By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix: PS4 version of Rise of the Tombraider is not canceled

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Its strange, you say I'm wrong but you agree wtih SFV being in a worse position. I feel like that's saying I'm right.

I feel the exclusivity SFV has hurts the IP because millions of X1 might have played it eventually (just like millions have or will play MKX and KI). Millions of people will play RotTR on PS4, the TR IP benefits from that in the long run.

My arguments have been consistent.

Lol do you not think what you say through?  If SFV has sold less than a million on PS4 because the game let itself down why would it suddenly sell well on X1? It would have sold a fraction of the ps4 version just like nearly all multiplatform games do. 

TR is heavily ps biased compared to xbox so it would obviously have sold a shit load more.  

Ps4 version of ROTTR >>>>>>>> X1 SFV 

Exclusivity is damaging RROTR because they fucked over their biggest player.  

It's pretty obvious. 

I think exclusive deals are bad for both IPs. But RotTR is in better position because PS4 fans will have it. Meanwhile millions of X1 fans will never play SFV.

Frankly, I don't care if you disagree as you can see my opinions aren't gonna change.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
-Ack!- said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The amount of content is a reflection of the product.

MKX isn't my favorite fighter, but there was so much to do that I got a lot of value out of it. Between story, endings for each character, and other modes to mix up gameplay.

Hence, the lack of content made SFV a medicore product even if the actual gameplay is better than something like MKX.

I think there is a difference between quality and quantity, and it's pretty obvious that SFV is just not worth the money they are asking whether it's good, bad, or something in-between.

I just don't see how you can call it mediocre based on value, does it suddenly become a good game when the price drops to 10-15 Euros/Dollars? =D

Even for $20 its an underhwhelming product due to the lack of content.

The gameplay itself isn't a far cry from SFIV. So mostly recycled gameplay needs other content to keep it interesting.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Barkley said:
"Just in from Crystal:

Q: Has the Rise of the Tomb Raider PlayStation 4 version been cancelled?
A: As stated previously, Rise of the Tomb Raider's PlayStation 4 release is set for Holiday 2016."

LOL they never learn. It won't chart. Holiday 2016, jeeeez. Only new release games with major franchise power have a chance to do well in that timeframe for the most part. Dropping an old-news game in the maelstrom of CoDs/BF1/etc is a GREAT idea. It's almost like they want it to fail.

Arkaign said:
Barkley said:
"Just in from Crystal:

A: As stated previously, Rise of the Tomb Raider's PlayStation 4 release is set for Holiday 2016."

LOL they never learn. It won't chart. Holiday 2016, jeeeez. Only new release games with major franchise power have a chance to do well in that timeframe for the most part. Dropping an old-news game in the maelstrom of CoDs/BF1/etc is a GREAT idea. It's almost like they want it to fail.

To be fair, I imagine the deal they agreed to with Microsoft was for RotTR to be a one year exclusive. Since it released in November last year, they likely have no choice but to release it in November this year. I'm sure they would rather release it in August or September, but they probably aren't allowed to.

Arkaign said:
Barkley said:
"Just in from Crystal:

Not to mention Square Enix already has a lot of games coming out from September through December:

September 30 - FFXV
October 11 - Dragon Quest Builders
October 25 - World of Final Fantasy
December - Kingdom Hearts 2.8

And there's a possibility of Dragon Quest Heroes II coming out this year, too. Honestly, I think SE should just delay PS4 ROTR to January 2017.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Lol do you not think what you say through?  If SFV has sold less than a million on PS4 because the game let itself down why would it suddenly sell well on X1? It would have sold a fraction of the ps4 version just like nearly all multiplatform games do. 

TR is heavily ps biased compared to xbox so it would obviously have sold a shit load more.  

Ps4 version of ROTTR >>>>>>>> X1 SFV 

Exclusivity is damaging RROTR because they fucked over their biggest player.  

It's pretty obvious. 

I think exclusive deals are bad for both IPs. But RotTR is in better position because PS4 fans will have it. Meanwhile millions of X1 fans will never play SFV.

Frankly, I don't care if you disagree as you can see my opinions aren't gonna change.

"millions" of Xbox fans were never going to play SFV anyway.  It would have sold a third of the ps4 version.  

ROTTR was going to sell double on ps4 as it did on X1 but it will sell far less then that now.  A lot more lost sales.

But I'm Glad you admit the exclusivity is bad for ROTTR because I've been saying it's been a bad move for the IP all along.  :)

update, Square Enix reconfirms the PS4 version

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=152129&page=2

Mr Puggsly said:
-Ack!- said:

I think there is a difference between quality and quantity, and it's pretty obvious that SFV is just not worth the money they are asking whether it's good, bad, or something in-between.

I just don't see how you can call it mediocre based on value, does it suddenly become a good game when the price drops to 10-15 Euros/Dollars? =D

Even for $20 its an underhwhelming product due to the lack of content.

The gameplay itself isn't a far cry from SFIV. So mostly recycled gameplay needs other content to keep it interesting.

So it's a mediocre game and a cash grab.

Ruler said:

To be more specific:

A: As stated previously, Rise of the Tomb Raider's PlayStation 4 release is set for Holiday 2016.

Ruler said:

There was never any doubt.  

Although they will be lower they need those additional ps4 sales.  too much money to throw away.