By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo64 turns 20 today

Mbolibombo said:
Miyamotoo said:

OK for you, but lets be realistic for second, generation in which we had: Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina Of Time (M64 and Zelda OoT are both considered like one of best and most influenced games ever), Golden Eye 007, Banjo Kazzoie, Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros 64...Metal Gear Solid, FFVII, Tomb Raider I/II, Resident Evil I/II, Silent Hill, Crash Bandicot, Twisted Metal 2...definatly golden age of console gaming.

realistically I could name just as many  great games from every generation but the current. The generation is romanticized by people who grew up with that generation, just as two generations earlier are the same for me.

I really can't see from what generation you can name games that are stronger than Zelda OoT, M64, FFVII and Metal Gear Solid for instance. Those game made standards for whole gaming industry and they are considered for best games ever, you really can't say that any generations had so many revolutionary games.

Around the Network

-Banjo Kazooie biger game ever . oohhhh memories

Never had an N64, but I'm making up for it with my Wii U virtual console.

Holy crap, I'm getting old!

I still remember how I paid 64 DM (the glorious Deutsche Mark!) for my pre-order. But it released in march 1997 over her in germany. And it only had 2 launch titles! Yes, two! I always laugh at people who get mad when some new console has only like 20 or 30 launch titles. Always brings back memories of the N64 launch when I only had the choice between Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. (Though I've heard there were more games in other countries...)

Didn't bother me though, because Mario 64 was so goddamn good that I didn't need another game for at least a year. Overall I loved the N64, so many great games throughout the years. Goldeneye is still the best shooter ever imo. I also didn't have a PlayStation, so I missed a lot of things. But I managed to pick up Resident Evil 2 when I was on vacation in Austria. That sucker of a game did cost me a whopping 180 DM, but it was absolutely worth it! It had all the FMVs and everything and the graphics were even better than on PlayStation! I still don't know which kind of black magic was needed for Capcom to fit a game with two discs on one N64 module. But it worked! ^^

Oh, and of course there were the Aki Wrestling games! Pure gold, still better than each and every WWE game releasing today.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Miyamotoo said:
Mbolibombo said:

realistically I could name just as many  great games from every generation but the current. The generation is romanticized by people who grew up with that generation, just as two generations earlier are the same for me.

I really can't see from what generation you can name games that are stronger than Zelda OoT, M64, FFVII and Metal Gear Solid for instance. Those game made standards for whole gaming industry and they are considered for best games ever, you really can't say that any generations had so many revolutionary games.

Since I dont even think those games are the strongest in their respective franchise, I have no problems naming better games than them. I do give them cred for bringing the 3D revolution to life though. (Altp, Mario Galaxy 2, FFIV, Metal Gear II are the ones I consider stronger games)

I cant say that other revolutionary games true, but I can without a doubt say several other generations had more quality games. Surely we arent going anywhere with this conversation but back and forth though since you obviously are a huge fan and I am not =) But still, fun having the discussion hehe

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Biggest N64 memory....

....THQ wrestling games! The WCW vs nWo games were so much fun but when they got licenced to WWF I was blown away! Awesome game to play with a group of friends and the customization and rosters were great.

Yes! World Tour and Revenge are sooo good. Probably the best wrestling games I've played.

KungKras said:

Man I'm getting old.

Where do I start. figuring something out in Zelda and immediately calling all my friends who are stuck in the same place to tell them about it.

Getting called by a friend who figured something out in Zelda.

Hooking up two transfer paks to the console and playing my gameboy pokemon team vs a friend's team in pokemon stadium.

Ruining stick after stick on Smash Bros playing with friends.

Co-Op in Perfect Dark.

The best console FPS multiplayer ever in Turok Rage Wars. Oh god shit got crazy in that game.

I can go on and on. My favourite system of all time. I can also mention that I grew up in Sweden where Nintendo won over the PS1. Nearly all my friends had an N64.

Rage Wars! So much fun. I miss those N64 Turok games.

Ruler said:
playing the most decent port of Hexen

I thought I was the only one who owned Hexen for N64! 

Mbolibombo said:
Miyamotoo said:

Since I dont even think those games are the strongest in their respective franchise, I have no problems naming better games than them. I do give them cred for bringing the 3D revolution to life though. (Altp, Mario Galaxy 2, FFIV, Metal Gear II are the ones I consider stronger games)

I cant say that other revolutionary games true, but I can without a doubt say several other generations had more quality games. Surely we arent going anywhere with this conversation but back and forth though since you obviously are a huge fan and I am not =) But still, fun having the discussion hehe

You dont think they are strongest games in series, but they are widely considered for one the best games in history not just in series.

I name you games that are widely considered for one of the best ever and wildy affected industry of gamein and they are all from one generation, name me games that are widely considered being better games and had better effect on industry that are part of same generation than games that I mentioned.

I understand you don't like that gen and those games, but I here talking about facts.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
KungKras said:

Man I'm getting old.

Where do I start. figuring something out in Zelda and immediately calling all my friends who are stuck in the same place to tell them about it.

Getting called by a friend who figured something out in Zelda.

Hooking up two transfer paks to the console and playing my gameboy pokemon team vs a friend's team in pokemon stadium.

Ruining stick after stick on Smash Bros playing with friends.

Co-Op in Perfect Dark.

The best console FPS multiplayer ever in Turok Rage Wars. Oh god shit got crazy in that game.

I can go on and on. My favourite system of all time. I can also mention that I grew up in Sweden where Nintendo won over the PS1. Nearly all my friends had an N64.

Rage Wars! So much fun. I miss those N64 Turok games.

Rage Wars is such a good game. I think it's the best multiplayer FPS on the N64. Better than Goldeneye by far, and narrowly edging out Perfect Dark, IMO :)

I LOVE ICELAND!