that Nintendo simply no longer knows what to do with it. It's been so long since Nintendo created anything in vein of classic Metroid that I simply no longer see any evidence that they even know how any more.

No evidence Nintendo knew how to make a shooter before Splatoon.  It's not hard to believe they know how.  It's harder to believe everyone who does just disappeared.  Also, they've made multiple non-Metroid Metroid spinoff before.  Hunters was only Metroid in name being extremely linear and shooting focused and then there was pinball.  Honestly, Federation Force isn't worth the uproar, it's just I'll timed and has a bland art style.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

One not good game (Other M), does not mean series need to die or that next one will be same. Federation Force doesnt have anything with Metroid Prime, it a just spin off for 3DS, it same like you would say Animal Crossing need to die because Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festivals.

It's one thing for a game to suck, but for both Other M and Federation Force to run so completely contrary to what made the franchise great suggests that Nintendo simply no longer knows what to do with it. It's been so long since Nintendo created anything in vein of classic Metroid that I simply no longer see any evidence that they even know how any more.

Curl, I think you're overreacting here. I really like Other M, but even assuming it's bad...why does one poor mainline outing and a team-based shooter with a Metroid skin invalidate the series moving forward. The last two attempts at 2D Metroidvanias were brilliant, and Retro turned in a first-person trilogy for the ages.

There's no reason to think Nintendo and/or Retro can't strike gold again.

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

No evidence Nintendo knew how to make a shooter before Splatoon.  It's not hard to believe they know how.  It's harder to believe everyone who does just disappeared.  Also, they've made multiple non-Metroid Metroid spinoff before.  Hunters was only Metroid in name being extremely linear and shooting focused and then there was pinball.  Honestly, Federation Force isn't worth the uproar, it's just I'll timed and has a bland art style.

Hunters I will actually defend; it's no masterpiece but it at least looked and felt like Metroid. 

The thing with Metroid is its hallmarks are the polar opposite of modern Nintendo; it's dark, it's creepy, it has high end graphics, it's everything that current gen Nintendo typically shuns. At this point it's just so far outside of all that they represent that its just foreign to them.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

So one Metroid Prime that isn't good and Nintendo doesn't to make do with it!?

Like I wrote, Federation Force isn't Metroid Prime game, it just a fast port for handheld, we already have some quite similar projects this gen from Nintendo but that doesn't have anything with core of that IP.

It's very obvious they didn't spend game of scale of Metroid Prime on Wii U.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Like I wrote, Federation Force isn't Metroid Prime game, it just a fast port for handheld, we already have some quite similar projects this gen from Nintendo but that doesn't have anything with core franchise.

I don't consider it a Metroid Prime game either, but the worrying part to me is that Nintendo saw fit to attach the Metroid Prime name to Federation Force. Which suggests that they themselves don't understand what makes Metroid great any more.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Nuvendil said:

Hunters I will actually defend; it's no masterpiece but it at least looked and felt like Metroid. 

The thing with Metroid is its hallmarks are the polar opposite of modern Nintendo; it's dark, it's creepy, it has high end graphics, it's everything that current gen Nintendo typically shuns. At this point it's just so far outside of all that they represent that its just foreign to them.

I'll gI've you the look but not the feel.  Hunters was a shooter in a Metroid skin, simple as that.  And imo had absolutely horrid controls but that's the hardware's fault.

And I think that second paragraph is a pretty big exageration.  Nintendo just published another Fatal Frame, a franchise that should have died based on sales ages ago.  Xenoblade Chronicles X is both graphically very accomplished and a serious, often grim game.  The new Zelda may be colorful but it's tone is looking quite melancholic and as this thread has discussed is also technically well accomplished.  And of course Nintendo picked up Bayonetta 2 and worked with Ubi to have ZombiU at launch.  Just saying, great graphics have been pretty common with Nintendo this gen and they clearly have no qualms with serious tones.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Like I wrote, Federation Force isn't Metroid Prime game, it just a fast port for handheld, we already have some quite similar projects this gen from Nintendo but that doesn't have anything with core franchise.

I don't consider it a Metroid Prime game either, but the worrying part to me is that Nintendo saw fit to attach the Metroid Prime name to Federation Force. Which suggests that they themselves don't understand what makes Metroid great any more.

You mean like attaching it to a Pinball game :P

Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

I'll gI've you the look but not the feel.  Hunters was a shooter in a Metroid skin, simple as that.  And imo had absolutely horrid controls but that's the hardware'store fault.

And I think that second paragraph is a pretty big exageration.  Nintendo just published another Fatal Frame, a franchise that should have died based on sales ages ago.  Xenoblade Chronicles X is both graphically very accomplished and a serious, often grim game.  The new Zelda may be colorful but it's tone is looking quite melancholic and as this thread has discussed is also technically well accomplished.  And of course Nintendo picked up Bayonetta 2 and worked with Ubi to have ZombiU at launch.  Just saying, great graphics have been pretty common with Nintendo this gen and they clearly have no qualms with serious tones.

Nintendo have shown they're happy to publish darker games, but outside of the Xenoblade games they haven't made one since... well, since Metroid Prime 3. Nine years ago.

curl-6 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Same could say for Animal Crossing, its not about what makes Metroid great, its about to use Metroid name to sell some fast spinoff currently, not because they don't know what is Metroid Prime, its their IP and they made Metroid Trilogy, of course they know what makes Metroid Prime, it would be very naive to think otherwise.

Miyamotoo said:
curl-6 said:

Same could say for Animal Crossing, its not about what makes Metroid great, its about to use Metroid name to sell some fast spinoff currently, not because they don't know what is Metroid Prime, its their IP and they made Metroid Trilogy, of course they know what makes Metroid Prime, it would be very naive to think otherwise.

They knew what made Metroid great ten years ago, sure, but do they still know? Nothing they've done since 2007 indicates they still do.