By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: PS4 version of Rise of the Tombraider is not canceled

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Lol no no no!  Their XB1 audience would have been small.  We've seen it with all the big franchises 360 vs ps3 does not equal x1 vs PS4. A huge number of 360 converts have switched to ps4. Thats why titles like far cry sold x3 better on ps4 but not last gen. 

Tomb raider last gen was already ps3 biased so this gen would have been a slaughter.  They damaged the biggest part of their fanbase.  Whereas SFV damaged a small part of theirs. 

SE dun goofed. 

Its funny, you paint a picture of doom for Tomb Raider, but you dont acknowledge SFV has done significantly worse.

Which gets back to a point I made before. Timed exclusivity isnt gonna hurt RotTR like mediocrity hurt SFV.

You are wrong.  Timed exclusivity will hurt ROTTR because it would have sold a shit ton on ps4.  Mediocrity did hurt SFV a lot more than exclusivity did and I've always argued that.  You're finally agreeing. 

Funny you now suddenly don't think exclusivity hurt SFV. That's what you and others were arguing in the SFV vs TR thread.  Make your mind up because I've stayed consistent with my arguments. 

Around the Network
-Ack!- said:
Kerotan said:

I'm saying the damage done to the ip from going partially exclusive. 

I was replying to both you and Puggsly and I'm with you on this one.

Everyone is shouting how fighting games are dead or PS users don't support SFV, imo only a fool would support an unfinished product marketed as an early release.

All I'm saying is that it's not a fair comparison, imagine if they only gave you RotTR multiplayer and promised that the single player campaign would come in 4-5 months then it would be a fair comparison, oh and both games would have to launch feb-may. Imagine this scenario, then compare.

It's not even about the quality of the content, it's the lack of content that murdered SFV sales.

Agree 100%. Well said 

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Its funny, you paint a picture of doom for Tomb Raider, but you dont acknowledge SFV has done significantly worse.

Which gets back to a point I made before. Timed exclusivity isnt gonna hurt RotTR like mediocrity hurt SFV.

You are wrong.  Timed exclusivity will hurt ROTTR because it would have sold a shit ton on ps4.  Mediocrity did hurt SFV a lot more than exclusivity did and I've always argued that.  You're finally agreeing. 

Funny you now suddenly don't think exclusivity hurt SFV. That's what you and others were arguing in the SFV vs TR thread.  Make your mind up because I've stayed consistent with my arguments. 

Its strange, you say I'm wrong but you agree wtih SFV being in a worse position. I feel like that's saying I'm right.

I feel the exclusivity SFV has hurts the IP because millions of X1 might have played it eventually (just like millions have or will play MKX and KI). Millions of people will play RotTR on PS4, the TR IP benefits from that in the long run.

My arguments have been consistent.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

-Ack!- said:

It's not even about the quality of the content, it's the lack of content that murdered SFV sales.

The amount of content is a reflection of the product.

MKX isn't my favorite fighter, but there was so much to do that I got a lot of value out of it. Between story, endings for each character, and other modes to mix up gameplay.

Hence, the lack of content made SFV a medicore product even if the actual gameplay is better than something like MKX.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Its strange, you say I'm wrong but you agree wtih SFV being in a worse position. I feel like that's saying I'm right.

I feel the exclusivity SFV has hurts the IP because millions of X1 might have played it eventually (just like millions have or will play MKX and KI). Millions of people will play RotTR on PS4, the TR IP benefits from that in the long run.

My arguments have been consistent.

Lol do you not think what you say through?  If SFV has sold less than a million on PS4 because the game let itself down why would it suddenly sell well on X1? It would have sold a fraction of the ps4 version just like nearly all multiplatform games do. 

TR is heavily ps biased compared to xbox so it would obviously have sold a shit load more.  

Ps4 version of ROTTR >>>>>>>> X1 SFV 

Exclusivity is damaging RROTR because they fucked over their biggest player.  

It's pretty obvious. 

Around the Network

1.7 million sales (and that's probably higher) is low sales? What were you expecting?

If it's cancelled, odds are Enix simply didn't want to bother with porting a game that sold modestly and they had a nice enough run as it is. Porting it and hoping it will sell more might not be worth the hassle...

It will come to PS4. That is a no brainer especially considering it will be easy money given the big bag of money they got from Microsoft prior.

I have a feeling a soft release is still coming. Honestly, I think the reboot is a wash altogether though. And that's too bad, because I really enjoyed it. I think Lara still had a place in AAA gaming.

"Just in from Crystal:

Q: Has the Rise of the Tomb Raider PlayStation 4 version been cancelled?
A: As stated previously, Rise of the Tomb Raider's PlayStation 4 release is set for Holiday 2016."

Mr Puggsly said:
-Ack!- said:

The amount of content is a reflection of the product.

MKX isn't my favorite fighter, but there was so much to do that I got a lot of value out of it. Between story, endings for each character, and other modes to mix up gameplay.

Hence, the lack of content made SFV a medicore product even if the actual gameplay is better than something like MKX.

I think there is a difference between quality and quantity, and it's pretty obvious that SFV is just not worth the money they are asking whether it's good, bad, or something in-between.

I just don't see how you can call it mediocre based on value, does it suddenly become a good game when the price drops to 10-15 Euros/Dollars? =D