By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phill Spencer Denies Rumors of Xbox Brand Leaving the Console Market!

Soundwave said:
Nintendo should've just signed a deal with Microsoft in the early 2000s to use Windows CE or whatever in Nintendo console's. Would've saved them from having to compete in an over crowded market.

What does that have to do with this thread?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

Really after they announced two new consoles? Haha talk about dense.
Xbox hardware will no longer be required when PCs become the norm in the living room.

Nobody can leave the living room period... Desktop PCs are dying and not coming back... So no they are not leaving the console business... Now they might try to fundamentally morph it into an hybrid like they did between the tablet and laptop with the surface pro...

One day we'll have powerfull XBox one (the original concept everybody hated) acting like a home server pretty much handling every multi media task in the house... And supporting one way or the other all your devices on the go... And that's gonne be the same for google, sony, amazon, apple etc...

Nobody in the tech world is ever leaving the living room without dying in the customer market... So unless MS goes BtoB inly it ain't happening

KungKras said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Here's the real question, do you think they're going to make a TV media device?

That's what Xbox really is, its their successful way into the living room. Five years from now I anticipate a newer Xbox One.

Remember that the Xbox was a reaction to Ken Kutaragis plan to take over the living room with the Playstation platform and eventually disrupt Microsoft's PC OS business. Sony doesn't have this as their console strategy anymore so Microsoft doesn't have to "take over the living room" anymore. Smartphones and tablets are a much bigger threat to Microsoft right now, so that's where they are going to put all their effort.

I think they might use the Xbox to make windows 10 media PCs to compete against smart TVs.

smartphone and tablets in there current form are quite obsolete it's a matured market with very few and minor improvement lately... It needs a rebirth....

IMO the next big thing is home servers/cloud... Where people have mini super computers that take care of everything tech related... Diminishing the need of powerful multiple devices.... Just one super computers and many terminals talking to each other... With possibility to share compute power creating local clouds

The "always on" fiasco was the beginning of the end. Xbix One losing all its exclusives to PC was another step in this process.

Xbox Scorpion is like a quite powerful PC in a box. And since Xbox got rid of all its exclusives to PC, Scorpion is gonna fail in sales against Sony.

Gradually in 2017, Microsoft will cancel games it thinks have low chance to become profitable. This has the effect that gamers really can see how the Xbox console exclusive lineup of games is much smaller than Sony's. This is talked about lot in E3 2017.

The key next step towards Microsoft leaving the business is when it becomes clear that all the Xbox Windows PC games (the PC versions of Qunatum Breaks, Scalebound, Gears of War 4, Halo 6, Forza Horizons 3 etc) have failed because PC gamers dislike the Windows store. The MS PC games strategy has zero chance to succeed if they don't put the games on Steam. But that on the other hand would cut all the profits from the PC games and there wouldn't be any platform. So Microsoft is in a roch and a hard place.

At that point, when at the same time, now we're in 2018, Xbox is being outsold 3 to 1 by Sony in the console market, Microsoft will realize it's a lost cause and the Xbox brand will be sold for cheap to another company. This could happen already in 2018. After this there is total collaps. Selling a console just doesn't work. The aura of negativity and failure is too strong and gamers will feel it. The other company realizes that there's nothing to do, Xbox Scorpion sales just keep declining, so they will cease supporting the platform, terminate all remaining games in developent and within another 1- 1.5 years, that should be the year 2019, it's all declared dead.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

The "always on" fiasco was the beginning of the end. Xbix One losing all its exclusives to PC was another step in this process.

Xbox Scorpion is like a quite powerful PC in a box. And since Xbox got rid of all its exclusives to PC, Scorpion is gonna fail in sales against Sony.

Gradually in 2017, Microsoft will cancel games it thinks have low chance to become profitable. This has the effect that gamers really can see how the Xbox console exclusive lineup of games is much smaller than Sony's. This is talked about lot in E3 2017.

The key next step towards Microsoft leaving the business is when it becomes clear that all the Xbox Windows PC games (the PC versions of Qunatum Breaks, Scalebound, Gears of War 4, Halo 6, Forza Horizons 3 etc) have failed because PC gamers dislike the Windows store. The MS PC games strategy has zero chance to succeed if they don't put the games on Steam. But that on the other hand would cut all the profits from the PC games and there wouldn't be any platform. So Microsoft is in a roch and a hard place.

At that point, when at the same time, now we're in 2018, Xbox is being outsold 3 to 1 by Sony in the console market, Microsoft will realize it's a lost cause and the Xbox brand will be sold for cheap to another company. This could happen already in 2018. After this there is total collaps. Selling a console just doesn't work. The aura of negativity and failure is too strong and gamers will feel it. The other company realizes that there's nothing to do, Xbox Scorpion sales just keep declining, so they will cease supporting the platform, terminate all remaining games in developent and within another 1- 1.5 years, that should be the year 2019, it's all declared dead.

Why someone would purchase the Xbox Brand ?, the brand is damaged and already made a lot of mistakes like Rod, the 2013 E3, now all exclusives coming for PC, I think that if a company would want to enter the console market they would have more chances of Success if they make their own console.

Swordmasterman said:

Why someone would purchase the Xbox Brand ?, the brand is damaged and already made a lot of mistakes like Rod, the 2013 E3, now all exclusives coming for PC, I think that if a company would want to enter the console market they would have more chances of Success if they make their own console.

Damaged brand is not the same as a finished brand, just saying. One could say PS3, especially during its first years, was a big taint on the Playstation's name, but it didn't sway PS4's success, did it? A brand new Xbox console doesn't have to endure the same fate the Xbox One has (and that's including the fact that it's selling better than the 360 during the same timeframe, though that will end sooner or later).

It's far easier entering a competitive market acquiring an existing, recognizable brand than creating one from the scratch. Sure there's risks associated with either scenario, but it is how it is.

BasilZero said:

Thats right, Sonic sales are booming indeed....

Everytime SEGA is brought up people can only point out to Sonic failure, ignoring the success of almost everything else SEGA has made. I don't care if Sonic failed (I was never a fan of that mascot to be honest), it is undeniable that SEGA is producing quality software right now. Just like everyone else, they have the right to produce some crappy games from time to time.

Wright said:
BasilZero said:

Thats right, Sonic sales are booming indeed....

Everytime SEGA is brought up people can only point out to Sonic failure, ignoring the success of almost everything else SEGA has made. I don't care if Sonic failed (I was never a fan of that mascot to be honest), it is undeniable that SEGA is producing quality software right now. Just like everyone else, they have the right to produce some crappy games from time to time.

Actually, Sonic is easy to bring up because it was the only thing that WAS remotely successful Sega did. Everything else WAS garbage :)

Naufraguito said:
think-man said:

I dunno what people said in the first generation, im just calling it how I see it.

And you can't see nothing to learn of those who were wrong before you? 

Is it me or are people twisting what people have said. I haven't really seen anybody state that they are getting rid of Xbox. The majority of people believe that MS are going to go more PC (which doesn't mean they will stop making hardware). Nobody is claiming they are going to leave the gaming market and if there are people saying  that they are it's a very small percentage.