By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo64 turns 20 today

I got a chance to play Mario 64 at my local Nobody Beats The Wiz (yeah, getting OLD lol) about a month before launch, and the first time I got a look at the game in person and got my hands on the controller was seriously a life altering experience!  Got it for Xmas a few months later along with Shadows of the Empire, Waverace 64 and Cruis'n USA.  Still one of my fav consoles of all time.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Where to begin, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Blast Corps, Lylat Wars (or Star Fox 64 if you prefer), Body Harvest, just off the top of my head. N64 was never my focus, PS and Saturn had more of the games I wanted, RPG's mainly but it definitely gave me some great memories.

Mostly, aside from being in awe of Mario and Zelda, what I remember best were the 4-player matches in Goldeneye, so much fun.

Don't ruin the moment

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PC/PS4), Dead Cells (PC)

LordyPlays on YouTube

Where to begin, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Blast Corps, Lylat Wars (or Star Fox 64 if you prefer), Body Harvest, just off the top of my head. N64 was never my focus, PS and Saturn had more of the games I wanted, RPG's mainly but it definitely gave me some great memories.

Mostly, aside from being in awe of Mario and Zelda, what I remember best were the 4-player matches in Goldeneye, so much fun.

Don't ruin the moment

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PC/PS4), Dead Cells (PC)

LordyPlays on YouTube

My favorite memories are going to store on launch day in North America and seeing big boxes with the "N64" logo on them behind the counter as they were unpacking the first waves of systems/accessories.

Was so hyped.

Playing Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, and GoldenEye multiplayer for the first time were wow moments, but I remember also playing Star Fox 64 the first time and feeling the Rumble Pak go off the first time, now that was pretty cool.

All I remember was waiting for Earthbound 64 to come out...

Around the Network

Ah the N64. The best console ever, with a lot of the best games ever, released right in the middle of the golden age of gaming. In Europe we had to wait until early 1997 though, but it was worth it. Such a perfect time. If I could only have one system and one library of games for the rest of my life, it would, without hesitation, be the N64. I have so many good memories and stories to tell I wouldn't even know where to start.

pretty revolutionary system, arguably more revolutionary than the Playstation 1 in that regard. first really highly used Analog controller for a home console (although obviously Sony followed suite quickly).

first debatably revolutionary open world 3D game (Ocarina of Time), first well realized open world platformer (Mario 64), arguably first hugely well received multiplayer and single player FPS for home consoles (007 Goldeneye, especially the multiplayer).

a load of great games for the time in an array of Pokemon games, Donkey Kong 64 (well mixed bag here but still overall well received), Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Super Smash Bros (groundbreaking in itself), Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day.

and I honestlyyyy kind of actually like the controller to this day. people seem to hate it who try to jump in and use it today, I suppose because its awkward to adjust to. But coming from someone who used it years at the time I actually kind of dig it. it doesn't feel that awkward in the hands, the only real issue is the directional bar on the left is awkward to get to.

everyone put on their N64's today and game a bit though! in honorrrr

Best memory with my N64 is when my mother bring me oot and i play it the first time it blows my mind, and one thing to note every person with an N64 can play it today a 20 years old system even the Nes, the quality standards of nintendo are impressive.

34 years playing games.

To me N64 equals fucking Pokemon Snap. Couldn't get enough of that game back in the day. I feel like playing it again right fucking now.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Lots of fond memories of playing with my dad and stepbrother. Hours of Battle Tanx, Golden Eye, Diddy Kong Racing, Super Smash Bros, and Road Rash 64. I've still got my copies of Donkey Kong 64 and Ocarina of Time that I got Christmas '99.